Babysitting situation

@o2bnocn (2895)
So my cousin needed a babysitter and I offered to babysit full time for her. I babysat a couple of times within that month. She paid me but she made comments about the money. She kept saying that she could not offered the amount of money to be paid for babysitting. I know that she could afford it. I know how much money she makes at her job. Plus she offered me the amount of money. What she was offering to pay me daily she made in one hour at her job. So I know she could afford it. If she really couldn't then why would she offer me that amount? Not only this but I had trouble getting my money the few times that I did babysit. She tried to not pay me once. Asked if she could pay me at a later date and I said yes but then almost didn't give me the agreed amount again. I had to text her about the money she owed me and finally she gave it to me. She said that she was going to do direct deposit to my bank account when I was full time babysitting. Which I was happy about because I didn't want issues with the money. Not only would that be aggravating, but it would be hard because she is family. More than one occasion she asked me to put the new carpets we got down. I don't have a problem doing that but she wanted to tell me what to do with my money. Plus we need to paint and do other things to our place before we place the new carpet. She also said the she would help us but she meant paying for babysitting. Her paying for babysitting is not her helping us put the carpet down. She simply told me to take the babysitting money and pay to get the carpet down. I understood she wanted new carpet put down for her baby to stay here everyday. I had a problem with the way she handled telling me. If she would have approached me a different way. Simply ask me to instead of telling me what to do with my money and when to do it. My cousin also wanted to act and say that she was paying a lot for babysitting even before I started to watch the baby at all. One night she text me at around 10:30 and tells me that I will have the baby in the morning at 5:45 in the morning. I get up that morning and she never shows up so I go back to sleep. I was mad because I got up so early in the morning for nothing. Then at around 9ish in the morning when I am folding clothes her sister bangs on the door and I open it. She walks in with the baby. More than one occasion she called or text me at almost last minute. For example, the night before or a couple hours before in the morning. I felt like this was not enough time. I wanted to know at least 2 days in advance when I would have the baby because it was not on a full time basis yet. I hadn't got the chance to tell her this yet, I was going to wait until the right time. Plus after thinking about it more then I realized I needed to know at the beginning of the week when I would have her because of my college. When my college classes start I only have a week and everything is always due on Sunday. Basically my college goes week by week. So in order to be organized and keep on track I would need to know by the beginning of the week. When I had the chance I was going to tell her. Then all of a sudden I didn't hear from her. She didn't need a babysitter for a while. I didn't have a problem with that. It was discussed that she needed me to babysit around the beginning of November or a few days before full time. So I texted her a day or two before November and asked her if I had the baby. All of a sudden she text me "I think you are but maybe only part time" I was pissed because she let me think for an entire month that I was going to babysit full time. At last minute she tells me that she only needs me part time. She knew that I needed money. So basically at last minute I am told that I don't have the babysitting job. I didn't even reply to her text because I was so mad. I don't understand why she would let me think for an entire month that I was going to babysit full time. Now it has been almost two weeks and I have not babysat for her at all. I feel like she used me for when she needed a babysitter. She told me that the babies father was going to watch the baby. She is not paying him. I would've understood if she told me that it was a maybe or if I was going to only babysit every now and then. No, she went into detail and said it was a definite. I have a college loan that needs to be paid for about two more months before I go back to college. Once my classes start again I don't have to pay on it. She knows this. I am not expecting her to pay this bill. Although she knew that I was counting on babysitting money to pay it for these two months. Now I have not heard from her at all. It is almost as if she is ignoring me or is pissed off at me. I even texted her the other day that I wanted to keep the baby for a day and night. I told her that a Wensday would be a good day but that I needed to get over my cold first. She didn't even respond to the text message at all. As much as she complains about not getting any alone time without the baby I thought she would be really happy and would text me and want me to. If anyone should be pissed it should be me. You don't let someone think for an entire month that they will be babysitting for an entire month and then last minute tell them they are not. What are your opinions?
I would not do it at all. I think it would be best to leave tese problems alone. For one she crossed the line telling you to pay for the carpet with your earned cash. That is for you to decide. if it were me I would rather be broke. Family and money can equal problems.
