Can you help me with my pot roast?

I will wait a few till i get some help. I never made this before I bought it to cook for thanks giving but made the chicken and turkey instead. I just washed it and I will season it and put it in my crockpot. I have some can gravy and would like to know when I should put this in after it is done or while it is cooking. I have fresh time and also want to know when to put this in. One person told me at the end the other said while it tis cooking. I have onions I think I should put in while it is cooking. I just love them cooked really well. anything else I don't know would be great thanks. Oh how long should it cook to be done? It is not big about 3 pounds..
Something like that will cook up in I'd say about 5 hrs on high unless you cut it into smaller chunks. Otherwise it'll probably take alteast the 8hrs if you put it in low. To make mine I usually start it in the morning on low w/ a pkg of onion soup dumped over it, an onion sliced up and carrots. As the day goes on I add the potatoes as the last few hours of cooking as they don't take as long to cook. This site has lots of ideas and suggestions for you http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,3_lb_roast_beef,FF.html But as far as the canned gravy goes I'd wait til it's done and maybe mix the juices from the crock pot w/ the canned gravy provided you want actual gravy with it. If you are going to use it as seasoning I'd just dump it in.
Thanks for the link. I did not need the gravey at all. it came out nice. I have to say myself and my daughter enjoyed it too.
I'm glad it came out well. You know it's soo much cheaper to cook via crock pot than to bake it in an oven & to me the crock is easier to clean out as well. Now if roasts were on sale cheep hmmm.... I'd be having a roast every week! & thanks for the best response!
@carolscash (9500)
If you actually want the gravy to be gravy, then I would not add it till like the last hour. I also would put the onions in now. I usually add potatoes and carrots to ours. I cooked ours on low today for 8 hours. I love roast cooked in the crockpot.
No need for the gravey it was fine without it. Thanks for the help. it is done and was very good for dinner.
@Trensue (5258)
I toss everything in at the same time, onions, gravy, potatoes, carrots and garlic. The length of time depends on the crock pot - on high mine is about 3 hours.
Mine is all done and It is very tasty. I love this crock pot cooking so much. I just wish it would heat the house a little. But it is cheaper than gas.
I've never done my roast with gravy, so I really can't help you with that part at all. However, as far as all of the vegetables that I cook with it (I typically do carrots, potato and onion) as well as the seasonings that I would like to use I put in all at the beginning. If you are going to cook the roast all day, then you can do it for about eight hours on low heat (it ends up very tender this way) and if you want it done quicker you can do it on high heat for about 2.5 to 3 hours.
@gdesjardin (1938)
My crock pot and I are best friends! I use my crock pot at least 4 times a week...sometimes more than that. I have learned to make all kinds of things with the crock pot, thanks to the internet. I make appetizers in the crock pot as well as dessert. I have 2 crock pots and I was just telling the hubby I would love a third...a big oval one this time. I cook a lot of roasts in my crock pot. I don't use gravy, but I put two cans of chicken broth in and it makes the meat very tender.
@sid556 (31003)
Hi gifts, When I cook a pot roast in the crock pot I always add the gravy at the start. I also add the onions and any seasonings. I start it out on high for about an hour or so and then turn it to low and just let it go till it is done. Another way that is amazing is to put it in one of those cooking bags. Add the onions, seasoning and gravy and pop it in the oven for about an hour. It heats up the house and is quicker than the crock and just as good. I pretty much use the crock pot and cooking bags for most of my meats except for steaks and hams. Both will make even a cheap cut of meat taste awesome.