What would you do if you lost it all?

You lost your job and could not find another one. Your lights are shut off and you can't find the money to pay it. Your fridge is empty and your kids are crying. Your a single mother with now family to turn to. Your roof is the last thing you have of your life before.... what would you do? Please note I am not talking about me.
I would be very thankful that I still had the roof over my head. At least you're not staying in a homeless shelter. I pretty much lost everything (but not quite this drastic) over the last two years. My son was in a wreck and I had to fly to the hospital to stay with him and could no longer work....it's a long story!
I stayed with my daugter four weeks in the hospital. I know the pain. I am blesed being this is not my situation. I hope we all can keep our place to live. Hope your son is doing well.
I stayed in the hospital with him for over 4 months, then stayed in the nursing home with him for 6 months. I finally have him at home with me now! He is improving slowly! thanks
You would have to do what you have to do. Swallow your pride and go on public assistance. The economy is so bad right now there are more people that need help than there have been in a long time. Even if people find new jobs they don't pay as well nor do they have the benefits of their old employer. I worry about the same things as well that we can provide for our kids and keep our home. Sometimes my kids don't like me to go to my part time job but that is what's helping us keep the fridge filled & the lights on.
I know and I just got to be happy for my place right now. It has a new fridge and new food to fill it up.
@smileonstar (4014)
wow!!! this sound so Frustrating... If this happen to someone and it could be anyone if we keep on loosing jobs like this everyday. One thing that I always do, save on side, so it could be helpful in some situation. Another way, family would be the best for now cuz no one want to be like that but you need food to feed the children and you need to survive this problem. another thing, sell your valuable item or get any job that you can get as soon as possible.
I would think this would work for a little while.
@Strovek (870)
I went to a very expensive seminar a few years back. One thing I learned from the seminar is that there is always a way to earn some money. It may not be much but it is possible to survive. I wouldn't want to be in that situation though. Easiest way is probably, buy something and sell but a better way is to sell ideas. It is very hard work.
I guess in the right place and with the right items you can sell them.
@CatGods (4599)
yep I've been there. hubby got sick and got fired from his job and we lost our house just over 6 years ago. I had a pt job of maybe 10 hours per week. My son was in his last year of high school. There was a dunkin donuts and every night they throw away donuts and beagles, they would put them in a big bag and put them in the dumpster. We were glad just to have that. We ate at the salvation army for lunch during the week days. We would go out at night and collect cans at the local park and every 2 weeks when people put out their stuff for the recycling, we would take their cans too. It would take us all week to make 5 to 7 bucks but that's how we got milk and just a little bit of gas for the truck. I knew of a woman who has a son who had houses that needed major fixing up so that's how we found a place to live so we wouldn't be on the streets. He left us move in without security deposit and first months rent. Some people refer to him as a slum lord, we didn't care. We still live here in that same house which is not up to city code. Some people say why don't you report him and make him fix up the house. I say why? If I do that the rent will go up or the house might be condemned and then either way we will be out on the street again. So it's a case of put up and shut up. Really the house isn't THAT bad. I never see the landlord. I think the last time I saw him was the summer of 2009 and he lives in the same small town that we do. As a matter of fact his mom lives a block down the street and around the corner. As for money, things are better for us now. I have lowered my rates as a tarot card reader which has brought in my customers. I have 3 online stores but haven't sold much, it's still money. We chopped the satellite and now read books. The only creature comfort we have is internet which is fine cause there is plenty to do online, sites to look at and things to read. We changed all the light bulbs in the house to energy efficient. In the winter we keep the hear at 64. We don't go any where so once per month I fill the truck up with gas for about 40.00 and it will last all month. If we get bored being in the house, we go for a walk and yes we still collect cans, but now we save up the cans and cash them in at winter time because we can get more money, the price is up in the winter months. Food we buy in bulk and when it's on sale. We also cook from scratch. New clothes, I haven't got new clothes in years and if I do need something I shop at salvation army. We have a crawl space that was kind of drafty so we stuffed plastic grocery bags in it for insulation, works great. Birthday and christmas gifts are non-existent. We do not get depressed over it because we are glad to have a roof over heads and food in the fridge. We feel that when the going gets tough, we have to get creative. They say that necessity is the mother of invention.
@carmelanirel (21108)
Well the first thing I'd do is look to G♥d and see where He leads me. It can be to a different job, location or even going to get help from a organization.
That is good for a short time as well. But,something is better than nothing. I would hit the food stamp office quick.
I think the first thing to do is ask for help to your governemt, to appropiate instances, they can support poor families and give them paid job.
That would work as well.
Well, I guess we would have to go through all of the things that we have in our family and get rid of some of those things so that we would be able to keep the roof over our head. I would also go to wel-fare and food stamps office and try to get assistance in that way so that I could try to ensure that there was food on the table for my children. Other than that, I really think I would spend a lot of time crying because it would depress me so.
