Do you realize people may taste food and put the spoon back in the pot.

Even though you may say the germs are cooke away. Do you realize how nasty that is? This is why my mother raised us to be carefdul where we eat. I was also told to watch people really good in the kitchen as well. My mother washes her hand so often she never turns off the running water. Then she tastes the food and puts that fork or spoon in the sink. Even to cook for her own family she is a clean cook. I know some people won't care. But,I think a nasty cook should sty out of the kitchen.
@Diddaka (90)
It`s true.There are a lot of restaurants and homes that doing these things.It`s not wright and really sucks to look at it.But when some people are missing their first 7 years,what could you expect of them.I am a cheff too and have seen some of my people doing that.And tell them once not to do it,but when I have to say them twice it hasn`t any point.Just these people are not for this kind of work.Washing your hands ofthen also is very immportant.Beacause while working and you are very busy ,touch a lot of thing.Some of them are not so clean and after that you can`t just touch the food of customers.It`s education cuestion for me.
I am glad your not a dirty cook it makes the world a safer place to eat.
@whyaskq (7532)
I can accept that cooks use a spoon, scoop up some gravy and taste it and throwing away the remainder. However, it would be appalling to use back the same spoon or putting back the remainder into the pot. Probably that's why some advocate that it is better not to watch the cook at work. lol.
I'm watching a rerun ( at least I think so) of Top Chef. Apparently, most cooks really use their hands to cook/mix/prepare food. While using a separate spoon for tasting is really hygienic, something about using one's hands (assuming that they are well cleaned) seems very real and appealing to me.
@natnickeep (2340)
Yes I am kind of germphobic also. But less with my family. I know how clean we all are. I also think back to the caveman days and early days. People were far from clean and sanitary then. If we aren't subjected to a little germs here and there we can easily get sick when we are. Building up immunities is important also. But I agree restaurants are not clean enough at all these days. They are not enforcing the laws enough about public food places cleanliness. But between my family, just my husband and two girls, we will share the same spoon tasting something and drink off the same straw. They are my kids. I kiss him and do many other things that share our fluids, so what's the difference.
@saqi78 (1405)
Thats really nasty, if they taste food and put back the spoon in pot. I think it comes under unethical and bad manners if you taste a food and then put it back in the bowl. I personally dont like this type of behavior, if I see some one doing this, I ll never eat that food, it is really irritating for me. Normally in our home, if my mother/aunt need to taste food they ll use a separate spoon for tasting food and then they ll put that spoon in washing basin and ll not even reuse it except washing and it is good and healthy for your self and for the safety of your family. Have a nice day a head...:)
Would you believe I saw this on tv more than a few times. I thought they got to out of thier minds. They were tasting pasta sauce and put the woooden spoon right back in the pot. Nasty..
@saqi78 (1405)
ewww, this is really what they are showing to viewers, such a dirty show, who ll be following this type of recipe...
Wow, people do that?! I was taught to never ever put a spoon back in that I've tasted the food with. Even on some of the cooking shows I've seen as adult teach you not to do this so I'm surprised that there are people who go around doing this! It simply is not hygienic. Of course, I guess I shouldn't be surprised how nasty some people are with the number of people I watch come out of a public bathroom stall and not wash their hands! Namaste-Anora
True, a lot of people do not wash their hands after using the restroom. That is disgusting!
I see it all the time and I think it is one of the lowest things a person can do other than spitting on someone.
@Nadinest1 (2040)
Hi. To me and lots of others this is called 'double dipping'. If you taste something and put the spoon/fork back in the food-that is double dipping. I tend top watch germs....use antibacterial cleaners in the house and on my hands. I clean cutting boards real well. I have Purell in my car and as soon as I get in the car from the mall, I wash my hands with it. I a glad that your mother brought you up in a clean kitchen...this cleanliness, I know, has moved on to other things in your daily life.
Yes i do my best to raise my daughter with the same rules. Thanks
@rosegardens (3042)
Ewe, that is gross, but I know a lot of people do that. I was raised same as you. If I am cooking for others, or if there is a chance someone will be eating what I cook, I taste with a clean utensil and put it in the sink. Never, ever put it back into the food! Also I like my kitchen to be clean, down to mopping the floor before I will make anything that others will be eating. I know someone who put their dishes back into the cupboard after using them to make a pie crust without washing! I had visited my friend to make a surprise cake for a different friend who was staying with me at the time, so I could not make the cake for a surprise at my house. I had to borrow some measuring cups and spoons because I forgot to bring mine to her house. I was a tad disgusted upon discovering they were put into the cupboard and flatware drawer without being washed, so I did wash them before I used them, as well as after. I always wash my hands no matter what I am doing. If I play with the cats, I wash, if I touch a doorknob, I wash, if I come in from the outside, from driving my car, etc. Maybe that is why I do not get sick as much or as long as other people tend to.
I also think this is why I don't get sick for years at a time. I even have to was my key board after people use my darn computer.
