Stop The Madness-Reality TV

@jujunme (2404)
The world of TV viewing has, in my opinion, gone MAD.it seems to me that if you can walk or talk (and may i add not very intelligently) you too can have your own reality show. I could possibly name here, the incredible list of reality programs now hogging the airwaves, but i would probably be here forever. Anyone who watches a good amount of tv knows exactly what i'm talking about.But, what really boggles the mind is the popularity of these programs, especially my all time favorites (ahem) Jersey Shore, The Bad Girls Club, The Exterminator(yikes), Wife Swap,Bridezillas and ones so similar to these their titles need not be mentioned. Believe me i do to some degree understand those who for nothing else but pure fun and laughter, religiously tune in to these programs, but what i will never understand is how little talent, intelligence or pure common sense is needed for these network and cable program owners to decide to put them on the air in the first place. it seems to me, the meaner you can be, the angrier you can be, the drunker you can get and the more foolish you can act is the main attraction for the network gurus to give you a shot at fame and fortune.very sad, but oh so true.
@sid556 (31006)
Hi Jujunme, They are successful because of the ratings which are right up there because people love them! I agree that they are ridiculous and probably not even reality. I'm pretty sure they are all probably staged and edited. I, personally don't watch much tv. I have one or two shows that I watch somewhat regularly but I can live without. I have basic tv and would not pay the price for anything more elaborate. Still there have been times when I've left the tv on when I'm done with whatever it is I was watching and I can clearly see how easy it would be to get drawn into these programs. I think the last reality show I saw was the Kordashians {sp} and that was only because the tv got left on by my daughter and I woke up to it. These and the talk shows...I can see how you can get drawn to them but I just refuse to spend my time getting caught up in someone elses drama that is probably not even real.
@jujunme (2404)
"They are successful because of the ratings which are right up there because people love them." and that's exactly what is so mind boggling.The popularity of these programs where people religiously tune in is hard for me to comprehend.I can understand if once in awhile people need an escape from the reality of their own lives and are tuning in to get a few laughs,but for people(especially kids) to believe this is the way most people are in "real life" is somehow firghtening, especially if this behavior is being emulated.
@sid556 (31006)
I know it! I don't understand the fixation on it either. I mean it is not limited to the reality shows....its as if they are more interested in other peoples lives than their own whether it be celebrities, talk shows or reality shows. I just don't get it.
Maybe these shows are what's being shown now because real actors are demanding more than production companies can pay or want to pay. What I don't understand is why game shows, except for Jeopardy, are so popular.
@jujunme (2404)
I really can't agree since the production companies keep adding more and more so called reality shows, it seems, on a monthly basis.They must be paying out a fortune to all of these people. Even if half of these shows were taken off the air, they would be able to afford to pay real actors and actresses.Unfortunately, i believe these companies noticed what a large audience these programs were attracting and just kept adding more and more. But i do agree with you regarding the game shows, i am totally lost in understanding their popularity. i'm even surprised Jeopardy is still on the air, since it takes some intelligence and knowledge to enjoy it. it seems to me the dumber a program is,the more you see of them.
@romzz05 (573)
I never watched those shows you mentioned. Well reality TV is easy and cheaper to make I guess than the usual. And i think they rather see a brat make a fool of herself than do charity work or anything good for humanity. I do watch survivor, amazing race and American Idol which at least require set design and millions of dollars in cash prizes. Reality cooking shows are fun like Iron chef and Top chef.
@jujunme (2404)
As i mentioned in some of my responses, competition shows like The Amazing Race(love it) Survivor and American Idol are very entertaining and at least show you the better side of people doing something productive with their lives, the same can be said for cooking shows, i really enjoy Top Chef and Hells Kitchen(i know the head chef screams and yells a lot, but it's a good show)and you make a good point when you mention it may be cheaper to make these kinds of shows, but everyone attached to thse train wrecks are making a fortune due to their enormous popularity , which i will never understand, maybe it's like you said people rather watch others making complete fools of themselves, which in my opinion syas a lot about the world we live in today.
