Do You Get a bit Extra on the Side?

@cynthiann (18619)
Jamaica
I do. I get it when I can. I do bot have to tel you about the Global recession as most of us are suffering.So I did a gift basket st week and made US$25.00. Not a fortune but the next order I will make about US$35.00 I only have five orders so far as the season is so bad for tourism - the villas are empty or have very few bookings but I an hoping to get a few more orders. I get details of the people coming to a Villa and then personalise the baskets to suit the guests. I know that it is not much but every doar helps. So do you get a bit extra on the side?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
No, but I'm hoping to after the divorce. Oh wait, what was the topic?
@lilybug (21148)
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Nice one girls I WORDED IT ESPECIALLY FOR YOU
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
hee hee hee
@lilybug (21148)
I have made a few hundred this month off of my toffee in addition to the money I am making working 2 jobs. Next month should be a lot busier for me than this month has been. The money is really nice. If I had enough money for it I would come stay in one of the villas for awhile. I hope you get a few more orders soon.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
And I remember how wondeful your toffee tasted. I hope the business picks up so you could rent a Villa
@Rainegurl (2158)
I used to bake cakes and other pastries during Christmas season and sell them. Now I cannot do that because I am taking care of my newborn baby. I have even taken a leave of absence from my job thus I am not really earning these days. The only good thing is that I am not spending much either because I am just at home. No coffee shops, no dining out, no shopping. I think what you are doing is really nice
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. That is a full time job on its own.
@sid556 (31005)
Yes. I make incense burners. It's not much but it adds up and it helps us out. When school started, my daughter wanted her hair done. I had no extra money after paying the bills and also it was the same week as another daughter's birthday. I told her to see how I did over the weekend selling the burners. Well, luckily, I had a good weekend and got enough to get my daughter's hair done and the other daughter a gift. Other weeks it is just gas money but it all helps.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
The point is that it does help. I am saving to pay a few bills at my daughter's wedding next year. To ay for gas is really something. Be proud of yourself
Other than a few things like myLot and other things on the net I don't do anything to earn much money on the side. I would like to earn money with my crochet but I don't feel I'm good enough at it nor do people want to pay what it's worth because I am not a machine and something could take me days or months and they want it for the price of something made by machine in a factory shipped over on a slow slow boat.... My hubby does once in a while make a lil here and there fixing co-workers computers for them when a problem arises. Or doing extra things for his parents as they can't do as much as they used to. Sadly nothing significant to make a living.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Not to make a living - just a little extra to pay a small bill or something. You are doing great - no people are not willing to pay for the hours put in for a skilled hand made gift. Think of what else you could do or make that would not take so ong
@buenavida (8192)
• Sweden
For some years ago I knitted winter hats, a very useful thing in our climate They were rather popular, but I cannot do much knitting now, my shoulders hurt if I do. The typing I am doing now, is enough challenging, but I have published some articles in Triond and Bukisa and they might give income in the future. Just have to write some more articles. I have a small pension that is enough for the basic living, but nothing much extra, so I work with some projects online too. There are some on the website in my profile. One of them has been working well for 2½ years and I can use a part of my earnings for other programs. The rest goes back to the program to increase the earnings a little at a time. Welcome to send me a message if you wish to know more.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I was not good at knitting but my mother ans sister were. You have kept yourself busy and inventive to earn that little extra. Thanks for the invite
@jillhill (37383)
Yes...every chance I get. I make cards and sell them...do craft sales...and make a little on the side with my books. I also work full time but being single and responsible for all the bills you know how it is...good for you. You'll have to give us a photo of the gift baskets!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Jil - I admire you for being so incredibly talented. I do have photos on my BB but do not know to to upload the onto my computer. So last century. Will send to another mylotter and see if she can do it for me.
@cher913 (25890)
i have sold a few things to make a bit of extra cash for Christmas presents this year.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Great idea.What do you sell? Is it on EBay? I put mine in my US$ account - saving for my daughter's wedding. Gifts in my family for children only this year but we will have a good time together
@cyrus123 (6383)
Hi cynthiann! This sounds like a great idea! I bet you can make some pretty gift baskets, too! Do you mind telling us what all you put in your gift baskets? I've been trying to find something I can do on the side but unfortuneately, I haven't found anything. I'm sure I've told you this before but I get an SSI check once a month and my family is helping me. I'm going to have to have oral surgery after the first of the year, I hate to say, and I really need money to pay for that. It's going to be very expensive! I've been looking for something I can do on the computer in the way of data entry, blogging, etc. but as I'm sure you already know, it's hard to find anything that's legit.