@sid556 (31018)
I would live in my tent if it were warm enough and I would babysit or do some sort of work on my own for cash to eat. I don't know for sure but I've been somewhat in that spot and I would find a way one way or another. We did the tent life once for a while when my girls were really small. I've always scraped to get by and you just do whatever it takes. We maybe haven't had the meals we want always but we haven't starved yet. Ok this is just too scary a conversation because it is too close to possible reality.
@sedel1027 (17868)
I woudl move my family to the nearest and safest homeless shelter and do any job to feed my kids. Rely on public assistance if I had to, its those types of situations that the programs are made for.
@hakuyo (201)
i would just kill myself really because what can you do when you are in a situation like this? Beg from people? Or just wait to die? BUT IF I kill myself, what about my children? Oh my god, your question is kind of hard, but i hope something like that does not happen to me:)
@sender621 (14956)
I ould certainly be devastated if i lost it all. Going on would be a struggle in itself. i would have to turn to a close friend or family member for support. i would need their help during such a crisis in my life. There is always hope, but sometimes we need encouragement from others to see it through.
I would take a strong decision to seriously make some bucks working day and night to feed my child first and next to run all house hold things
It's been six months from the time I lost my job. I was down in the dumps, no one to turn to, no friends, no family. I'm a single mom with a four year old depending on me. It is a very difficult situation but you see, miraculously we get by. I tried everything, from online jobs, transcriptions, etc. and what was able to pull me out of this situation is perseverance, positive attitude and faith in God. Though if you you are in that situation, it might be difficult to look positive and to think positive, but you have to try because it attracts positive things as well, like magnet. You have to believe in yourself and you have to dwell on the things that you can do and not on the situation you are in. "Easy to say" you might say, i agree, i thought the same thing when i heard that, but it works. You will notice, and what a wonder, with the bills piling up, budget for necessities, you are able to cover those unconsciously. Be positive, trust God and He will do the rest :)!
@lynnemg (4540)
I have been in a very similar situation in my life. It was definately not easy to get through, but I did it. First of all, I learned that, even if I didn't think I should, I HAD to ask for help. I went to every local agency that I could think of to apply for assistance so I could make sure that I took care of my kids. I didn't want to, but I knew that I HAD to. I had to change my mindset at that time because I was raised that "we just don't ask for help". I had to realize that I needed help for my kids' sake and it wasn't because I wasn't trying, I had just run into hard times and needed help. It was hard work going here and there to get help, but I managed. At the time, I didn't even have a car and I had to walk with my kids everywhere I went. I not only applied for assistance, I also applied for jobs all day long, I went everywhere in the town we lived in. My determination paid off in the end when I not only mamaged to hold onto my home and everything else, I also got not one, but two jobs. It was hard at first, and took a while to get back on my feet, but I did it. For me, the key to surviving was the determination that I had to take care of my kids. I had to step away from myself and my feelings to come up with a solution. I knew that if I didn't, my kids would suffer. So, I made myself a list of what I needed to accomlish and the steps I needed to take to get there. I worked hard and worked fast, taking things one step at a time, until I finally accomplished my goal. I also had to have a positive attitude and tell myself each and every day that I WOULD do it. I spent my days walking with my kids across town, stopping at every place I could to get job applications, and stopping everywhere I could think of to apply for assistance. I talked to people who could turn me in the right direction. I spent several days, walking for more hours than I would have worked if I had a job at the time, all while pushing one kid in an umbrella stroller while holding another on top in a car seat and keeping the oldest by my side and carrying a diaper bag on my shoulder. It really sucked, but I did my best to make it fun for us. In the end, I grew into a stronger woman because of the experience and I learned that I can accomplish a lot in a few days if I just stay on target.
@Simon1223 (902)
I couldn't imagine such a terrible picture of your description. But I still believe that there is always a way out. At least you have a house to stay at. You could ask your neighbors for temporary help. I'm sure that most people in the society are kind to help others. Please notice that I mean "temporary". The only person you could rely on for ever is yourself.
@prinzcy (5065)
Well, when I lost my job months ago, I was pretty frustrated as well. Of course things were a bit different than the situation that you proposed and I have someone to turn to. I don't even have crying kids as well, let alone a single mother. But I still need to pay bills and loans. From spending more than a thousand a month for them, I need to cut and pay for one at a time. Red bills been arriving since then. I started looking for a job before the contract ended but you know how hard to get one these days. I've been doing jobs online but didn't earn enough to pay for everything. My last resort was mortgaging my stuffs. I would have set a yard sale if such event available here. That helps me to get back on track. Now, when I look back and feel thankful that I managed to get through it.