Multicultural international.

@Lore2009 (7389)
A lot of my identity crisis came from my home since my family is from another country and I was born and raised in a multicultural environment. Even though I speak their language, I think in my own language so there are a lot of language barriers to begin with. But I am proud that I was raised with many different cultures too. How has being or not being multicultural affected your life?
@jalucia (1435)
Not being multicultural has meant a lack of understanding for me. It also has meant that as I grow and experience the world, a lot of mental barriers and prejudgements have been broken down. Some for the bad, some for the good. But, in the end it's all good because I have come to terms with the fact that people are who they are - for whatever reason. And, every person has to be valued for what they are worth - not what they aren't.
@Lore2009 (7389)
Those sound like good lessons learned. Thanks for sharing.
Just look at my avatar, and my screenname. That says it all. My mother was born in Denmark, and my father was born in Canada. Mom came to Canada in 1957 when she was 8 yeears old. I love both sides of my family, but the fact that I'm Canadian is just a fact. I was born here, I speak English, etc. To balance out my identity, I took my mother's last name, as my legal name. I also did not like the tradition of the father's name to the husband's name at marriage, so taking my mother's name "fed two birds with one crumb" if that makes sense. I got my Danish identity, and I got rid of a sexist old tradition in my life.
@Lore2009 (7389)
Interesting! Can you speak the language? So I'm guessing that's the Danish flag with the Canadian one.. how did you find that avatar? ARe there a lot Danish Canadians where in Canada?
Being not multicultural, it feels comfortable having to just focus on one culture everytime. I do think that living in a multicultural environment is also great cuz you learn more about different cultures and knowledge is definitely power.