Are congressional ethics hearings a complete waste of time?

@Taskr36 (13923)
To me it's nothing more than a dog and pony show. They talk about "Draining the Swamp" point out a few morons in congress who violate various ethics rules like getting bailout money for companies they own stock in, or cheating on their taxes, or using congressional stationary to get campaign donations. All of these things are bad and typically, the people accused don't even deny what they did. They just claim it was an honest mistake. Charles Rangel was found guilty of a dozen such ethics violations. Again, he never even denied the accusations only saying that it was out of ignorance that he cheated on his taxes and committed violations despite being head of the committee that writes the tax code. What was the end result? He won a landslide reelection. The voters in his district don't care if he's a crook. What did congress do? NOTHING. They "censured" him. What is a censure? NOTHING. It's simply an acknowledgment that he's a crook, but will face no penalties. It's basically the same punishment that Joe Wilson got for shouting "You lie!" at Obama. Barney Frank received the same meaningless "punishment" for running a gay whorehouse out of his apartment. In the end, nobody really does anything. Even if congress did suspend or impeach people like that, it wouldn't matter. They'd get reelected 2 years later by their constituents. Ok, there's my rant. Opinions?
@djbtol (5498)
Is Congressional ethics an oxymoron? oxymoron = A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.
@Taskr36 (13923)
Yes, clearly "Congressional Ethics" would be an oxymoron.
@laglen (19780)
I agree that ethics hearings are a waste as long as there are no consequences. If I "accidentally" forgot to pay my taxes, I would be heavily fined and possibly jailed. I think Mr Rangel should have the same sanctions. If I funneled money from one program that I had some pull in, into a business that I had interests in, I would be charged, fined and possibly jailed. When will we (the boss) tell them they are NOT above the law.
@sierras236 (2740)
Well put it this way. If they are holding ethics hearings, they aren't passing stupid laws. But your right, it does seem to be a colossal waste of time.