Belief in Human Nature...?

Omagh, Northern Ireland
I don't know if you read this story,but I was reading an article recently about (I think) a University Professor who had his laptop stolen..He was more concerned about the work in progress that was stored on the machine,as there were no backups saved from it.A while later,he received a delivery in the post..The thief had backed up his data from the laptop,and returned it (The data,not the laptop!)to him on a USB Memory Key! The Prof Declared this act restored his faith in Human Nature.. What do You think?!
That is great to hear the person was decent to do that. Not that stealing the computer was good. That is like someone finding a wallet and taking the cash and mailing everything else back. That was great.
@topffer (36113)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
Many pick-pockets are dropping -- empty -- wallets in public mail boxes : this is not enough to "restore my faith in Human Nature"...
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2010/10/17/15722766.html here's a link to a news report on the story..
@topffer (36113)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
Nice story. It remembers me a French song that Georges Brassens wrote to thank a burglar that had not stolen his guitar . Since Robin Hood, we know that thieves can be kind : is it enough to restore our "faith in Human Nature" ?
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
It makes me think of the Joke about someone's car having been taken as the keys were in the ignition..the car was returned to their driveway with a Card on the dashboard,a written apology that the thief's wife was expecting a baby,their car had broken down and they were desperate for a way to get to the hospital,and as a thank you enclosed a couple of theatre tickets.. The couple went to the theatre,came back,and the house had been thoroughly burgled!
@topffer (36113)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
It's no cricket . I wish that they enjoyed the play. It sounds like an urban legend, but some urban legends have a true basis .
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I thought when I recalled that story from before,it was being told as a Joke,but now you mention it,it's possible it could have been under the category of an Urban Legend too..I'll have to look it up again to check!
@gtargirl (5385)
Disturbingly funny. A thief with a . . . um . . . a conscience? Was there a return address???
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
The article didn't mention that part of the story,but somehow I get the impression the thief might have had a conscience,but they weren't stupid!
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2010/10/17/15722766.html
@vijay12 (1643)
Human Beings are essentially good.I have had the good fortune of being helped during crucial moments in my life,by many.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
You've had something stolen from you that was returned in part by the thief?