a one track mind

@jb78000 (15173)
passion about issues is all well and good. in fact it is often very positive. what is tedious though are people who will drag the same thing into whatever is being discussed. i am going to make up some examples but you can see plenty of real ones in here. somebody passionate about the welfare of farm animals. fine. however you do not need to discuss battery chickens and their conditons every time somebody mentions omelettes or uses the phrase 'egg heads'. somebody scared of moths? fine, if odd. but not everything bad that happens is, in fact, the fault of moths. you lost your car keys because you are forgetful, they didn't hide them. they are not responsible for hurricanes (please forget about the chaos butterfly) etc. when do you think passion turns into obsession? and how do you deal with people who can't seem to think of anything else?
@anniepa (27240)
I'm afraid there's no cure for a one track mind! Here's an example I've encountered you may be able to relate to; I know several people who, no matter WHAT I'm trying to discuss, will somehow change the subject to, "There is no proof bunnies like carrots, in fact there's substantial evidence that they can't stand them!" I say, "Gee, isn't the price of gas ridiculous?", THEY say, "You KNOW bunnies hate carrots and the majority of the people agree with me." I say, "Wasn't "2012" a good movie but kind of frightening?" and THEY say, "Now there's even more proof bunnies don't like carrots." I say, "I love my cats and they love me," and, of course, THEY say, "(Insert name of wacko attorney) is going to subpoena a well-known blue bunny and make her admit she's never actually eaten a carrot!" I could go on and on and on, but I think the get the picture. Annie
@jb78000 (15173)
i know the intellectual heavyweights you mean and they are boring. i've tried arguing with them. and you try something like 'well i am a blue rabbit. in fact i am the only blue rabbit. and i quite like carrots' and they do one of three things: tell me i am a deluded fool and post links to 380 youtube videos to prove i don't like carrots tell me british blue rabbits aren't qualified to comment on anything. including what blue rabbits like call me a poo sometimes all three. then you try gameplan number 2: 'who cares whether blue rabbits like carrots?' at which point you get a reply of 40,000 words in one big paragraph and fall asleep.
@anniepa (27240)
Wow, you really nailed it! I don't care what anyone says about British blue rabbits, you're OK by me! Have you noticed how these intellectual heavyweights seem particularly drawn to other intellectual heavyweights who have somehow become famous for being...well, for being what they are? Annie
@spalladino (17924)
Loons of a feather flock together. Really, they do...there's a flock of them outside right now.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Doggone it, now you have gone and gotten this discussion onto "top discussions", and now a moth is going to come by and eat it. Good going! What can you do with people who obsess about things? 1) listen 2) avoid them 3) tell them straight out that they're obsessing, and that it's to a point where it's annoying/scary, whatever 4) try to get a word in edgewise and die of frustration How do I deal with them? Usually either 1 or 2...
@jb78000 (15173)
not my fault. anyway number one might work better if you do something else at the same time. do you think someone obsessing away would notice if you started doing the crossword?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Or read a book or roll your eyes?
@jb78000 (15173)
they'd never notice so you might as well. truly obsessed people aren't that interested in how you respond - they just need someone to talk AT, not to. in fact you could probably cunningly replace yourself with a big picture of you, go for a nice little walk, and come back when they have started winding down.
@spalladino (17924)
Well, we've already discussed knocking them upside the head with a hard object so there goes that suggestion...not that that would work anyway. Passion turns to obsession when, as you said, someone feels compelled to insert their particular issue into every discussion, when it becomes illogical and when facts are intentionally ignored. I would ignore boneheads like that but, in all honesty, they're too much fun to play with.
@jb78000 (15173)
getting them wound up is hardly a challenge though is it. and talking of such people i see one little friend has returned, although their spouse is still nowhere to be seen
@spalladino (17924)
I saw that...myabe the honeymoon didn't go well. I also saw the funniest complaint from one of the obsessive ones to date a few minutes ago. It goes so far beyond ridiculous that it's...well...ridiculous. @ 3honor...goose!
@jb78000 (15173)
if we are thinking about the same comment then i think it goes into 'uncontrolled arrogance' combined with obsession and of course the ridiculous. actually your uncontrolled arrogance is starting to look a bit feeble but i much prefer it.
@RawBill1 (8541)
• Gold Coast, Australia
Sorry, sometimes I can become a little obsessive!
@jb78000 (15173)
yes but your obsession with fruit doesn't dominate your conversation. we know it exists but you have it under control.
hi well here in Gold Crest so many talk about nothing but the food we have and what all we should have which is okay for once in awhile but to start a converstion say a bout how great it was that those trapped miners in Chile were all rescued safely and have someone drag in that white bread is not good for you and we should have more proteins and I am going I was talking about the rescue of those miners for goodness sakes. I think here a lot of people get obessed by what they think is wrong here.I get up and walk out when a great conversation about other things is iterupted by this food issue. I just cannot handle that as here especially we need to keep up with the outside world otherwise this is little more than a prison. I do not want to be here but here I am and I would like to enjoy myself and not be dragged down by negative obessed people.
@jb78000 (15173)
that is wearing - i think you are doing the right thing ignoring the constant complaining. people who whinge endlessly about tiny little things are just draining.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Are you talking about me again? I have not mentioned parrots in a long while. In fact you were the one who mentioned partridges when we were talking about pears. O.K. Have it your way Avocado pears Now I am off: Going to walk down to the sea- ostensibly to check that the grounds are looking good but in reality to look under the Poinciana and Poor Man Orchid trees to see if a parrot has fallen out a nest and broke its wing etc........ Walks ff singing: If you're ever up a tree send for me.......
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
ff should have been off. I really wasn't saying any bad words
@jb78000 (15173)
... cynthi's in a pear tree cynthi is a partridge but thinks that she's a bee... brilliant huh?
