Would you be shame to let people see you sleep on the floor?

My daughter's blow up bed popped so,we are waiting on a friend to give her a bed. She had company a minute ago and she had no problem letting him go to her bedroom. I told her I don't want people in her room while she is sleeping like that. I know she can't help it right now and if I could I would. But,golly I was shamed. You know I have a 1000 credit limit with a catalog company I ordered a futon type bed for her and they sent me a letter stating I have to send half now. I called them to ask why when I have well over enough in my account. The woman did not know either so i am waiting on a letter.
@carmelanirel (20979)
As I read the replies, it is amazing how "America" had become so spoiled. I never conform to what others think, only what I think and I am not ashamed to admit I occasionally sleep on the floor for my back. The softer a bed is, the worse my back feels, so when I lie on the floor, it like straightens my back out.
Carmel- When my oldest children were just a year and 2 years I was involved in a horrible car accident (that still haunts me as it ripped all of my ligaments from my neck), and then I had another accident (mind you both were not my fault-the first was a woman who ran a stop sign and plowed into us causing us to almost flip; the second was a young teen driver going way too fast who didn't see I was slowing down for traffic on the highway so she hit me at 60mph) that landed me in a neck brace for 4 months and a back brace for a year. I too now sleep on the floor now and then (though I invested two years ago in a sleep number) just so my spine can go into supine position and I can get some relief. You have my empathy. Namaste-Anora
Oh I'm sorry Anora, I can only imagine the pain you go through. I believe my back problem are for a couple minor reasons. One is my lower back arches in naturally, so I have to make my lower back go the other way to avoid strain. Next is I am a belly sleeper, and I know, it is horrible for the back and face, (gives one wrinkles when sleeping like this..lol), but I can't sleep any other way, I have tried. Now my husband, he has back injuries from his job and now parts of his back had fused together, so he is in constant pain. Except for some reason, he can't sleep on anything hard, like a floor and doesn't understand how I can..(I think I can because when I sleep on my belly, the floor forces my lower back to straighten instead of arching in..
I read a wonderful quote the other day, that said "Shame is the fear of men, conscience is the fear of God." I do not believe in shame, because I do not believe I should "fear" what other people think of me. And if you're ashamed of her on the floor, why aren't you ashamed of her sleeping on an air matress? My family members wouldn't dream of sleeping on an air matress unless we are camping, or sleeping outside, but that's just our personal preference, not that we're ashamed or anything, but some people would be ashamed of only giving their child a blow up bed, instead of a "real" matress. But you have no need to be ashamed. Is she warm? You said yourself, she's getting a new bed soon. That's great! So in the meantime, to heck with other people. She was the right attitude, not caring what others think of her.
e let some people come stay with us and they had no place to sleep. So,I ordered a blow up bed for them to sleep on. My daughter and I were moving and her bed was in bad shape so we left it and moved with the blow up bed which was in great shape. But,it popped so it is now garbage. Yes,she is getting a bed when ever it can be delivered.
@sid556 (31006)
Hi Gifts, No..I would not be ashamed. Things happen. When I first left my ex, he refused to give me the kids beds so we all had air mattresses to start. There were times that one or the other of us had to sleep on the floor because those air mattresses just don't always last long. If I were in your situation, I would probably let my daughter use my room while she had her friend over and I would sleep on the couch or the floor. Hopefully your friend will come through with a bed really soon. good luck.
I would not be ashamed of sleeping on the floor or seeing others lying on the floor. I feel its a good habit nothing wrong in it. Everyone cannot afford to have beds and not everyone can sleep on the beds due to some or the other reason. So there is no point of shame in sleeping on the floor. No point in shame.
@webzap (885)
Hospitality at work. You can always find this attitude in most households that when a visitor came for the night, we have to spare our bed for the comfort of our guest. It's no shame to lay down on the floor and sleep right there for the night, and it is beneficial, health-wise, since you will be exercising your spine to align properly with the help of the flat surface at your back.
Yeah, it's kind of embarrassing to let someone see me like that. I used to sleep on the floor, well.. on a very thin padding. That's when I was first moved here in the capital during my first years studying here. It was tolerable for me and I got used to be seen like that I think mainly because there are plenty of us doing that there. But now that I have my own bed, it's pretty stupid that people will see me lying on the floor and not on my bed.
