Downright Low Down Labor Strike

Singapore
I am not only perplexed but disturbed with the latest news where firefighters are going on an all country labor strike on the forthcoming Bonfire Night celebrations. I just do not know what is coming to this world especially with these people at that side of the globe, where they can actually conceive and do such a thing. They are civil servants and calling a strike on such a volatile occasion is to be unbecoming. I hope that members in the UK are aware of this despicable plan and that you would all be able to stop these vile unions from carrying out such a strike without realizing the grave consequences it carries. Talking about terrorists, I'd say this is an act of domestic terrorism. What is it with these people anyway? Where's civic mindedness? Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323752/Firefighters-strike-Bonfire-Night-prompts-new-union-militancy-fears.html
That is terrible to hear and I can only hope that the plans don't go through. However, I can say that in my past experiences, I've noticed that the vast majority of when strikes occur is when it is at the worst possible time for the citizens that aren't involved in that area of service. I don't know about bonfire night in Great Britain, but I know that it would be terrible if our firefighters were to strike right now because we have a lot of wildfires going on.
dorannmwin, Like you, I am hoping that this strike would not take place and never be allowed at all in the future. The economy is already so bad and the recovery crawling at snail's pace - it will just make matters worse with these resource sapping labor strikes. Also, this is a civil service we are talking about and taking matter into their own (firefighters) hands is just wrong from every angle.
@cynthiann (18635)
• Jamaica
This is so awful. I do hope they do not strike. Bonfire night is what we, as Brits do. Well I do not do it where I live now but when in the U.K. it was wonderful. How could they stand by if there was an accident or fire and not respond? How could they live with each other? We used to have a big bonfire on the beach and roast potatoes in the ashes. It was such fun! I do hope that they change their minds!
cynthiann, I do not think any civic minded fire fighters there would really want to be involved in the strike which is actually motivated forcibly by the worker's union there. In Europe, these unions are really powerful and once they carry out these strikes, the country's just literally would come to a standstill. Everyone will be affected, starting with those that are related to and/or requires their services or businesses. Calling fire fighters to go on this strike on such an occasion is not only unthinkable but low down unbecoming. I hope that the governments in Europe will reconsider letting these unions have so much authoritative power to do such damages to both the economy and country. Again, that will be another learning curve there to actually realize and evolve. Let's pray that the issue will be resolved before the event or we will just have to have this discomfort and worry of a fire breakout.
@bingskee (5238)
how the world is changing... it is almost unbelievable that public servants can pose a strike. it defeats the principle behind public service.