Comfort Reading.

@hvedra (1623)
What do you read when you are feeling down or are laid up with the 'flu? I tend to re-read the Harry Potter books, Chocolat by Joanne Harris or Deric Longden's The Cat Who Came In From The Cold. I think it is obvious I like happy books when I'm not well. What about you?
@derek_a (10902)
I like to read books that help me escape the humdrum realities of life with the 'flu or whatever illness I have. I like Aurthurian legends which may or may not have happened way back in medieval times. The idea of Merlin particularly fascinates me. _Derek
@hvedra (1623)
I used to read a lot of Arthurian stuff including Mary Stewart, Marion Zimmer Bradly, Stephen Lawhead, Bernard Cornwell, Helen Hollick, Persia Woolley and others. The trouble is that there were a lot of not so good authors who tried to tackle the same themes and didn't do it very well. Merlin is a fascinating character, I even worked my way through Nikolai Tolstoy's The Coming of the King!
I also reread instead of reading something new. And, like you, I have my own favorites but, as I´m surelly a lot older than you, my readings are different. Jane Austen is one of my favorite books to reread. Jane Eyre is another I lve at those times. I also like to reread some books in Spanish whose names I don´t know in Eglish as my native language is Spanish. Happy posting!
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
Mysteries are my favorite no matter how i feel.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
i AGREE. i LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A GOOD ONE. hAPPY TUESDAY TO U & YOURS. tHANKS for the response.
I honestly don't have any particular books tha I use for comfort when I am sick - I just pick up a book that interests me...I do however go back to the Katy series or The Neverending Story if I wanna re-read good books.
@bestboy19 (5482)
I'm rarely down or laid up. I usually read whatever book is next in line.
I read a lot of Ray Bradbury for comfort reading. I love "Fahrenheit 451" and "The Martian Chronicles".
Reading anything usually cheers me up, but I'll usually reach for something lighthearted and fun. I tend to read YA Fantasy or children's books when I'm down. These days I've been reading the Disney Fairy books. (At nineteen. Yeah. NO SHAME!) I like happy books most of the year though... not just when I'm sick or depressed.
I read magazines. I like things I can finish quickly, or at one sitting. I want to complete it, before I take another nap.