Coming out my EARS!

@ElicBxn (60884)
So, I mentioned back in the spring when I found Daisy. And the 2 I inherited from the friend that died... Have I mentioned Sparky? He was found in a car engine... He's really cute, but a bit fearful of feet, so you can't pick him up off the floor, but you can if he's on a bed or chair - but he'd rather you didn't, pick him up I mean, he LOVES to be pet... Well, then, a couple of weeks ago, a coworker of my former supervisor (not the one I quit over, but the one I worked directly under) had to give up her two cats. They are 5 years old and FAT! I mean REALLY FAT! But they are fixed, so all they need is a shot and they can be placed... Actually they are declawed (something I wouldn't do unless it was for self defense like with Nino.) Their names are Mo and Diva (changed from Patches). Well, today the lady who arranged for us to take in Sparky and her cats, Nef and Tuti, was at her son's school and one of the teachers had a kitten wander into the gym. Now, she's a bold little thing, a very dark tortie (she has a cute "thumb print" on her head.) He was calling her G.C. for Gym Cat... well, that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. So, we are going to call her Gwen, after Torchwood's Gwen Cooper (gee, its still G.C.) but I was calling her "Gwennie" and "Gwenifur" Got to track down some pictures...
@eileenleyva (10964)
Cute cat tales! You must have a wonderful home! You are a blessing to these furry friends, ElicBxn!
@ElicBxn (60884)
Now I just need to find about a dozen homes!
Jasper - This is a cat I rescued and gave to my niece. When found he had a collar on that was in danger of choking him, and bald spots where he had not cleaned himself well and fleas, of course. He is big, and beautiful. His face almost looks more like a dog.
I like the name Gwenifur.And I think torties are adorable. I am not getting any more cats. I will let these go by attrition. I want to travel and it is not fair to them.Still when I see kittens I get this great "Awwwwww" thing going on. When I had to move my son's stuff out of his house (long story, he could not be there) there was a bob tailed stray youngster. My soon to be ex dil kept being mean to it. I told my niece about it, she recently had a cat die. She said if we could "get ahold of him" bring him to her. Well, hubby was over doing something and the kitty just put himself in the car. He was in rough shape, but is a healthy big boy now, six months later. I did not call him a Manx because I saw some other bob tail kitties on TV at the niece's house and he behaves and looks more like them. Does not seem to have the longer hind legs of a Manx. He is a strange looking kitty. If I have a pic I will post it. They named him Jasper. I would have taken him home if she had not wanted him.
@ElicBxn (60884)
He's handsome, but doesn't look like a Japanese Bobtail either, there is a "defect" that leads to short/no tails that in the tailless ones can have some nerve problems with their back ends - not that the "stubbies" have the problem and I'm glad Jasper doesn't...
My mom's Siamanx had that problem. There is an American Bobtail that is a recognized breed and does not have any bloodline from Manx or from Japanese bobtail. It is said to be a genetic mutation that has been bred into other types of cats to eliminate some of the problems and keep the breed healthy.
@blue65packer (11835)
Boy do you have alot of cats to take care and place in new homes! Wow! I am glad you are doing this and these cats aren't left on their own or put in a kill shelter! I hope the ones that are placed all go to good homes! Maybe the 2 that are very fat lose some weight! They sound like they are fatter then some of the barn cats I feed!
@ElicBxn (60884)
Yeah, Diva and Mo are really fat, but I think I'm already seeing a bit of weight loss... of course, Mo got out on the cat porch and then couldn't figure out how to get back in and I had to go out and get him! Poor baby...
I love little kitties they are so sweet. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into taking a kitten, but I think Iam all petted up at the moment, whenever I try to take on two cats one of them always ends up dying or running away or something.
@ElicBxn (60884)
that's why mine are inside cats...
@cerebellum (3871)
More cats! I know they can be hard to resist and you seem to have a big heart! Are you going to try to place them all? The kitten sounds really cute, I tend to favor the bold ones! I imagine that would be hard. You would get attached to them and then have to let go of them. I have heard that getting fixed makes them fatter. Do you think that is true?