@cyrus123 (6383)
I don't mean to be so negative but I have tried to sell things in the past but I never had much luck with sales. In fact, I sold Avon for six years but I didn't always do so well with it. I sold it from 1976 to 1983. That was when daddy was living and things were a lot different back then. I've also worked as a telemarketer and that wasn't such a great job, either, I hate to say. I feel like with the economy the way it is, I wouldn't have much luck with sales now for sure. People are spending their money more on things they need instead. I know that's the way it is with me these days. I've been thinking about having a yard sale for quite sometime and I might do that one of these days. I have a lot of things I need to get rid of and because of the way things are priced at yard sales, I might have some luck.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
You are not negative but being realistic. I get orders from a travel agent who sends gift baskets ti returning guests to a particular villa. So I ask if there are children etc or just get genera information eg is it a family group. For example if they are Jewish then I would give them a book on the history of the Jewish people in H.A. If there are children then they may receive small get local Teddy bears - that sort of thing. But the gifts are what we produce - different chutneys and sauces. Keep at it - do not give up despite the economy - pray to find a niche market.
@cyrus123 (6383)
I try to think positive but I realize you have to be realistic at the same time. It sounds like you put a lot of good things in these gift baskets. You never have to worry about me giving up. I keep on keeping on, lol. I pray all the time, too.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
Good morning Cynthi, I want tell u what my dirty mind first thought when i saw the title of your discussion, lol. It was no reflection on u just me. Good for u for making some extra money. U work so hard trying to do everything u can. I use to be the same way when i could work. I like u always had 2 jobs & would do everything else i could to make a living. It can be a tough old world.hOPE U GET A BUNCH OF ORDERS. HUGS.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I knew what you & Dawn would think It would be great to get more orders but tourism is so down it is scary. I always knew that you were a hard working lady
That's what I am thinking too but I make sure I read carefully the details..lol..! I really wanted to make a gifts basket but no one buys it because people usually count the items make sure they buy good bargains. example..if you sell a gift basket the content must be more than what they pay..so how I am going to earn form it?,,so I choose another project..like diaper cakes and cupcake..towel cakes..something like that..it works..too.!hiha!
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
I think the old saying for that 'is u have your mind in the gutter, lol.
The only extra that I've been able to earn on the side this year has been through the activities that I've been able to do online. I would love to be making more on the side, but this year really has been a wild ride for me. That said, if I had a calmer year I would be doing some crafts and selling them as well as doing some babysitting for extra cash as well. This hasn't happened, but they are some things that I am planning on for next year.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I wish you every success in your dreams and hope that you will get good results. Y9ou are a wonderful wife and mother and a good human being.
@gdesjardin (1938)
Good for you for being able to make some extra money. I of course am on here, and a few other sites which brings in a little bit of money. Other than that...that is all. I am hoping to start an online store his within the next few months and that will generate some good income (hopefully!).
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Now that sounds like a great idea.Best of luck.
@bounce58 (17524)
I have been racking my brains on what extra I could do on the side. I've already had the scare last year when a lot of people were laid off where I work at. I would like to do something on the side that I could parlay into full time work when I'm ready. I don't have any small things. My ideas are usually big, like starting a business. I have a few things simmering at the back of my brain, but I just need to make the first step to get it going.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Start something that does not involve much capital might be a good idea. I do hope that yo do identify a niche market. Best if luck
@paula27661 (15899)
That sounds like a great idea and you should do well over Christmas especially. I want to make a little extra for the family and I’m considering opening an EBay store. I don’t know how I will go but it may be worth a shot, you never know...It will mean investing a little for stock but I’ll never know if I don’t try...I need the money for bigger ventures I’m dreaming about...Wish me luck...Hope you make lots!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
If course I will wish you luck and pray for you too. The idea sounds great and I hope that you will make lots of extra cash
@cbjones (1157)
I'm always up for the occasional odd job here or there. If I come up with an idea that can create a little extra income, I like to write it down, and put it into a shoe box I've dubed "Cha-ching!" I've got a lot of stuff in there. Good thing is, some of the ideas are usable right now. Most of them require some extra knowledge that i don't really have right now though.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
That is a great idea! You appear to be we organised - very pro active. Best of luck And I wish you every success.