elections!

@jb78000 (15178)
no, not those. the greek election is coming up this sunday and as you will know greece has not been having a good time lately. its deficit has continued going up and effectively this election will be a referendum on the highly unpopular but perhaps necessary austerity measures, although the current government has just promised one-off payments to pensioners. not of course as a bribe. so does anybody from greece have any comment? and all foreigners feel free to do what i am doing, and poke their noses in. it was quite difficult to find much on the greek elections in english but there is a bit here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/oct/24/greece-prime-minister-pre-election-pledge
@dawnald (84132)
• Shingle Springs, California
Sticks nose in, detects allergy to olive pollen, sticks nose back out...
@jb78000 (15178)
i don't think olive trees flower in november
@dawnald (84132)
• Shingle Springs, California
Then I should be fine as long as I don't eat (food allergies and they use olive oil in everything... well maybe not dessert...)...
@laglen (19783)
Greece like most of us have had to tighten their belts. But when you make society dependent upon the government for their livelihood, and said government has to make cuts, people are going to get mad. I think most countries are having to do this such as raise retirement age, lower government benefits, ration health care. Hopefully in the long run people will see why this had to happen, but getting through these times, only the future will tell. Wow I just wrote a whole paragraph and didnt say a dam thing! I think I am ready to be a politician!
@jb78000 (15178)
cuts should be made in order of necessity. starting with expensive and not necessary (e.g. trident, big tax cuts for big business) and ending with essential (housing, education, etc). our government is currently doing these the other way round.
@laglen (19783)
But it is a matter of whose priorities you are working with....
Im not from Greece although some of my family tease me by saying we have some Greek blood and I keep saying NO.......me have Italian blood mixed with some Canadian!! (but between you and me......they might be right but Im NOT wanting to face that!! I feel sorry for them. If people in government wouldnt be spending so much like money was growing on trees, it wouldnt come to that. But again, its the little people who will pay for the big people's mistake. We have a lot of Greeks here in Canada, they all ran away so they wouldnt be drafted. Most of them still have houses in Greece and go back for months at a time but none would go back to live there, even before this happened. Its sad when a government....any government has to cut down on services. It means the streets wont get fixed, the schools will not get any money, hospitals will become hell on earth and it'll be a total mess. Greece might not look so good anymore once they stop taking care of the country. I heard they had some pretty sharp cuts in the UK also....even Liz has to go on with 14% less!!!! Oh dear....no more tea at 4 I guess!! (Im joking but its not funny)
@jb78000 (15178)
why don't you want to be part greek? anyway, yes the government we didn't vote for has instigated some pretty brutal cuts, although not unnecessary things (like trident) at least one half of them said they would.