planning for the week

@talker1 (148)
New Zealand
so do any of you out there have a nightly and weekly budget for your grocery bill or do you just go with it and see how you do. i do both and luckily for me most times it pans out in my favour. i get the basics and the usual things that we all like eating and then just go with the rest.
I have pretty much tried this both ways. I tend to do much better and stay within my budget when I plan it out nicely. I usually plan a certain amount for the "fun" things too. Or if I get everything on my list and it's not as much as I thought it would be then I can purchase a couple of extras and still stay in budget!
@puccagirl (7316)
• Israel
I try to plan for the week (planning for the whole month is just too long term for me, it never seems to work), and most of the time I stick to the plan, but not always. I should get better at this, really! Planning stuff like this really saves you so much money!
@ersmommy1 (12600)
We don't have an actual plan. As a family of four we do try and keep it under $100 dollars a week. We have a great grocery chain here, Aldi's. Their prices are helpful.
I buy groceries for just me. I do have a strict budget for groceries. That is $200 per month. If I'm going to Mom's and she needs $40 worth of stuff, that's counted in the $200. If my daughter asks me to stop and pick somethings up on the way to her house. That also comes out of the $200 budget. So if I run out of something after that, I do without until a new month begins or my grocery budget would be rediculous.