When it can go wrong, it usually does!

Ive been making my own bread for a while now. I started from scratch, the kneading, the rising, the kneading again, the rising again.....it would take me nearly all day to make bread. The problem was to let it rise in a place where it was warm and without a draft....not easy when you have a/c on or when the windows are open. So I had to use my oven to let it rise there but its not really practical. So I decided to buy a bread maker and now I dont have to do all the kneading and rising, the machine does it all. I then started to experiment with the type of breads. Hubby likes raisin bread and I had a recipe in my booklet that came with the machine but didnt quite like it, so I googled to find a great recipe. Made it and all was fine. Tried it again last week and to my horror, when the time was up, I had a lump of hard dough in the machine....nothing like my previous breads!?!?! What did I do wrong? Ok so I dont give up easily, so off I went to do it again and it just wouldnt work. I tried to stop it before it started cooking to knead it and let it rise but nooooo, it insisted in remaining a hard lump!!! Does anyone know why some recipes work sometimes and why at other times they dont? You ever had this happen to you?
@gdesjardin (1938)
I have a bread machine, but I have never had that problem before. I know my machine has different settings for different types of bread. Did you make sure you changed the setting? Sorry I can't be any more help.
Yup, changed the settings, made sure it was at the right one and at the right size for the bread also. I think it has to do with the temp of the water as someone pointed out. I used boiling water to soak my raisins and it might have still been too hot for the bread. Thanks!
@cdyt7874 (72)
hi magicalbubbles! do you live in a high altitude areas?coz high altitude areas can affect the rising of bread and you also mentioned that you have an air-conditioned room it does affect the rising. you know high altitude means colder air. well i suggest that after you're done kneading and next is proofing. try putting atable spoon of oil on the dough, rolling the formed dough in oil and cover with a cling wrap and let it rise. if you have cabinets try putting it in there.then let it rise. about the bread machine, i don't know how to use that. but have you checked your yeast if it's still good? yeast should react for like 5 minutes to 10.if it's more than 10 minutes and there are still no bubbles, i suggest that you throw it away. also hot water can kill the yeast, maybe you should be checking the temperature of your water. if it's really hot you're bread will not rise. i hope i have helped you and hope to hear from you.good day.
Hi Cdyt! My yeast is perfect as I made white bread after the raisin bread using the same yeast and it worked.......but I think you put your finger on the problem. I used boiling water for my raisins......it might have been TOO hot........Thanks so much, You just solved my problem!! Have a good day also!!
@smacksman (6074)
With reference to a/c and draughts, I would just mention that we made bread on board the yacht thousands of miles from land and with just a tiny propane gas oven. The dough was mixed by hand which is a real messy job but does wonders for the biceps! Good point about the oil - I'll try using that next time. The mix was put in two bread tins and placed in the sun on the deckhouse to rise. So draughts? The Atlantic was blowing 20 knots most of the time! haha Smelling and eating new bread miles from nowhere is such a memorable experience. The simple pleasures in life!