Where are the parents?!

This evening, just as it was getting dark, I took my children to the local shop to buy them magazines. We have to cross a busy junction to get there, and I am always on guard in case one of my kids steps into the road as there is heavy traffic and cars often come round the corners very fast. On our way back, we came across a boy of maybe 7 or 8 years old, playing right near the junction - drawing on the pavement with a rock. I looked around and saw no adult with him, so I asked if he was alone. He told me he had come from a friends house further up the road and was going to the shop. Moments later, his 2 friends around the same age appeared round the corner - one also carrying a rock, and the third with a sharp piece of broken wood. These children had come out, unsupervised, as it was getting dark, playing with dangerous things near a very unsafe road. I waited until they were on their way back before I took my kids home. WHERE ARE THE PARENTS?! It scares me that such young children are allowed out in the dark at all, never mind in such a dangerous place!
I really do tend to question where the parents are in a lot of situations. I do let my children play outside, but never alone, the kids have to play together and preferably with other children as well. That said, there are a couple of children in our neighborhood whose parenting styles that I question. The father of the two children on the corner never seems to know where his children are and when he is looking for one of them he always sends the other child to look for the child that is missing.
I'm kind of overprotective with my kids, but I don't intend to let any of them go anywhere alone til they are at least 11 or 12, and then they must have a phone to call me if there is any trouble
@grkelly (1218)
• Malta
This is just one experience my friend...who knows how many more kids are in danger due to lack of correct supervision and care from their guardians.I cannot understand how they manage to forget or not care at all about their kids. I cannot imagine how i could ever possibly do such a thing because i prefer something bad happened to me rather than to my beloved kids! How i wish there were more caring parents! Neglect is not only a sin but also a crime.
My 5 year old daughter asked me why they were out without their Mummy. Even she knows better than that! My kids have been taught never to go anywhere without me, they have to hold hands when crossing the road and if anyone puts a single toe over the curb before I say go, they get smacked for it. So they may be afraid of me - but they're safe!