Ulterior Motives

@Janey1966 (24127)
Carlisle, England
Recently, I've been going on about the DVDs I've bought Mum for Christmas. Now, I DO have an ulterior motive for this. Well, I tend to spend a week with Mum and Dad over Christmas and, due to the fact that telly programmes are ALWAYS a let-down I thought..well, what's the harm in buying films I want to watch as well? Now, don't get me wrong. I've not picked films Mum doesn't like. I'm not that cruel. Also, (apart from one exception) she won't have seen the DVDs on television. It's just that she watches telly on her own and loves it when I'm around because we tend to like the same kind of stuff (apart from X-Factor, which I'll have to endure lol). Dad sits in the front room watching rubbish, to be frank. He always has done so I think it will be good for me and Mum to watch a jolly good film or 4. By the way, has anyone seen The Bucket List, Young Victoria and The Duchess? An Idiot Abroad is something we both saw on Sky but there are extra deleted scenes plus the book to keep Mum happy...also a drama called Stuart: A Life Backwards that I saw in 9 segments on YouTube! I know for a fact Mum will love this drama and it will be a nice change for me to see it all in one go. So, my friends, do you ever do the same as me? Order stuff for others (like games and things) and end up watching or playing them yourself?
@derek_a (10902)
I couldn't agree with your more about the Xmas rubbish they put on TV. I have noticed (just my opinion) that all the good series that are enjoyable to watch on TV start coming to an end during November and mediocre stuff starts coming to our screens. I have noticed especially this year because our DVD recorder it left to automatically record all episodes in a series and lately there's littlr or nothing on the recording list. At least we don't get time to watch TV a great deal of time, but will have plenty of recordings to watch once the holiday arrives. We also have a collection of DVD films that I've bought over the years, and not watched yet.. Without the ability to record I don't know what we'd do.. Probably get on our computer again! Oh yes.. I have been known to do that on Xmas day! We have also found a lot of jigsaw puzzles that belonged to my wife as a child. I forgot how enjoyable it was to do these too! _Derek
@derek_a (10902)
Oh I never watch the Strictly. Probably because I was constantly playing for dancing during my musical career and I saw some wonderful dancing from people just out enjoying themselves not looking for any recognition, and of coures there were some posers too. . Everybody I know thinks it weird that I don't watch any form of talent show as I was in the business, but these days everybody seems to sound the same._Derek
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Strictly is the only one I watch. I used to watch Pop Idol and really liked it, but since it's changed its name to X Factor it just isn't the same..and of course, the singers aren't either. I don't really blame you for not watching talent shows..I admire your will-power actually!
@hofferp (4739)
No, I can't think of anything I've bought that I'd get to "share". All my relatives except my Mom live quite aways from me, so that's a big consideration. And for my Mom, we've bought her a walker, a scooter, a camera, a television, clothes, etc. and I don't generally "share" those. I do watch her TV though when I'm visiting. I guess that kind of counts.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Yes, I watch Mum's telly too when I'm there and hers is a damn sight better than ours so it's a joy watching it. I get a rest from this computer too as I have no laptop. It does me good to get off here once in a while to re-charge my batteries lol.
@hofferp (4739)
I hear you...have a great day!
I have lots of DVDs , bought but not watched..yet. I will get round to them one day. we have sky plus on our tv and i record lots of stuff, films etc., Bucket list is one of them, Prime cut(very old film starring Lee Marvin), The Shadow, surfs up, and a really good comedy called Keeping Mum. Its a black comedy with Rowan Atkinson as a vicar, plus Maggie Smith and Kristin Scott Thomas. I have only been able to watch it once but loved it, so was pleased to see it on the other night. So I sky plussed it, and yes you have guessed it , still haven't got round to watching it. So Janey, dear friend, yes i buy DVDs also for friends etc., but never get round to watching them let alone the ones i buy myself!!
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Haha! Well, Mum has no excuse not to watch the DVDs I've bought because I'll be there to work her DVD player (sometimes she rings me up asking how to use it for the umpteenth time lol) BUT she absolutely loves Sky+, it's been a godsend for her as she loathed VCRs and Sky+ - as you know, is so easy to use. Whoever invented it is a genius!
@lacieice (2065)
I did see the Bucket List...and I enjoyed it very much. Makes you both laugh and cry at times. I've been trying to think if I have ever bought something because I wanted it, and I can't think of anything specific, although I do get a lot of satisfaction from getting someone something I know they will really enjoy as much as I would. I take a great deal of time when choosing just the right gift for people.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I really enjoyed the "About Schmidt" film with Jack Nicholson in it. I reckon he's one of the best actors on the planet..the same goes for Morgan Freeman so to have them both together in one film..well, you can't get much better than that can you my friend? Last year was a bit of damp squib as far as Christmas goes so I was determined to put some thought into it this time round and make it look as though I've spent loads of money. In fact, I will wrap up all the presents seperately so she's going to go "Awww" and "Aaaah" each time she opens something! It will be DVDs (mainly) and she's often said that she doesn't have many and would like more..so I've obliged!!