Do you cook with salt?

My neighbor gave me some food last night and I tasted it later on. it was fresh as could be. Nothing but black pepper was on it. So,she called to find out if I ate it yet. I said no and told her I tasted it. Then I asked her if she cooks with salt she said no. Because,she does not want people to come over and eat and not want salt in their food. I can understand this being that I don't cook with black pepper. I just don't like it in my mouth. So,she has black pepper on it but can't cook with salt. What is wrong with this picture... I will not be eating it I will drop it in the trash,wash her plate and bring it back to her.
@natnickeep (2340)
Salt has become a new health concern for a lot of people. To much of it can kill you or make you ill. When you learn to cook well you learn that salt can dry out a lot of things when you use it in cooking. It's best to add it after. I personally use garlic powder and a little seasoned salt on most things, but just a little. Pepper it depends on what I am cooking. When cooking for people you don't usually, you should leave the salt and pepper out and let them add it to their liking.
A drop of salt will not kill anyone. But,it will take the freshness out of the food. I guess it was a good thing for someone who does not eat salt. I would hate to eat meat without any salt on it.
Yes some people don't process salt well. Our body needs salt but to much can hurt you. I agree I can't eat meat without it being seasoned. But if you never tasted seasoned meat it wouldn't be that bad eating it plain. It depends on what food you grew up eating. Just like kids born in a vegetarian family, they aren't sad to not eat meat cause they don't know what they are missing.
There are dozens of ways to season food without salt. I will not eat unseasoned meat either.. but I still don't use salt. I prefer onion POWDER or garlic POWDER which does not have added salt. I'll also use Mrs. Dash seasonings which are salt free. If I buy a seasoning blend that has salt in it.. oh well.. I'm not THAT picky.. but I will not pick up a salt shaker and put it on my food ever! Especially with meat which already has too much salt in it! I usually have to soak meat before I cook it to remove some of the salt.. blah!
I understand where you are coming from with this as I do not use but maybe a pinch of pepper but not where you can see it and taste it instead of the food flavor. I do not use much salt at all, as I am Hispanic and we use herbs instead, which have sort of a salt flavor even though it is not salt.
Yes some seasoning will make it taste good. But not using anything but water and pepper won't do.
@cher913 (25890)
i actually do because i find i cannot taste a lot due to my nose being stuffy all the time. i only put a tiny bit of salt while my family likes pepper too but we make the meal slightly bland so we can add salt and pepper afterwards.
That is good for the family to get in less salt.
A pinch of salt every now and then, it depends what I'm cooking. I generally avoid using salt but it does bring out meat well, especially with spices. I don't use salt all that much within bakery products as this would affect my mum and the level in which she can take in daily.
I can see doing this as well for your moms health. I would so it here if my health was bad too.
@stealthy (8188)
I don't cook much but the only thing that I do add salt to is scrambled eggs. The only time I put in salt is if it is a recipe that calls for it. I use a lot of canned goods, vegetables and salmon and tuna, and most of those come with salt. I do add a little pepper, but not salt, if I am broiling a steak or cooking pork chops or chicken in the oven.
@saqi78 (1405)
For me any meal without salt is just hell, I like meal with salt, and it gives me taste, But it is also hell if there is more salt in your meal, salt should be in an appropriate amount, and I love my aunt when she prepare food for me, I love her way of cooking and taste of her meals.
@ladym33 (11008)
It depends. Sometimes I cook with salt sometimes I don't. Sometimes I will use other spices or I will use a seasoning that has salt in it such as Soul Seasoning, poultry seasoning, or seasoning salt. Usually when I cook meat I will use one of those. When I make soup I always use salt and pepper, but I use freshly ground pepper, and I use freshly ground sea salt instead of regular salt. It has more flavor and less sodium then regular salt.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
Too much salt is not good for you. I don't cook with salt either. I don't notice a difference if there is no salt in a dish. If someone else wants salt on their food they can put it on their food after I've served it. Almost all food comes with salt naturally in it.. and that is all you need, health wise. I think my husband uses too much salt.. he will put salt on everything. He is fine with me not cooking with salt.. he will just add some after. But I had to go buy him fake salt as I don't want him to have a heart attack or stroke from too much sodium. He says the fake salt tastes even saltier so he can use less. It works well for both of us.. he's healthy like I want him to be and his food tastes how he wants it to taste.