@jaiho2009 (38996)
That's true,some people uses the same spoon while cooking and tasting the food that they're cooking. I do not do that,i always use separate spoon when i need to taste the food that i am cooking,and when i let my kids taste it,i also let them use separate spoons. Same thing with foods that are served,i always put a serving spoon,and my kids are trained to use serving spoons always. There were instances that a visitor,a friend or relatives comes to dine with us and uses his/her spoon when taking foods from the platter,and automatically (never meant to hurt) i told him/her to use the serving spoon. Maybe they're not used to using servings spoon,but,it's my family's health that concerns. It's just a matter of explanation,not to hurt their feelings. Anyway,i managed to say it in a very good manner,so my guest was never hurt,but appreciate for the new learning. Yes,because,they might be attending parties or joining other relatives or friends and so,they know what to do next (use serving spoon). It's not being meticulous or what..it's about health and hygiene. Have a good day
@chaoz674 (80)
yes, I hate those people who taste food and put the spoon back in the pot. They don't seem to realize that they let us taste and eat their own saliva. I was also raise by my mother to be mindful of the proper ethics in eating.
@sjlskl (3384)
You have not seen the whole thing. If you ever go into the kitchen and see how the cooks prepare you food in a restaurant, I don't think you will patronize it again.
This is why my mother taught us to eat at home. I am so glad my daughter does not rush out to eat in the street. I worked in a restarant where the waiter dropped a womans steak on the floor on purpose because she wanted something done to it. Then I went over to her table and begged her not to get me fired. But,I pleaded with her not to eat the food. She thanksed me and got up from the table and walked out.
@lumenmom (1995)
Wow, that was super courageous and honorable of you to take that chance so the woman would not eat that meat. I can only imagine some of the things people do to food when they think they can get away with it.
You will be surprised then to see Koreans eating without a serving spoon. I've stayed with Korean people for more than three years and when they eat, they never use a serving spoon for their soup at all. Every body just digs in and puts back their spoon in and out the soup bowl. I think it has something to do with their culture. I just didn't join them when they do that on the table and I didn't tell them it was grossing me out.
I think they do this at the china place in ny as well. I see them with a few pots of floating food and rice in their bowls. I would never dine with them either. Nasty..
I here you with this one as I am very schizophrenic when it comes to cleanliness in the kitchen. I have to wash the spoons before and after stirring each time. I use a great deal of water as well as my brain needs to know that all is clean before, during and after. Cannot imagine placing anything in my mouth that is not super clean.
I can relate to this as well. I can't tell you how this makes me easy to turn off. trey will be here for a few days he said he will be cooking. I will be right there watching too.
I think that I've even seen this happen on the television with the cooking shows and it is something that I don't think is a very clean habit to have at all. When I am cooking I will wash my hands everytime I touch my skin and if I am tasting what I am cooking I will either immediately throw the tasting utensil into the sink or I will wash it so that I will be able to use it the next time. I've never understood how someone can dip a spoon into a dish time and time again.
@gdesjardin (1938)
I can't stand when I see people double dipping either! Yuck! When I am at a mexican restaurant, for example, I always put a bit of salsa on my plate and dip the chips from there. I am very self conscience in the kitchen. I make sure I wash my hands all the time. I remember when the kids were little, I would make sure they were always washing their hands, because you know how kids always have runny noses and stuff like that. If the kids were even a bit sick, I wouldn't let them help me. Not so much that I was worried about getting sick, but I wanted them at a young age to be clean in the kitchen and have proper hygenine when eventually cooking for others. The cleanest my kids ever are is when they are helping me out in the kitchen.
Yep I knew this as well. I have seen people cooking and tasting things off the spoon and putting it back in and stirring as well as licking there fingers in between frosting cupcakes etc. It is so digusting. I hate eating things that others have cooked because I dont know how properly they were handled. I think its people who werent taught good hygeine habits that do things like this. Then any sicknesses they have the people who eat the food they have made can catch.
@SimpleBB (1332)
I agree with you. When it is about preparing food, even for the loved ones or other people, kitchen etiquette must be observed carefully. There must a specific spoon for tasting the food, even when it is served at the table, a serving spoon must provided. Not for hygiene purpose only but it is a table etiquette as well.
@ebuscat (5949)
For me it is better so that cholera virus would not hit in your family.
@Freezole (246)
That okay with me. I don't mind to share same spoon as long that person i knew.I rarely eat outside because i cook at home but if i have to eat outside i better not to know what happen in the kitchen cause it will me hard to swallow those foods.
@kodukodu84 (1576)
Ewh..that is really nasty, I have seen a lot of people doing that and I usually end up not eating the food because I never knew what went into that person's mouth before that. I really think it is very rude as well. I even saw some people doing that right in front of other people and still happily taking about stuff without realising or pretending not to know what she did. I don't mind doing it for myself but never with other people even to my own family. Have a nice day