Internet habits in the past and now

@Porcospino (19646)
Denmark
I started using the internet in 1997 and in the beginning I only used it to find information. After a while I got my first email, but I hardly ever used it. The next thing I discovered was the chatrooms and for a while I chatted very often. In 2005 I became member of an online forum for the first time, and I started spending the time on that instead of chatrooms. In 2008 I got involved in online money making sites for the first time, and now I use the internet in a lot of different ways. I still do the things that I did in the beginning, but I also do a lot of other things. Have your internet habits changed since you started using the internet? Which kind of sites did you use in the beginning and which kind of sites do you use now? Have you lost interest in the sites that you were interested in when you started using the internet?
@SilverKing (1023)
Well I did not start to use the interent untill around 5 years ago.I started to use it when i was 19.I never had the interent when i was growing up and only used it maybee once or twice until i was 18 years old.My family did not really believe in it i guess but now i use it daily and check my email almost daily.I really have become addicted i guess as i was not using most of my life and only now am able to use it freely.I really like the stuff that you can do on the net and think that it is a wonderful thing if used in moderation which i sometimes forget about and overindulge.I am cutting back though and speding time oudoors and reading and hanging around with my buddies more than i used to.
@Porcospino (19646)
• Denmark
That is an important point. There are a lot of positive things about the internet, but addiction is a danger that we have to keep in mind. I understand what you mean. I don't know if I have been really addicted, but I was a time where I used to spend many, many hours online. My situation was a bit similar to yours. My parents had a computer with internet access, but my father, my brother and I had to share it and I could never use the internet more than a short period. When I got my own internet I was suddenly able to use it as much as wanted and that freedom made want to stay online for many, many. hours, I felt that had a lot of catching up to do now that I didn't get interrupted all the time...
@Elixiress (3893)
I started using the internet in about 2000 maybe a little earlier and I used dial up, so I could only spend a few minutes online checking things for school work and my Dad only let me go online after 6pm because it was cheaper. Now, I pay for my own internet which is broadband and I have unlimited use and use it to chat for people, go on social networking websites, do research, shopping, watching programs and making money. I can't even remember the websites that I used to go on when I first started using the internet. So yes I have lost interest.
@Porcospino (19646)
• Denmark
When I started using the internet I still lived at home and your dad sounds like mine. We had dial-up at that time and it was quite expensive. I had to share the computer and the internet with my brother and my father, and we didn't always agree My mother didn't use the internet, but she got angry if we blocked the phoneline so that she couldn't make a phonecall. Like you I pay for my own internet today, I pay a fixed amount each month and I am able to use the internet as much as I want.
@puccagirl (7316)
• Israel
Oh, my habits have changed so much I cannot even remember all the ways! But I would say they have definitely changed for the better, so I am still happy! The biggest change was probably when I realized that I could use the internet to make money though. Nothing beats that!
@Porcospino (19646)
• Denmark
The money making sites were probably the biggest change for me as well, and today I tend to spend more time or those sites and less time on the other sites. It is a great feeling to be able to earn money while I am doing something that I enjoy like writing. I enjoyed the time that I spent on the internet in the past, and I had fun chatting, playing games and other things, but today I feel that I am spending the time in a more productive way.
@adhyz82 (36262)
i think i get the same experience like you i began to know internet only email and mirc since 1999 in 2005 i began to know friendster in 2007 i know facebook and in 2009 i know ho to make money by online..
@Porcospino (19646)
• Denmark
That sounds a lot like my own story. I can see can that you also started with emails, moved on to social networking sites and then money making sites. Ever since I discovered the money making sites I have been spending less time on the other sites, but I still like to visit many different kinds of sites.
@AKRao24 (21618)
When internet started initially it was just used to provide information to the user. there used to be many sites providing information to the viewers. The internet was used as a Notice board to display many things which are normally displayed on notice board like Results, Roll Numbers etc. Here there was no interaction between the user and service provider. With the introduction of Web 2.0, there had been a revolutionary change in the internet. There onwards the interaction between two individuals or between the site admin and the user has begun. Which has got progressed gradually and today several members are participating on a single site at the same time. This interactive phase of the internet has given it an absolutely brand new face with many new sites, meant for interaction. Chatting, Video Chatting, Social Networking, earning Sites, You Tube, Commercial sites etc are some of the interactive sites on the internet. So with the evolution of the internet, I too got involved and evolved to keep myself updated and I changed my habits and ways of participating in it. No doubt now a days I use internet more for interaction than just for the purpose of referring for some information. This grand and revolutionary change in the Information and Technology has really changed our life style and our perception of life! Nice Topic of discussion dear friend, enjoyed participating in it! Thanks !
@Porcospino (19646)
• Denmark
Thanks for your detailed response. Yes, a lot of things are different today because of the internet, and the fast and easy interaction with people from other parts of the world is one of the things that I really like about the internet. I still remember when I discoved chatting and online forums, it was like a whole new world and I loved talking to people that way and hearing about the thoughts and ideas of people from other cultures than my own...
I also started to use the internet from 1997. At that time the internet charge was quite expensive. And we could use dial-up to connect the internet only. Due to it, I got used to do a few things at the same time. Such as I would be chatting, downloading, surfing the net and writing emails. And once I finished it, I would disconnect the internet so that the bill wouldn't be so expensive. Now the internet charge is less expensive and we use ADSL to connect the internet. So everything is much more convenient than before. And I won't be so nervous to get online like before. I won't feel guilty if I just surf the net for a long time. I love China
@Porcospino (19646)
• Denmark
I also had dial-up in the beginning, and I always had to think about the time that spent online so that the bill would get too expensive. Now I pay a fixed amount each month and I can use the internet as much as I want. That is so nice and I have much more freedom that way, because I can surf without thinking about the bill. I would find it very difficult to go back to dial-up now...
@gunagohan (3415)
I started using Internet when i was doing my 10th grade, for doing an assignment during the year 2004.. Later i used to go to internet cafe once in a month for the next consecutive years. Then after completing my school, i went to internet cafe for 1 month completely for searching for seats for college... Then during college i joined many social networking sites and enjoyed it. The level of Internet usage climbed in the past two years when i connected for a Broadband in my home..
@bwaybaby (904)
When I started using the internet (in 97 or 98), it was essentially only for visiting websites and downloading files related to the game Petz. I started playing Neopets not long after, either (I was 9 or 10). When I got to middle school I'd use it for Neopets and for message boards- for Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and general fantasy stuff. High school was a slightly more mature version of that, I guess. Now I'm on it quite a bit- for research, or reading interesting stories or keeping up with things I'm interested in.
@nophie (2338)
i think most of all began to know internet from email activity and social network and chat is the next activity..