@o2bnocn (2895)
I agree with you. I think it is best that I don't babysit for her. As badly as I need money, I can deal without it. I would rather get online and make money online whenever I have the time. My only worry is that once I go back to college I won't have the time to do this. Although I would rather be broke than to deal with some of the things I would have had to babysitting for her. I do think she crossed the line when she told me to get new carpet with my money. I was going to be earning that money, so it should be my decision. I don't like how the situation ended though. I think she was in the wrong letting me think that I had a job and basically didn't. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to juggle babysitting full time and full time college although I was willing to give it a try. If I couldn't handle all of it I would have told her a month in advance to give her time to find another babysitter. I feel like I was left in the cold. Anyway, maybe it is a good thing that it was stopped before I had more problems than I could handle with her. She is my cousin and she is family. Thanks for your response.
Yes and you don't need to ruin what is left of your relationship. Take care..
@arkhan099 (110)
• Pakistan
that is soooooo unfair, she tells you one thing then another at the last minute of your hard work,continue not talking to her and look elsewhere for the money, maybe in your neighborhood someone may need a baby sitting job,family is always so hard to deal with, the only way i stand mine is by communicating the least i can,really sorry about your treatment hope you find a job !!!
@o2bnocn (2895)
Thank you. I am not talking to her at the moment as you said. If she called me I would probably return the call. Although I am mad about the situation and how she handled it. If she would have only told me earlier, then I wouldn't be so upset. I am going to look for other money making opportunities but I think for now mylot and other online cash websites will be fine. I plan on putting most of my focus on college where it needs to be.
@paula27661 (15899)
That’s not very fair! I can never understand why people promise to do things they have no intention of doing! Your cousin sounds a little selfish to me; expecting you to pay for the carpet yourself…It sounds as though she would like you to babysit but she doesn’t want to pay for it! I would let this one go and put it down to experience and don’t work for her anymore. The problem with business and family can end up with someone taken for granted...
@o2bnocn (2895)
I completely agree with you. I am not even going to babysit for her even if she offers it to me again. Only because the way I was treated and as you said family and business don't mix. I feel that it would be a better decision on my part to let the opportunity slide because I don't want to have to put up with negative comments, negative remarks, and nasty situations. Plus she is my cousin and I would rather us stay close than let something silly like this make us argue. I will just make money online and focus on school right now. I think I will be able to manage without the monthly income. I have until now!
It is so unfortunate that all you did was help. As babysitting is more than a job as you were taking great care of the baby. If she only understood that regular child care services perhaps were 3 times the amount she was going to pay you. What is unfortunate is that, although you need the money, she did not give you the courtesy. As why would she behave this way as it was not because you did anything. Family and business most always ends this way. However, think about if she pulls this on someone else they will not be so attentive as you were. So I am sorry that she did not consideration, and I do know what you are saying about the college loans as I have 140K digging down my back. I wish you the best with your schooling career and hope that she does remember how all you did was help.
@o2bnocn (2895)
Thank you! I appreciate it. I was looking forward to seeing the baby on a daily basis and I miss her now. I think that the best decision for me right now is to not babysit for her at all. I do not want anything else to come between our relationship or the family. Although I don't think what she did was right, I am willing to forgive and forget. I don't think we will ever talk about it though. Thank you about your understanding about the college loans. I was also trying to send any money extra I could to try and get it back down. I'm just happy and lucky that I can go back. I'm going to try and not worry about the loans until after school now. I do have two months until I go back and two months of paying a bill for them. I'm going to try my hardest to not take off any time from school so that I don't have to pay on them until I am completely finished. I also would like to go full time and get my schooling done sooner than I wished before. Thanks again.
@sid556 (31006)
Without hearing both sides of the story, it is really hard to judge this situation. I can tell you right off that her telling you to replace the carpets was out of line. If you weren't family then she probably would never have felt comfortable telling you that. As for her weird schedule, that is hard to judge. Not sure what she was offering you but babysitting is costly. It sounds as if not only is her job maybe unpredictable but the baby's dad as well. I think I'd avoid this one and mainly because it is famly and as you can see, it can easily all get blown out of proportion.
This cousin is: 1) Taking advantage of family. 2) This cousin is mismanaging her money and not setting her priorities properly. 3) You aren't the only one getting a raw deal. Children need stability and regular care givers.