@jb78000 (15173)
i don't need meds. i have every incredible talent there is: singing, poetry, art, you name it. just because you can't see it means nothing. well it means you have no appreciation of the arts.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
OMG do you know how many pixels suffer just because we are so mindless as to write, draw leave photos and videos etc lying around? Pixels start out as pixies and they'd stay that way if it weren't for so called "intelligent" nerds and geeks who discovered that if you hook them up to electrickery they become "pixelated". Then they are destined to spend the rest of their days trapped in square or rectangular boxes glowing as a result of an unfathomable equation that converts everyday dull pixies into a zillion coloured pixels. There is only one way to deal with someone so crass and cruel as to "fire up a pixie" and that is to pull the plug out at the socket!
@jb78000 (15173)
nobody except you cares about pixels. this is not callousness. pixels are not sentient beings and pixies don't exist.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Runs sobbing to the corner.... another non believer. Anyway how do you know that "nobody except me cares about pixels"? Have those elves been whispering in your pointy ears again? Have a lettuce leaf.. No that would deprive a snail of its tea.
@jb78000 (15173)
have you just turned into vonmac 3honor?
I usually dont do this unless I am really stressed out about something and cant stop thinking about it. I know its very irritating though so I try my best not to do it. the topic that pops out of my mouth most often is what a loser my ex is. If someone is obsessed with a topic and talks about it constantly I try to just change the subject.
@jb78000 (15173)
probably your ex was a loser but might be better for you to talk about other things. what you could do is find a nice picture of your ex and make it into a dartboard for those stressed moments. lots of fun. and i try changing the subject too with obsessed people, in fact you'll see me feebly trying with those nuclear bomb happy people above, rarely works.
LOL nice response to my comment. I cant stand him but nah I wouldnt want to throw darts at his picture. To me that sounds kind of psycho like something you would see a serial killer due to an intended victim in a horror movie. I do need to try not to talk about my ex so much. Its hard when everyone more stupid stuff comes up about him all the crazy stuff hes doing.
I agree, people who only sound one note are pretty boring. I do not think any of them follow me around. I am fortunate that if someone is singing their one note, most of the people around them ignore them. If I am talking with them face to face in person, I am fairly adept at changing the subject, that is due to having worked with preschoolers, the mentally handicapped and the elderly with dementia. It is all the same thing. Unless of course I am visiting my sister, in which case I make an excuse and leave. She is actually worse than anyone I have run into online and so I feel like I have an ability to cope and ignore.
@jb78000 (15173)
sounds hard work. and if she is your sister you are going to have to put up with her rants. my sister's only obsession is shoes. she does talk about them too much but you can distract her.
@3Honor: She is the only sister I have left. She is a bit older than I am, and has ALWAYS been a compulsive liar. Makes up stories. She has, in the past, admitted it, but does not now. Said she cannot stand to talk about anything boring and she adds details and embellishments to everything. Stories about our mutual ancestors is increasing due to the fact that no one is left alive who can contradict her. On the other hand, she is MY sister, and anyone that hurts her has to deal with me. I have some good things to say about her as well, and she had some formative influences on me.
@bestboy19 (5482)
I have a cousin whose passion is herself. No matter what others are talking about, if she enters the conversation, it suddenly becomes all about her and is no longer a conversation but a monologue. You may find this hard to believe, but people avoid her.
@jb78000 (15173)
i find that very hard to believe. i am sure your cousin is at least as fascinating as she thinks she is and why on earth people find interesting lectures by her on herself boring i have no idea. personally i think you should show your appreciation by taking notes.
@inedible (768)
Avoid, avoid, avoid. When I meet weirdoes, I try my best to avoid having to ever see them or talk to them again. Luckily, I've never had to work with anyone with weird obsessions before. Avoiding them would be hard if I had to see them every day. As for when passion becomes obsession, I think it really just depends on its impact on the person and their friends. When it starts having a negative impact on their lives, that's when it becomes an obsession. "Battery chickens" makes me think of missile batteries. Imagine firing a flock of chickens at incoming enemy aircraft...
@jb78000 (15173)
avoidance is sensible when possible. as for firing a bunch of chickens at enemy aircraft - no, can't see that having much impact, except on the chickens.
I haven't done it yet, but there are some people to whom I'd like to say, "You told us already. Can't you find a new phrase?" or "Isn't there any other person or subject you can talk about?" I suppose I haven't done it because I'm guilty myself.
@jb78000 (15173)
yes that is a tricky one. i suppose the answer is to go and find some more interests for yourself and then come back and tell people they are getting boring.
@djbtol (5498)
I think passion turns into obsession, when thoughts, words and actions start to appear irrational. We can all recognize passion in someone, but when that person 'goes overboard' they are on their way to obsession. At this point theough, the person may catch a clue and realize they need to back off. If not, then in time they will have a true obsession and not be able to put it down themselves.
@jb78000 (15173)
very good point djbtol. i spent a bit of time thinking about this because i would have initially said that obsession and irrationality can be linked but don't always go together. however a mental obsession probably does almost always lead to irrational speech or behaviour.
@Cutie18f (9563)
That's annoying, like it's all they know. Not everybody is of the same opinion, so they better start stretching their knowledge of human differences.
@jb78000 (15173)
think that is unlikely to ever happen. it takes an awful lot to knock an obsessed person into actually thinking again
@sagar21 (1583)
..I have this obsession with living for ever.... ...may be that's nuts.. ...But I want to be immortal... God make me ....so... thanks for the topic.. have a great day/night...
@jb78000 (15173)
it is nuts. i think it would get very boring. first couple of hundred years might be ok, but after that? hmmm.