What do you give a 80 year old person for their birthday?

My mother is invited to a party of one of her rich friends. This woman wants for nothing at all. My mother wants to put $20.00 in a card for her. I told her to keep the money and give her the card. The $20 is nothing to her. My mother is scraping her pennies together to mak ends meet. Everyone my mothers knows is givng the woman a card with $80 in it.
I don't know what you'd give. When you don't have much I figure something is better than nothing especially if they know you can't afford much. Is there 80 of something that she could use? Like 80 bags of her favorite tea? Eighty pennies? a nice poem listing 80 things you like about her, things she's seen during her lifetime...
My mother thinks a new bible would work best.
I found myself in a similar situation to your mother a few years ago. As a struggling uni student, I could afford very little and felt that money was too impersonal. Then I had a thought. As a keen photographer, I took my camera along to the party, snapped a group shot of the birthday girl and all her guests, and then had the photograph developed, enlarged and framed. It took a couple of months to get it all done but enabled me to save. And do you know what? The photo still takes pride of place on my friends living room wall. The other gifts - and the money in the cards - were appreciated, of course; but they were forgotton.
This is why I am getting my daughter a scrap book for her wedding or her first child being born.
I would say perhaps a warm robe and or some warm slippers. Something she can use and remind her of the comforting gift another woman gave her. Money although needed somehow when it comes to gifting to elders it is best to give something warm and comforting.
I will look for one nice one for my mother for Christmas that would be nice. Thanks
I believe she should just give her the card.Money is not everything.If the woman is turning 80 years old it should not matter to her what she gets.She may just be glad to have friends and be thankful that she is still living to see how the world is changing around her.
She was given a lot of envelopes that day.
Just give her some plants and something to knit and she'll be fine. A card with eighty dollars in it won't do her any good. It means she'll have to spend it compared to a gift that's already been spent.
I can see that as well. I know she is going to get a lot of money rom the party. But,nothing she don't already have.
Just a card and the fact that she will be spending time with her friend should be enough. If you mother doesn't think that is good enough to give her friend for her birthday then perhaps she could offer to take her to lunch at a later date to celebrate with her after all the hoopla of her birthday has passed. I know that is what I would do if I knew an elderly person that was getting ready to have one of their milestone birthdays.
@sedel1027 (17854)
Since she doesn't want anything, I would just get her a card or something that she could appreciate - like flowers.
The birthday person might appreciate someone who is willing to spend some extra time with her instead of the money. Is there a way that your mom can do that?I can understand that your mom wants to give her money, but that is not all that people need.
I usually just give a nice card.
Although money as little as $20 for a rich woman is nothing as we know of this, there is no other things is as simple as giving money for party than gifts. You have to budget on your spending to see whether if it is beyond your limitation. Actually, giving $20 for a birthday party is not a shame for majority of people.
@jaiho2009 (39001)
hello gift, Since the celebrant is already rich,money or material things is not important anymore,plus,she's old enough to keep things. A card will do and an old photo of her younger days in a pretty handmade frame. A picture that will remind her of her happy moments,or something special. Just a suggestion. Have a good weekdays ahead
@Simon1223 (902)
In my view, giving presents to someone is a way to show your love and care to him or her. So it doesn't matter what you give him or her. To a woman who is very rich, money is nothing to her. You'd better give her something that you made by yourself. When she receives such present, she will understand your mind and feel very pleasure because she knows you've spent a lot of time on this present.
@Fishmomma (11467)
I would make her something like cookies to enjoy if she can have sweets. Last year I gave two people a box of homemade muffins and they were delighted with the gift. One of them passed around her gift to share with her friends.
@jennbart (1332)
I think $20, $30, $100 would all be nothing to her anymore since you said she us RICH!.. why dont your mom tell the birthday celebrant " I do not have any gift to you other than my presence in your birthday.
@prinzcy (5058)
Well, let your mother be. My mom would definitely be stubborn and refuse to back down if I told her no. She would have thousands of reason if you ask her not to. For the lady, you can give her anything if she's not picky. Objects like flowers, chocolates or even pets would be nice. If she does, then you need to consider the gift wisely.