The greatest sermon I ever heard.

"I am not sure what the theme of my homily today ought to be. Do I want to speak of the miracle of our Lord’s divine transformation? Not really, no. I don’t want to talk about his divinity. I’d rather talk about his humanity. I mean, you know, how he lived his life here on earth. His kindness, his tolerance. Listen, here’s what I think. I think we can’t go around measuring our goodness by what we don’t do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude. I think we’ve got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include." Can you guess where I heard it?
@Latrivia (2889)
Been watching Chocolat, have you?
You got it! Do you know why I placed this in the politics section?
@Latrivia (2889)
Perhaps the context of the quote - including the reason behind why Pere Henri said it - parallels current political issues. For example, the stupidity of boycotting things deemed 'immoral' and shunning anything considered different. That's my best guess.
@spalladino (17926)
Ok, I cheated and looked at the other responses so now I know where you heard it. I'm going to have to watch it since I keep seeing references to it.
Some extra padding - Johnny Depp is in it. And looking his best.
@jb78000 (15178)
sesame street? sounds quite nice but not sure it means much. who said it?
It's from the movie "Chocolat". Have you seen it?
@jb78000 (15178)
yes but ages ago and i wasn't paying it much attention. ok. i was close. well no i wasn't but i tried. interesting what latrivia said about the context.
@gewcew23 (8011)
To be honest I cheated I scanned through the responses. Okay it is from Chocolate, unfortunately I haven't seen it. As an atheist I don't have much use for sermons or religious movies but if this movie has this in context with something else then I might be interested in this movie.
@Latrivia (2889)
It's a story about a woman and her daughter who come to a French village ruled by religious piety. She opens a chocolate shop, and through her good works, friendly nature, and good chocolate she makes friends, but still has to deal with the overly religious mayor who tries to set the town against her. Meanwhile, there's several sub-plots for some of the town's people involving their own struggle with their beliefs, and the changes in them that occurred after she came along. In the end, she ends up winning people over (including the mayor), because their lives have improved thanks to her. It's really a good story, and my summary doesn't do it justice. If you can find it, you should really watch it.
@sierras236 (2740)
Umm Completely wrong section. I think you really want the religious discussion thread. If you think politics is bad, wait till you post this in the religious thread. It really doesn't belong here even if it was said by the President. Politics and religion really don't mix due to the volatile nature of both.
Then you will have an appreciation for the movie I got it from. "Chocolat".