What do Art Majors live off of after they graduate?

Ceramic majors usually end up becoming teachers of some sort. I don't want to be a teacher what else is out there for me? I'm thinking of switching majors now but I'm trying to think ahead. Healthcare proffession or art? Damn, money is godly sometimes. I'm confused. I'm wondering because ceramics is not going anywhere if you don't have a market for them and if you sell your art but most ceramics are cheaper from walmart if your ideas are not unique. It is mass produced VS. individual talent. I think I have no future in Ceramics.
@CatGods (4595)
Where is your portfolio of your works? Do you have any of your works listed online? If so where. You need to think creatively. How many different ways can I get my wares in front of some ones eyes and in what ways, blogging, art galleries online and off, youtube for how to videos of some kind of cool short cuts unique techniques that you discovered, of a slide show of your wares. Tips and tricks for paining, what not to do, new mediums to use. What about the blending of ceramics and glass? The possibilities are endless. Do you absolutely love ceramics and the arts? For you is it totally cool and fun? If you answered "yes", then you should stay with ceramics. What about using your works for charity? Ebay has a section for that. It's gets your name out there and you make some money too and so does the charity of your choice. I'm reading a book called Fundraising on Ebay by Greg Holden. I borrowed a copy from the public library. What about corporations that buy art? My dear, you have homework to do.
@CatGods (4595)
oh yeah there is a site called www.fineartamerica.com they have free accounts and paid for accounts which will cost you 30.00 per year. The nice thing about the paid account is that there is a licensing agreement from places like tv shows that need art for their sets or some times they buy the art. Add that to your homework list.
Thanks a lot. Maybe I'll pursue this healthcare career then I'll just make ceramics as a hobby or maybe a part time job. By the way, my ceramic teacher is quite famous and lives off ceramics but I doubt that I can live like she did because times has changed. Her works are bought by museums, sold in auctions stuff like that. If I'm going to try and live off with ceramic arts then maybe I should get noticed in the art, maybe join some contests here and there.
If she is that good, then perhaps she can help you get some ideas about promoting yourself. Ask her to introduce you to gallery owners. Another way you can sell your art is to partner with a high-end retail store (think furniture, and realize that they have to have stuff to dress the furniture up) or with interior designers or home stagers. I see in Antiques Roadshow all the time that students of famous teachers of ceramics works do quite well in value. In addition, with an etsy shop, a blog, and various other means of Internet promotion, you should be able to do quite well. You need to have an entrepreneurial spirit and get out there and promote your work. If you go to enough people, some of them will start coming to you.
@max1950 (2313)
their parents
That is a big possibility.
I was an art major (illustration and graphic design). I got into the printing industry before I graduated and somehow I kept going with it for many years. I was a graphic and production artist. It's not what I intended to do with my degree, but I kind of fell into that field. Now I'm a stay at home mom - but when I go back, this time I want to utilize what I learned in the printing industry and get into marketing my own designs - get in tune with my fine art side. I have a friend who graduated not too long ago - she was as ceramic major. Currently she is a ceramics teacher for an elementary school - and she is actually loving it. But she also has a wonderful ceramic style she is trying to market on the side as well. Go to galleries and talk to people who know "ceramics". There may be roads in the ceramic field you hadn't come across yet. It is difficult to market your art - fine art sure is hard work when you're trying to make a living at it - but not impossible. Best of luck!
@NoWayRo (1062)
I was so going to answer "fast food jobs" when I saw your question :) Just my own experience. But I think your major is really interesting. I'm guessing you can make it work, if you have a genuine interest in it, and if you find a partner to do the marketing, sales and promotion parts for you. I still buy ceramic pieces from artisans, for example, not what you may call art, probably, but ashtrays, vases, decorative plates.
@cher913 (25890)
most art majors i think have to have another job to pay the bills. you could try selling your stuff on etsy.