That seems strange. Why wouldn't someone cook with salt, even just a tiny bit? Maybe she or someone in her home has a health issue that does not allow them to have much salt in their diet as it could raise BP and such. That is one thing I've never cared for when I order fries with my meal @ a Greek family restaurant they don't salt them when they are hot you have to salt them & the salt doesn't stick so you end up dipping them in something.
@llbo1981 (1242)
In my opinion,cook without salt is not acceptable in some kind of food.Of course,there are some foods are made by sugar and other object.But the dishes which we eating every day should contain salt.We need salt every day,and it tastes very good when we eating.
@gdesjardin (1938)
I usually cook with salt substitute. My mother only used salt substitute when she cooked when we were growing up, so it just stuck with me. I do cook with black pepper as well. I try to vary the spices I cook with. I use onion salt sometimes as well. It depends who I am cook for. If I am cooking for the entire family, I cook things very bland as my two boys like things "boring".
@devijay78 (1575)
Hi giftsandbagscom. I never cook without salt. And nor do I know of any in my friends or relative circle who do. The only food which I eat without salt would be fruits. And sometimes my mom adds salt and pepper to cut fruits too! In India, we take everything spicy and hot and so anything without salt would not be worth eating(that is the general opinion). But some people with high blood pressure do cut down on the salt and take half salt in all their food. My dad has high blood pressure and we cook with less salt for him. But without salt-well, all hell would break loose if we accidentally forgot to add salt. And for my husband, all the spices, the taste, the smell and the presentation should be perfect. If either a little excess or a little low, I would recieve the same treatment from him as from my father.
@Jacobus1919 (1683)
Before, I liked to put salt on most of what I eat. But, now I minimize salt since I am trying to lose weight. And I mean a lot of weight actually.
@akari77 (123)
I do cook with salt. The amount varies on who will eat the cooked food. Same thing with black pepper, children don't like the taste of it so I remove it.
@rinfour (250)
I cook with salt only because my family likes their food with salt. I put as little as possible but still enough for you to taste it.
@writersedge (22579)
I love everything with black pepper since I can't have salt in anything either. Salt can keep water weight on and make people stay fat in excess amounts (and most Americans eat excess salt). I can't have it due to blood pressure. Can your daughter eat it? Can one of those cute Spanish guys? People can always add salt, but they can't take it out. So many people are hungry nowadays, it seems a shame to throw it out.
@carmelanirel (20979)
I cook with a little salt unless I am cooking for someone with health problems. I also use sea salt instead of the other kind. Though I have a question for you, why throw it away? Just add your own salt and enjoy..
• Bulgaria
I love salt.Yes I know it's bad for the vision,but I love this condiment.Everything 's so tasteless without salt,don't know why.
@mira91 (988)
Yes, i cook with salt. I am not a very good cook, i just cook what i can to the best of my ability. But cooking with no salt, that's like...bleargh!~ I know, maybe for health purposes, you would maybe want to avoid salt, but i think it's reasonable if you could just cut down on it instead of not putting any at all. The taste would be so bland, it's like torturing your taste buds. However, sometimes when i just feel like not tasting that salty taste in my mouth and just want to eat French Fries at McDonalds, i would just tell them to put mine as a special order with no salt. I think in my case, it's kind of normal, because fries still taste good without salt. ;)
Although people say that salt will lead to many health problems, such as the high blood pressure. However, salt is also one of the most important elements for our body. Besides, the food shall be tasteful with salt. Of course it shouldn't be salty. If I were you, I would add some salt to the good given by your neighbor. I don't like to waste the food. I know you don't like black pepper, but I don't mind it. It makes attractive smell for the food. I love China