I'm not ashamed of anything I say or do and I am certainly not ashamed of the way I live. Years ago I had a Japanese futon (not that the type they sell here in the states but an authentic one). I was never ashamed of it, only felt bad that it didn't make it in the multiple moves. It was one of the best beds I had. Now, in terms of your daughter having no bed it is her room. If she is not ashamed of who she is and where she is at I would leave it at that. We as adults at times can develop complexes over the silliest things. I have gotten to a point in my life where I've realized how wasted my energy was in the past when I worried about what other people thought of me. In part of my life where I was deeply influenced by the "religion" of my ex husband I can tell you I spent a great many nights worrying about what all the rich people at the church thought of me. And yes some of them gave their thoughts about my simple household. I realize now that they certainly were not following the teachings of that faith and today I do not give thought to what others might think. My home is exactly as it should be for our means right now at this point in time. Namaste-Anora
@voldrox (7205)
I would not be ashamed of that. Plus you have a reason why your daughter is sleeping on the floor, it's just temporary. I don't mind if i have people visiting my bedroom to see that i sleep on the floor. In fact i love to sleep on the floor, it sleep deep when i sleep on the floor, i don't know why. Their is only one small problem. Insects, i would just put a thin plywood on the floor and put a bed sheet over it and sleep. I can sleep without mattress haha. It kinda feels strange in the start, but if you sleep facing upwards then it's good for your back. It helps keep your spinal cord in a good shape. Most of my friends who have back issues sleep without mattresses.
I can't do it and I am getting tired of seeing her without one. I will have to not pay bills one month just to get her a bed and catch up some how..
@voldrox (7205)
I don't think much about myself, but maybe i would, for my son or daughter in the future.
Aww I'm sorry that you have to be embarrassed about how your daughter has to sleep. You just do what you can afford. My daughter doesnt sleep in her room and she just has a matress on her floor because her toddler bed broke. Since she almost never sleeps in there I dont want to spend $800 on a matress and box spring set if shes not going to use it right now. I can use that money on other things until the time comes where she gets out of my bed for good lol.
Shaggin- Our toddlers always inevitably end up in our room as well so we just picked up toddler sets from Toys R Us after they left their cribs. It was a cheap buy at $80 dollars for the set and as you said if they aren't sleeping in their room why make the investment? Mine will be in those beds at least until they are five so I have several years before I even have to begin thinking though I've done some searching and came across some Nordic style beds that with a mattress and cool Star Wars bedding would only runs us $250 per child so not bad, but again I'm not going to shell out that money until they are sleeping in there every night and not crawling in with us. And because they are too little for such a large bed. Namaste-Anora
We actually have a frame for a twin bed but to buy a matress and box spring set is expensive so since my daughter doesnt even sleep in her room I wont bother to buy her it yet. The toddler bed we had we got for free from my father in law but the weight limit is 40 lbs and she weighs over 50 and it broke. I put it out on the curb and someone came right along and got it. I told them it was broke but they wanted it anyway.
@asliah (11149)
for me, i dont feel ashamed when i am sleeping in on the floor. actually i dont have bed and i actually sleep on the floor. and i think its nice to me to sleep on the floor while sleeping on the bed. but i dont know the others wanted where they feel comfortable to sleep.
I will be getting my daughter a bed soon if the promised bed is not delivered soon. I don't like her living like this at all.
@Nadinest1 (2040)
I would have no problem with it....just explain that we are in between beds right now....we are getting one next week. It's as simple as that.
next week we will not have one next month at this rate. he mattresses are so darn expensive to buy. I have a organazation that has me on the waiting list. I also was told by my daughters boyfriend about a new bed his uncle has.
Right now, Paul's mattress is on the floor in his room because he has outgrown the toddler bed, but we are having a difficult time finding a twin sized mattress for his big boy bed. We've got the crib mattress laying on the floor and I actually don't see any kind of shame in that fact. However, if I was sleeping on the bare floor, I think that I would have a hard time for someone to learn that was what I was doing in my own home.
• Portugal
im sorry that your daughter has to sleep on the floor^^ but dont feel ashamed of that isnt her fault. maybe you shouldnt trust that company. why would they ask half of the money first? maybe they are lying to you. you should maybe try to go to a store that sell beds and choose one with your daughter^^ that way you spend more time with her and is better if she can choose her new bed^^ and that way you are sure isnt a liar company^^
@sender621 (14956)
I wouldn't feel any shame for having to sleep on the floor. We have to make do with what we have. As long as we are honest in our endeavours, we shouldn't feel shame at how we may live.
@Xansus (950)
• Bulgaria
I often lay on the floor with my pillow and blanked i just like it its like when i go out in the nature and lay on the grass :P (or my imagination is just too big for me to handle :P ) I don't mind sleeping on the floor (if there are no mouses LOL :P ) Floor is good , floor is nice , floor is the best if there are no mice :P
I can understand your feelings about other seeing the way we live. But you know what do not worry too much. You are doing your best and the best is all that can be expected, as anyone dare make a funny comment of any sort has no business being in your home. As you take care of you and your daughter without them. So soon you will resolve the issue and your daughter will have her bed.