Home remedy for split ends

I noticed that after my husband and I hike my hair get plenty of split ends. I have long hair. I always put conditioner on it and it helps to rejuvenate my hair. But after long hour of sun exposure which I thought will give me sun burn it gives me split ends. I am planning to cut my hair just a little bit. Just to remove those ugly and unhealthy split ends but I saddens me. i don't want to cut my hair. I promise my mom and myself that I will only cut my hair if I return to my country so is there any way I could repair the split end? Or is there any home remedy for this?
@jb78000 (15173)
you can't cure split ends - you can only cut them off. however if sun damage causes them then the next time you go hiking put sun protection cream through your hair - not conditioner which doesn't block damaging rays.
Do you know any cream that protects hair from sun? I thought if I used conditioner my hair will be protected. I put sunblock on my skin but I took for granted my hair. This weekend we are again planning to hike so if you know any sunblock for hair just let me know. Thanks. :)
@jb78000 (15173)
there probably are some but i was think just of standard sunblock. you can shampoo it out when you get home. however if you want something just for hair then look through the leave-in conditioners. there is bound to be one with sun protection in it.
@puccagirl (7316)
• Israel
If you already have split ends, you can't really make them go away, I am afraid, even though there are products out there that claim to be able to do that, but they are all bogus! What you can do is to cut the hair, and then take extremely good care of your hair so that you do not get them again. Do not use too many hair products Protect your hair from the sun Do a deep conditioning besides the conditioners you use now, every once in a while Do not blow dry your hair too much or use straitening irons etc. Do not color your hair too much These tips should really help you improve your hair's general condition, which will prevent split ends as well.
I tried different shampoos and conditioner that promise to treat split ends or prevent it, and those are not true. I even bought some expensive ones but it does not work, as you say those are bogus. When I was in my country my mom used to put coconut milk to my hair and it works for me. But I can not find coconut fruit here in USA.
@pecito (304)
• Bulgaria
I can give u a recipe for long hair damaged by the sun,and therefore,especially for split ends. U need 2 egg yolks,1 soupspoon of rum, and 1 soupspoon of olive oil. U mix it all together,spread on wet hair and spend 15 min. with the mixture on u. The result is great but if ur hair is too long,maybe u need to do the procedure two or three times during the month.
Have you tried this before? I put egg white on my hair before when I made a leche plan because I don't want to waste the egg whites and my mom said that it is good for my hair.She says talk egg white has protein that will helps make my hair look shinny. I also tried olive oil but both of them did not work, so maybe this is the answer combine them, what do you think? Thanks for the hint.
The only remedy that works for me aside from using shampoo every other day and using conditioner everyday is having my hair trimmed every 2 months. The cut is just half inch so its not traumatic hehe. Anyways hair grows fast. Unless you suffer from slow hair growth. I read in an article that hair grows half an inch every month.
Everyone has explained to you that you need to trim your split ends, and do it regularly. It actually then makes your hair grow better and longer. Eat a good diet and it helps as well. Next week, and every time you hike, braid your hair. It is not just the sun, but the wind that splits your hair. Pin your braids up, and wear a hat or scarf over it. You can even put a leave in conditioner on it when you braid it, and it will be like giving it a beauty treatment. You will have to read the label to see which hair products protect from the sun. A beauty supply store would help you. We only get coconuts in certain seasons in the US. You can get coconut milk in the Asian food sections in grocery stores though, in cans. You can get coconut oil in the baking section, and it is good for your hair if warmed and put on it.
@madteaparty (2761)
• Japan
As others have stated, you can't really get rid of split ends. You can cut your hair and then take good care of it so your hair tips won't break that quickly. In my case I use serum to keep my hair healthier, and it helps my tips to break less. Also use a good hair mask to moisture your hair, and try not to damage it too much with things like flat irons, hair dryers, etc.