Watch out he supports the national sales tax

@gewcew23 (8012)
Democratic candidates have a up hill battle this election and that is probably an understatement. In my state of Arkansas incumbent Democratic Senator Blanche Lincoln Republican Congressmen John Boozman opponent has all but won the election. So for Lincoln to even get back into a respectable position she needs to find a certain wedge issue and apparently she thinks she has found it, Boozman's support for the National Sales Tax or the Fair Tax. I have seen that other embattled Democratic candidates are running similar ads attacking their Republican candidate for their support for this tax. Is this something that you really care about? I just don't see how this is going to counter the GOP charge but what do I know. So what do you think. Personally for anyone who cares about my opinion I wouldn't mind thinking about replacing the current income tax with this sales tax but at the same time I am not going to get all worked up over it. There are a whole lot of more important political battles to fight over and for this reason I doubt that even the most harden supporter of the nation sales tax will even bother.
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Most who support this tax, do so only under the condition that it replace the income tax. If this is the case with Boozman (*giggle*) then I'm with him. It should also include a "prebate" for the lower income brackets to keep the tax system progressive rather than flat and regressive. However, if he is supporting it as an addition to the income tax (as some in both parties have suggested), then I hope he loses by an embarrassing margin, preferably to an independent or 3rd party.
@gewcew23 (8012)
It is a replace not an add on.
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Well in that case I'm all for it and see nothing wrong with the position.
@ZephyrSun (7387)
I am sort of torn on this issue. It would give the government more money I'm sure, since more people buy than work currently. But, on the other hand, how much of a tax are they talking about? I mean could you imagine if it was say 25%, California already has almost 9% sales tax so that would be sort of high to pay both.
@gewcew23 (8012)
Yeah the combination of both federal, state, and local would get pretty expensive. I could see a rise of under the table for cash selling.
@dark_joev (3043)
I support the national sales tax as it would give the federal government more income as we purchase things everyday I think it should exclude groceries and food items not purchases from a restaurant or fast food joint. As for it being an issue I would consider when voting for someone well not really it would be a bonus to the person but the big negative is their party affiliation right now as we have seen what Obama has done with shaking up Washington. Or any politician for that matter who has been elected on the idea that they will change from what their party is which isn't true they will join their party as soon as they get up there. So I am voting for third parties and giving them a shot except for the constitution party as they need to re read parts of the constitution to decide what is and isn't protected under free speech. And they seem to ignore the under god being added in latter.
@gewcew23 (8012)
Well a thumbs up to you for voting third party this year.
@djbtol (5501)
There have been a number of alternative taxing options proposed over recent years, but I have not seen any real movement in that direction. No matter how out of control the current tax system and the IRS have gotten, no-one has started to change it. One critical question - Can we change it? I know this - if you simplify the existing tax code, or go to a new simpler tax code, there will probably be a bunch of IRS people looking for work. Or at least I hope so.
@gewcew23 (8012)
Thanks for your opinion about tax codes and systems.
@anniepa (26468)
I didn't think Lincoln had much of a chance and I agree, at this time there are much more important issues so I don't think this one will help her much. Of course, since you're in that state, you would certainly know the mood of the voters a lot better than me. I've been "sort of" for the national sales tax or whatever anyone chooses to call it for some time, but it has to be done fairly and just CALLING it the "Fair Tax" doesn't make it so. A few nights ago I heard one of the lesser known right-wing radio hosts, it might have been Neil Bortz(?) say, "Wouldn't you rather pay 23% on what you buy than 35% of what you earn?" I must admit I was a bit taken aback; I mean, 35% is the current top income tax rate, which will go back to 39% if they let the Bush tax cuts expire, so the vast majority of us don't pay that much on any of our income and nobody pays it on the first $250,000 and many people don't even pay an average of 23% on their total income, so would that really be "fair" for everyone? I realize he was probably over-simplifying it and I'll admit that's pretty much all I heard. It was late at night, I was in my car and it was a lousy reception so the station kept fading in and out. What I'm trying to say is whether or not I'd support a national sales tax would really depend on how it was calculated. Depending on how it's done, I can see it really hurting the lower and middle income earners and we're suffering enough, aren't we? There would have to be a lot of exemptions from the tax such as food, clothing, medicine, heat, electricity and other necessities. I'm really all for some kind of tax reform if only to make it easier for everyone! I don't want to put anyone out of work, especially now, but the average person should be able to do their own taxes in a relatively short time, the tax code shouldn't be thousands of pages long. Of course, that can be said of everything the government has its hands in, nothing can be short and easy to understand, can it? I know some bills are quite complicated and involved and they have to try to cover all their bases, but does everything have to be thousands of pages and does it have to be in language we need a law degree to understand? Annie
@anniepa (26468)
That just might be a good idea. I'd have to have more details, but one thing it would do is give us more control of our money. Some will probably say I'm a "socialist" or in favor of "class warfare", but I think a gradual decrease of the "prebate" wouldn't be a bad idea if people are serious about cutting the deficit and paying down the debt. Anyway, I don't think this would change my vote either way especially since one person isn't going to get this change made. I'd need to know where the candidates stood on many other issues. Annie
@Taskr36 (13928)
I'm not sure why she thought this argument would help her. My only assumption is that she may try to tie it to the VAT tax that Obama was considering and caused republicans to rail against him. The whole concept of the Fair Tax included the elimination of federal income taxes and a simplification of our tax system since even our own treasury secretary doesn't know how it works.
Well it depends...is it the "fair tax" that would replace our current tax system...or adding on to it. There has been talk by Dems to add on a national tax on top of the current tax system to get more money. Which means more money out of our pockets for them to waste.
@gewcew23 (8012)
As far as I understand it, it is a replacement tax.