What are your views about homeless?

Does your city have a large number of homeless? Do you donate or help homeless organizations? What are your overall views about homeless people? In general, I am only twenty, with no job, full time student living off my parents still and obviously an earned dollar is hard to get but I do try to help the homeless. I try to donate to organizations and I do give money once in a while only to the ones that seem like the extra bucks could help. I don't give money to those who stand at the end of street lights that are big built, look like they can go find a job but the older, weaker people who need money. How about you? In California, there are a lot of homeless people.
@mustread (225)
• Bulgaria
They don't need our money or help , they need to have the chance of getting a job . I think they are ashamed when somebody gives them money , but hunger is one thing that stops them from giving your money back. If they had a job they would be more pleased with their lives and they could afford better lifestyle . Homeless people need the support of government , and it could help them by finding jobs for everyone and from there on they will be on their own .
Thanks for both responses. I agree, they want a chance to get a job but there are some who don't look as if they try to look for a job though. It depends on the situation and area but most wants another shot at life & a job. There should be more government help!
• Vietnam
In my country - your homeland, there're lots of homeless child, homeless people. They sleep outside, on the road, under the bridge. Near my apartment, there is a charitable restaurant. Which is only for poor people and poor students. I work for that restaurant, I often wash up, and serve, or prepare the meal. And I see many homeless people.
Vietnam is my homeland but I have never been there before, I hope to visit sometime. I want to learn more about my nationality/culture. My parents tell me stories all the time about Vietnam and how it is sad to see many homeless adults, child and babies and they are begging for money, food. My parents always donate money, give money when they visit. That is nice that you work at the restaurant to help them. :)
I believe no matter how rich the country is homeless people exist. I remember when I volunteered in feeding program for the homeless in Manila and given the opportunity to talk with them I found out that some of them already had a house of their own and some even where provided by the goverment. According to them they just love to be outside the house be with the people they like to be with. They felt like a prisoner inside a walled house and they only go to their abode to shower and change clothes. It is just another view of of the homeless people.
Thanks for sharing and I agree, no matter where we live, there will always be homeless people. They are people just like us with feelings just they aren't as fortunate because of the path they picked, debt they came across or whatever the case is. It sucks seeing homeless people though because I'm a person who wants to help but it's hard to help if I'm struggling as a full time student and paying daily bills & what not.
@piya84 (2591)
Hello kitty Well here in India there are many many beggars in every city.Thats a sad state of poor people here.Sometime there are children who have run away from home because of some family problem.There are some old people who has been abandon by their kids,relatives.There is no one to look after them.I sometime give money to these people if they are kids or old people but not to young people who look they can do some work and earn something.
Hello piya84! I have never been to India, but I am sure there are lots of homeless people everywhere. I agree, I give money sometimes to elderly people (no kids in the US asks for money.. I've never seen that) but those who seem like they can find work (younger people) I don't give money!
@sender621 (14956)
There are so many homeless people in the world when there doesn't need to be. If we all pulled together and did what we could for the homeless then there would be as many homeless people suffering in the world today. Together we can make a difference!
the government should be taken serious for this issue..
@sandymay16 (1619)
There are lots of homeless people here in my city and these people are making makeshift houses made of sacks, salvaged tarpaulin, light wood and car tires and anything they can get to build a home. Then there are those sleeping under and or on the benches in the parks. There are housing programs here and even Habitat for Humanity is here but if you're homeless and don't have a job then you can avail and can't afford the housing program even for the indigents. No I don't give money to the homeless but I once volunteered my time in building the homes for the homeless through the programs. I have a job and so very much over aged to live in my parents' house but I still live in my parents house because I can' afford a house on my own. I even sleep in a little corner of my office because I can't afford rent. I go home during days off to my parents' house.
There are a lot of homeless people here as well. I am sorry to hear that you sometimes have to sleep in the corner of your office. It is hard to give money when we ourselves don't have much to spare for ourselves. It is nice that you gave to the community by volunteering though :)
@julyteen (13259)
• Davao, Philippines
I think this people are lazy specially if they are living in the big city. I am poor also but I didn't let my financial incapacity to make me still poor or poorer until I die. We don't have home before and that is the challenge I take on my mind to work hard so that I can make my own house. We live in the mountain and from their I experience a very hard life with my parents. I study hard and tried to find scholarship grant for the poor and I was lucky I passed and now I am not very poor anymore I can eat 3 times a day and I extend my help to all my siblings. Very poor is not excuse to improve your lifestyle.
