Using two crayons two make a new color

My daughter, my son and I were eating at pizza hut last night. They have a little table set up with coloring books and crayons. We took a coloring book and one of each color of the crayons back to our table for the children to use while we waited for our food to be cooked. They only had four crayon colors red, blue, green, and yellow. My daughter was doing an activity page in the coloring book where each spot you had to color a certain color. She needed purple so she asked me what colors make purple then she colored with the red crayon and then colored over it with the blue crayon and made purple. She did the same thing when she needed to make orange. I thought that was a great idea she came up with. I wouldnt have thought to do that myself and shes 6 and I'm 27. Do your children have the patience to do this or do they just skip the spot to color if they dont have that specific crayon? If it was me I'd just have skipped that spot and not colored where it needed a specific color that I did not have.
@bounce58 (17524)
My 4-year old does the same. He's also fond of mixing colors. Not only with crayons, but also with paint. His interest in doing this came from Blue's Clues. There is an episode where they sing color combinations. So naturally my son also sing this song when he's combining colors.
Yes kids love to mix paint and make other colors. She loves to do that when I get out the paints. Her doing this to me just showed a creative way of getting the color she needed when she only had a few crayons and not the color she needed. I have never seen that blues clues episode but it sounds cute and I bet you love hearing your son sing it while he combines the colors.
My daughter and son each had a friend over yesterday. The two boys each painted one picture then went on to do something else. The girls sat for I'm guessing about an hour and painted pictures. It covered my whole dining room table as well as the top of a dresser the top of the stove and the washing machine and the counter lol. I was glad when they all dried to be able to put them in a pile and not have them laying everywhere.
@Kalyni2011 (3503)
My hubby Professor has already told about our grand daughter Subhee. Few days ago my son, Subhee's papa bought a box of water colors, it has 12 color cakes and 3 brushes, Subhee stared coloring using that, not only the books, even our bed shhet and my shirt which i kept on the table near her.. Thanks for sharing.. GOD BLESS YOU Kalyani
Thats neat that both you and your husband are both on mylot :) That is really funny that your grand daughter enjoyed painting so much that she colored everything around here on the table even your shirt lol. What a cute story to tell.
The youngest in my family now is Subhee my granddaughter, she will be 3 soon, she appears to be very intelligent to me, i gave her some crayons, she rubbed one lightly leaving gaps, in the gaps she rubbed another of differnt color to produce a mixed effect.. children mind is very flexible, adoptive, they can learn things very quickly.. Thanks for sharing Cheers. BE HAPPY ALWAYS. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. .
The earlier we start teaching them things the more they learn and are prepared for the world. Children are like sponges they can absorb so much information. I think your granddaughter sounds very intelligent as well for 2 years old to have figured that out.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi. shaggin. Your daughter is very intelligent and smart! My kids sometimes will experiment with many things. And they come out with something very unique too. They would not have thought about this at first, but now they will. I am glad that you posted this discussion, because now they can mix up colors if they are lacking a certain color. It was nice to know that your daughter found a way to be creative while waiting on your pizza to get ready.
Well thats really cool that my post will teach your kids a new way to do things if they dont have the specific color they need. I never would have thought of it honestly and its not like its such an ingenious thing its just I dont know lol in my 27 years I never have thought to do it haha.
Both of my children are very artistically inclined and because of that they know all about blending colors because when they have art supplies they are constantly trying out different combinations of colors. However, I would definitely say that my children do not fall into the norm because most other children that I know would just pick out a different color to use in a page that says to color different spots with a certain color.
Thats wonderful. My son doesnt seem to be to into arts but my daughter is. She is very talented I think to for her age. Her creativity is wonderful. Shes always been like that. I agree most kids would just use a differnet crayon or not do the page at all. I thought that was good that my daughter thought to do what she did with blending the colors because if it was me I never would have come up with it. I didnt have much patience as a kid.
@shia88 (4582)
Hi, What I can say is that your daughter is super creative and she has the patience to do the colouring. She is also willing to learn about colours,that is why she asked you how to create a purple colour. For kid, it is good for them to learn while they are young. I also encourage my son to learn more things when he is young,that is when their brain is functioning well and trying to memorize things.That is also time for them to get independent and start to think further for the rest of their life. As a parent, I have the patience and duty to educate and teach my son to be a betetr person in future.
When kids are little thats when there brains are developing and they are able to learn so much and it helps them for in the future. My daughter is very creative way more so then I am. I love watching the things she comes up with. I am pretty sure that she knew what colors make other colors but she wanted to ask me so she woudlnt mess it up.