Dreams about the end of the world...

I've been having a whole lot of end-of-the-world dreams lately! It's kinda weird. They're not necessarily nightmares, but they usually involve some sort of apocalyptic vision like seeing the sun burst apart, the planets overtaking the horizon, the moon crashing into the earth, or a horde of zombies rising up and eating us all. Usually I'm able to escape the apocalypse through one super-powered or crazy incident or another. Have you ever dreamed about the end of the world? How did the world end in your dream? Did you escape? Personally, I don't believe that dreams have symbolic or subconscious meaning, and they don't tell the future... but what do you believe that your dreams mean?
@megamatt (14332)
No nothing in my dream world. However, when I read something in the news, I tend to think up of a lot of scenarios of how the world might end and it is rather grisly. Most likely the wrong person getting upset, that just happens to be near a trigger to launch a bunch of nuclear weapons. Then everyone fires their nuclear weapons and the earth is reduced to nothing eventually. That is rather terrifying but I would not be surprised to see something like that happening. Which is the most terrifying part and if I actually had a dream like that, I don't know if I would be going back to sleep that night.
I find a large number of them unsettling... but what's most unsetting is probably that they're all natural disasters like the sun exploding or the moon crashing into the earth. It's all stuff that humankind has little to no influence over. Honestly, threat of nuclear war scares me less than the idea that something totally out of our control can destroy the earth. Weird right?
same here. i had horrifying dreams such as earthquakes, tornadoes, sea water rising like in the movie deep impact! but i usually escaped because when they are about to happen like reaching me or my place, they immediately switched to something! it's really weird! i had dreams too that i was an exorcist! the weirdest! well i think they're just products of our stressful days. i believe dreams have significance in our lives and i think the significance of it is, how do we overcome problems along the way. if we try to see, it's reminding us about our saved strengths! after all, what matters most is this real world. we might escape in our dreams but the question still lies in what about reality?
Very philosophical thinking. I've never really thought about it that way. I like my dreams and I think they do play a pretty big role in my life, but I don't know whether or not they've helped me to overcome problems in reality. It's probably true though, I love my crazy out-there dreams.
@katie0 (5212)
• Japan
wow, could that be the future? how intersting did they stop??
I doubt it. I don't believe dreams tell the future. Plus the end of the world really isn't all that consistent. I don't know whether or not I should say they've stopped because they're pretty evenly spaced. I have one every few weeks.
@Xansus (950)
• Bulgaria
well i have from time to time these black abyss dreams that everything falls in darkness but i got them for years once or twice a year so i don't give them much attention .
Black abyss dreams. That sounds really creeping. Is it the exact same dream and do you think it's recurring or is it just a similar dream? I'd say my end of the world dreams are just similar... they're not at all the same.
@elmiko (6640)
dreams are linked to how my body feels. if i feel crappy then more then likely i will have crappy dreams. if i feel good then more then likely i will have good dreams. i also depends on hormones or any stimulants one might have taken. some people do have gifts when it comes to dreams. i'm definitely not that type but i have known someone who does. they can know whats going on in ones life just by dreaming even if you don't tell them how things are going. the gift runs in their family.
Interesting. And how does that work? I'm not sure if I believe that dreams can tell the future or have symbolic meaning, etc. I don't know about having crappy dreams when one feels crappy. I've had some pretty rotten dreams when I feel super great and some good dreams when I don't feel so great. Typically though, I just get a random mix of all different things.