Homelessness is a huge problem in so many areas. I have been homeless of sorts, but never had to sleep on the streets, I got close to it a time or two but never knew sometimes. I hope when I get through this tough time I can work some shelters. I did work a shelter for the displaced from hurricane Katrina.
@hati3kuro (278)
Heyo same here! In Moscow we've got lots of homeless people going around from one Metro Station to the other.. they don't bother people and most often the hobos that you'd see are old men and women... kids beg too, but those are Gypsies and their parents told them to do so I guess.. How nice of you to give donations to the organizations! I never did that, nowhere other than to the organizations in countries that really need help in financial support such as Palestine, Indonesia etc... like u said, those big built guy are just plain lazy while they have so many things to do other than begging money from the passersby.. As for those aunts and babushkas who are in dire need of money, I always pass them not because I don't want to give anything but most of the time I'm in a hurry to get to my destination quick, or else I'll be late. Thanks to this post, I'll try to give some alms whenever I walk pass one of them. Have a nice day Infatuatedby!! ^^
@kingparker (9698)
At downtown here, you might see a bunch of those people who always asking for change, and they are not willing to find a job themselves. At some place, some people simply ask for money, and make up for any excuse they can come up with. What a shame for them.
In India also we find so many people homeless. Category is of children, aged people and so on. Thanks for few companies who have been sponsoring for the social cause of these society and trying to uplift them with their support. I have not donated but would like to do so.
In a town where I go shopping every week I always come across 2 homeless men, and I usually pick them up something to eat and a hot drink, as I think if I was homeless and someone gave me something to eat and a hot drink I would be very grateful. The worst thing is that I see these 2 men every time, but when there is a big event in town, say like a sports game or a concert, there seems to be about 20 homeless people, I do not believe that they are all homeless, I see these 2 men all the time so I believe they are but when all these other people appear it makes me very suspicious, because the next week I will go down there and it will just be the 2 men. So I think they may just be thinking that because the town is busy they may be able to get some money if they pretend they are homeless. I hope I am wrong because I think its bad if someone is pretending to be homeless, there are so many real homeless people who need help, its wrong to pretend you are. I do feel sorry for someone who is homeless, its hard to get yourself on your feet, in this country you can get benefits but you need to have an address to get these benefits, the same with applying for jobs, most employers wont take you if you havent got an address, and there is not a lot of jobs right now either, its hard to find one when you have an address. So I can imagine it must be very difficult to get help if you dont have a place to live. And I always tell these men to be careful in the nights, as it is a busy town and there are a lot of nightclubs there, so there are usually a lot of drunken people and a lot of fighting, it must be very frightening in the nights for them. Also in our papers there has recently been news about a lot of ex-soliders being homeless, some have had nervous breakdowns after leaving the army and lost their homes, and then ended up on the streets. I think its really wrong that they have gone to these dangerous places, fought for us, risked their lives, and now they are living on the streets.
@lingli_78 (12844)
i have the same attitude towards homeless people like you... i only give to the needy... children, old and disabled people who i think are not capable to earn money by themselves... but i won't give to those young and able-bodied people... i think they are just plain lazy because they should be able to earn money by themselves with their body... i won't give these people money... take care and have a nice day...
@thanks1961 (7046)
Hi dears, Being an Indian, I even say that we here have a millions of homeless people here managing their life with no future in front. The social life is so imbalanced and there are highly placed many around and vice versa. It is not an individual job to make all the poorer to provide homes. The government here are the authority to look into it. But I think in any country, the ruling party or the prevailing government to adequately for it. I need to appreciate that many government hands are working to provided homeless people by providing the basic requirements in various states in our country. But it is less than adequate with the beefing demand. Majority of the wealth is heaped up with large scale millionaires and they become wealthier and wealthier day by day. The government mechanism is not at all adequate and supportive to eliminate such imbalance and that is why this disparity has so much of gap in between. A common man cannot do anything in this regard. Also, the government is collecting a huge amount of taxes which goes to various developmental activities. It is true in the normal scene. But the corruption and scams are playing very well among these places and it is hiding by many ‘experts’ by not even leaking the real thing to media or public. So as long as the prevailing mechanism is running here, the homeless people ratio will goes on increasing and the population is dangerously so high in our country. Now you can imagine how difficult to eradicate an issue like this, in a country like ours. Regards, Thank-s