@ravinskye (8242)
I know what you mean. Especially now that they are taking popular characters off one reality show and giving them their own train wreck shows. Like Megan and Daisy from Rock of love both had their own dating shows and I think were both on I love money. Brett Michaels had 3 dating shows and now is having another one about his life. Plus now there is a Rock of Love girls where are they now show starting with some of the popular ones from his dating shows. Plus then New York got her own dating show twice. Then Real and Chance got their own dating show twice from hers and now have some stupid adventure show. Some are good but it's sometimes sad how they let the fame from it go to their heads and they think they are something special.
@jujunme (2404)
Yes!, it's like a vicious cycle.it's bad enough these people managed to somehow get their own reality show, then, to add insult to injury, some of them actually go on to star in other "train wreck" programs. and as far as these people letting the fame "go to their heads" (which they shouldn't), you can blame the millions of people who allow this to happen by tuning into these programs religiously. Waht a sad commentary on society as a whole.
@sender621 (14956)
When reality tv first became popular, the shows were a bit extreme. You couldn;t help but to watch. Now everyone has some kind of reality TV show. Some of them just are not worthy of being aired.
@jujunme (2404)
I agree,At least the ones that were aired in the beginning weren't half as extreme as they are today.They just don't make any sense. There is no talent involved and the fighting, arguing and meaness portrayed on these programs, you can find on any street corner.What gets to me is how popular a lot of them are,it's a little mind boggling.
@carpediem17 (1317)
yup, reality tv has really hit the big time and not in a good way most of the time. It just spikes up the TV networks viewership that's all. I only like Survivor (for the umpteenth time) for its games which are quite fun sometimes and The Amazing Race. I think American Idol is a talent quest so it doesn't really count. If I remember correctly, there was another Reality Hit show wherein marriage was at the stake! Despite these Reality TV show, the contestants are not always acting *real* in that sense and promotes a culture of artificiality and temporal relationships. I do not therefore think that Reality TV show should emulate real live living!
@jujunme (2404)
As i mentioned in my discussion, it would take forever for me to list the titles and types of reality programs that in my opinion, are completely useless.but, in all fairness, i must say there are some good ones. I simply love The Amazing Race and never miss an episode, i love the competition aspect.Survivor can also be listed in this category. As for your comment "the contestants are not always acting real" all i can add to that is, i certainly hope not!
@emarie (5454)
I'm not a really big fan of reality TV, the ones I do watch are contest type TV or specialty like Ghost Hunters, Destination Truth, American Idol, Mythbusters. I would guess they all are categorized as reality TV. But most of my TV watching consists of Hour drama's or comedies. I really don't get the popularity of thinks like Jersey Shore, the Hills or the Housewife's series. Honestly, I just get pissed of by hearing it. But in Jersey Shores case I think it's like watching a train wreck. People like seeing 'real life' drama, although producers push these people to make it more dramatic. I'd like for all these people to just go away but it's the general population that is making them popular (and rich at the same time).
@jujunme (2404)
Contest programs are fun and entertaining.I love the Amazing Race, and i do watch American Idol as well.But as i mentioned before, these are in a different class than many of the other so called reality programs and unfortunatley they seem to be the most popular.Especially Jersey Shore.I watched it once, just to see what all the fuss was about and i can honestly say,i was embarassed by the behavior of these people.I can go into any street corner bar and watch the same kind of behavior these people (who by the way are making a ton of money,) portray on a daily basis.Sickening!
@asyria51 (2870)
I really dislike reality tv in most cases. THe only one that watch consistently, or really even ever, is Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Then i ususally ignore all the drama and just watch the reveal of what the new house looks like. I have gotten some good ideas of things to do in my own house, but of course not to the extent as is done on the show.
@jujunme (2404)
Not to say there aren't a few good Reality shows like the one you mentioned.Even though i rarely if ever watch this program,i've heard good things about it. i wouldn't even put it in the same class as the ones i mentioned.Cooking, decorating and programs that offer ideas to better your life are in a different category altogeher There are just TOO many others that make no sense to me at all.