Disposal of old stuff

Kabadiwala - Kabadiwala, scrape, garbage buyers
In our day today life, there are many things to dispose off, like pouches that contain milk, edible oils, biscuits; newspapers, magazines, cardboard boxes, used but no more repairable electrical gadgets, utensils, glass bottles, used CD/DVD discs. Some are disposed daily some every month and some once in a year. Our Diwali festival (Hindu festival celebrating the end of the monsoon; held in October/November, celebrations feature lights, lamps and sometimes fireworks) is on 5th November this year. As per tradition, we clean the house of dirt, dust, cobwebs; if funds permit we repaint the doors, windows, walls, both exterior and interior too. One can see on the streets, people who buy all such things, they are called, ‘Kabadiwala’. Today I sold many such accumulated stuff, it gave me around 3000 rupees, with this I could pay the labor charge of painting some doors and windows. [i][b]Do you do this at a particular time of the year, before some festival like Christmas, Diwali etc too? Please share and comment on this.[/b][/i]Professor
@tigeraunt (6331)
dear professor, i remember the older folks, they wouldnt allow us to sweep the floor at night before the New Year because they believe that we are sending the "graces of the Lord God" away from the home. their belief is money will not come in but instead the household will be hard up because they sent the money away by sweeping. and we are not supposed to make expenses during the day of the new year which is January 1. anything similar to this belief? ann
@tigeraunt (6331)
hi rich, it is usually a belief carried by the younger folk from the older folk. am sure its not from you.
hi professor when I w as growing up come along May when our state started warming up we had a total spring cleaning day as did most of the other farm and towns people in South Dakota. WE called it spring cleaning and everything got cleaned. rugs and curtains and draperies, stuff we did not need was thrown out or given to neighbors who did need it.We opened all the doors and windows. Washed the walls and the floors and just made everything all fresh and clean and pretty too. by then the spring flowers were starting to bloom and we would pick flowers and set vases around to make things prettier.We even painted rooms that looked shabby during the cold winter. I sort of liked that day and it was usually done on May day. Mayday you picked flowers made a pretty handmade basket, then took them to the doors of people who were aged or poor or ill, hung them on the doorknobs and ran like crazy as we were not supposed to let the person know who left the flowers, it was really fun for the children and taught them how to be kind and giving to others less fortunate.
We've been going at this for about a month now. Our house was a wreck and we've decided that it is time to get rid of all the things that we have in the house that we aren't using. That said, we've filled up out Herbie and our recycling bin several times and then there are also a lot of things that we have that we need to sell as well to make some extra money. We are going through a tough time financially right now so anything that we would be able to make would be a great help to us.
I don't really do this at particular times of the year, i just clear things out when i get the idea to do it or if something breaks. I do like to take rubbish out into the bin and tidy up certain parts of the house on certain days because i feel it helps to remember what needs to be done if its in some sort of routine.
@Strovek (870)
The best way to get rid of old stuff is to donate to charity or send for recycle. A lot of stuff we throw still have many years in them. I still don't understand why we need to buy new stuff to celebrate. Existing stuff are good enough.
You don't have to get rid of old things, recycle.
@twoey68 (13651)
We have a spring and fall cleanup where you can haul furniture and appliances to the curb and their picked up. We also have numerous thrift shops that you can donate old clothes, appliances, and so on to. They clean them up and resell them. I also do a fall and spring cleanup through our home to get rid of all the stuff we no longer use. [b]**AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~[/b]
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
Hi professor, I too do spring cleaning once a year, in fact I am planning to do it in a couple of days before Diwali. My garage is full of unwanted stuff that has got accumulated over a few years. I feel that if you have not used something for more than 3-4 years it is definitely not worth keeping it. So I too am going to make some money and am planning to give it to my maid since she will be the one who would be helping me out and doing most of the cleaning work ! Rs 3000 is a good amount, you must have had some old iron and fittings etc; all the best and enjoy the preparations for the festival
@2004cqui (2823)
No. We used to have spring cleaning. That was a hold over from the day people heated their home with wood, leaving behind wood ash and soot covered walls. Today we do have one great big pick up of stuff that costs money normally to dispose of. Just before pick up people will go around and see if there is anything they could use. Every city should have this opportunity. You have many festivals. They seem to celebrate the needs of people and many of them should be celebrated here! Ours are so commercialized. Every where I go right now is all about spending money for Christmas. Ridiculous.
@Buchi_bulla (8299)
You got Rs.3000/- from kabadiwala? I wonder what unwanted stuff you sold to kabadiwala to get that big amount. In my place, for big item also like dressing table, they pay only Rs.200 and for old coffee maker I got Rs.10/- and Rs.15/- for new emergency light, which stopped working after 15 days of use. Since I got it for reward points, I could not ask anyone about the condition of the light.
@Lakota12 (42684)
about he only thing we do is decorate for Christmas takes a month to get it all put up the lights and things In house we have to move furniture around so I can get our town put up and then the tree decorated