Would you have tossed out the persons mail?

I may be wrong for this but,I am going to be honest. it is something I should not have done but,the lord above knows it was an accident. I opened up what I thought was my cable bill. I read it and saw some charges that could not be right. So,I went to get the phone and called the number. As I was on hold and reading the bill better. I saw it was not my mail. I was like oh my goodness. The first thing came to my head was tear it up and toss it out. So I did that. being I would not want to take it to them and they accuse me of reading their mail on purpose. So,next time I will have to look real hard at the mail to be sure it is mine. Am I a bad girl?
@sid556 (31006)
Hi gifts, Well whats done is done so no use worrying about it now. If it happens again what you do is put it back in the envelope and put a note on the envelope, "Sent to wrong address". If it was addressed wrong then put an X on the address. If the mailman just dropped it at the wrong place, just drop it in a public mail box or in with your outgoing mail. It will either go back to the cable company or the post office will get it to the right person. The person won't know you opened it and they will get their bill. Hopefully they will remember to pay it even if they don't get the actual bill.
Yes I hope they do I pay all my bills before I even see the bill.
@jujunme (2381)
No, you're not a bad girl, you just jumped to the conclusion the person who's mail you opened would accuse you of reading their mail on purpose. If you had expalained what happened just the way you explained it here, i don't think this person would accuse you of anything wromg, since this does happen to people now and then.if you remember the name of the person who's cable bill it was you can call the cable company explaining what happened and ask them to send a new bill to the person who's mail you opened.
If I would have thought of it I could have just walked it to the post office. I will have to put my name on the front of my box.
This happens to us all the time. After a couple times opening mail we learnt to check our mail carefully each time. We had the same house number as someone else accept different street name. We would just tape up the mail and put it back in the mail box witha note saying wrong address. and unline the right one . We still make the mistake from time to time but not as often. Actually what needed to be done was to call the postoffice and ask that the postman be more careful.
Ok this one will work out next time thanks
Usually, I have also received letters that are supposed to deliver to other people. If there's an valid address, I would return it to the post office. But in most circumstances, it's from previous owners of my house who have moved out years ago so there is no way I can find out where they live now. Therefore, there is no point keeping the letters so I just throw them away.
I feel a tiny bit better about this. Thanks
@gabs8513 (48764)
Hi Gifts No you are not a bad Girl at all, I have done this before now and I am sure that many others have to Years ago People would have accepted that it was opened by accident today People are so nasty and accusing that to avoid a confrontation, this is what we do They will get another Bill sent to them so do not worry about what has happened I would have done the same
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
Oh Oh someone is not getting their cable bill this month. I would have taken it to the person and explained that it was in your mailbox and you took it for granted that it was your bill. I'm sure they would have understood and it would have been ok.
@Polly1 (12650)
Opps, your not a bad girl, you didn't do anything wrong on purpose. It was an accident. I am not sure what I would have done, probably the same thing you did. Hide the evidence, hehe.
Your so funny.. I felt so bad I just freaked out and it is now gone.
Well, this is actually a federal offense to do this, but that doesn't mean that I have never been guilty of doing it. We have owned our house for two and a half years now and we honestly get more mail for the people that used to live here than us. I will typically throw that mail away these days because of the fact that we've been here for so long now. However, there are times that I open the items too, especially when they are clearly collections letters.
I rarely get someone elses mail but usually its the same persons everytime. This is someone who lives in a neighboring town so I know who they are but there name nor address is not anything like mine and they never lived at this address. I dont understand why the post office mixes up our mail. Twice I put it back in the mail box and wrote as you can see this is not us the wrong mail was delivered to our home. The next time I took it to the post office and told them what happened. The next two times after that I called the people and told them what was going on with there mail and told them how many times before it had happened and they went to the post office very mad at the amount of times there mail was mixed up. If I get other peoples mail I wonder who winds up getting my mail. If I accidently ripped the envelope open before noticing it was not for me then I would just drop it off at the post office and let them deal with it that way the people dont have to know who it was that opened there mail.
I think you just reacted on impulse and not intentional and it happens to the best of us from time to time.