@ElicBxn (60884)
No, over feeding them makes them fat. Now, since you fix them right about the age most of them slow down, people think it makes them fatter, but while having kittens keeps them thin (because it drains the body) and hunting for females in heat can put a tom off his feed too, really it isn't the fixing that makes them fat, but the fact that they are less active...
@bellis716 (4806)
Cats coming out of your ears is right. I'd have to make them wear name tags, or I'd forget who's who. Do you keep notebooks for each cat?
@ElicBxn (60884)
nah, the only ones we can't tell apart are Emily and Elmer, so when we got them fixed, we had them notch Elmer's right ear instead of his left one so we could tell them apart... we also have their sister Elizabeth. We THOUGHT they were set to go to a barn, but that fell through, that's why we notched their ears... well, part of why we notched them... they are so feral they make the other 3 feral cats seem friendly!
@bunnybon7 (36901)
• Holiday, Florida
wow so you are really the cat lady huh? just like i used to be. yrs ago. before i became dog lady. hopefully you will get some pics. cool
@ElicBxn (60884)
I don't deny being a crazy cat lady... I guess I'm just too soft hearted!
@cyrus123 (6383)
It sounds like you really have a collection of cats! You must really like them. I do, too. I've had cats in the past but I have all I can afford right now with my horse and the dog. That's interesting about Sparky being found in a car engine! He was lucky he wasn't hurt!
@ElicBxn (60884)
fortunately, the owner of the car saw him, or heard him, and didn't turn on the car... He's a cutie, but now he looks so big compared to the new baby! speaking of the new baby, I wonder where she's off at...
@BarBaraPrz (20104)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
There ya go again, collecting kitties... They're so much fun, though, and really nice to have around on a cold day.
@ElicBxn (60884)
And this is another baby, gosh, its been a while since we've had 3 kittens at the same time, and its been since 04 that we had so many different ages... '04 we had Gizmo, born in early May, Ping and Pong born in late May and Solo born on June 22... I clump them together by calling them the "4 of '04."
Do you agree with most that say declawing a cat makes them meaner?
@CatsandDogs (13964)
How many do you have now Elic? Or should I even ask? lol I can't imagine having so many! Wow! My hubby would've been in a nut house if I came near thaat many. My aunt has now 20 something cats and 20 something dogs. Imagine that! lol
@ElicBxn (60884)
Gwen on scale - trying to figure out how old she is!
at 8 a.m. yesterday we had 31, by 5 we had 30!!!
@dragon54u (31615)
I can't believe you took in more cats! You have a big, big heart but geez, don't you feel overrun sometimes?! I'm taking care of 6 strays and I already feel like nearly overwhelmed--especially since Buffy appears to be very pregnant! I just got into Torchwood a few weeks ago, it's a great program. Jack Barrowman is just dreamy, even if I'm not his type. He's a really good singer, too!
@ElicBxn (60884)
Yes he is, and he is just dreamy... well, John Barrowman may be attached, but Jack isn't too picky... of course, we aren't "Pretty" enough for him...
@paula27661 (15899)
I wish I could collect kitties like you do! I love torties; in fact my beautiful Rosie is the most lovely natured tortie ever! I am thinking about getting a job working with cats. I was in the shower just this morning and I got to thinking that my dream of owning a cattery is more likely to come true if I could manage to earn and save some money and, because I believe one should do what one is passionate about, I considered working with cats may be the solution, I just have to find a job! Good luck with Gwennie!
@ElicBxn (60884)
I have to say, the 3 torties we already had have attitudes, tho Prissy is settling down now that she's spayed, and Diva's a calico (or a tortie with white) and she's got that whole attitude thing too... hard to tell with Gwen just yet
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yep, I'm pretty sure you have mentioned Sparky before. The more the merrier? Or maybe the more the meowier?