Toothache Remedy

@erikmama (12935)
For the past several nights I have not been able to sleep due to a severe toothache. I have a pretty hole in my wisdom tooth, and I sware I would rather be shot than to be in this pain. Needless to say, Motrin, Tylenal, and Orajel are doing nothing.I am in need of something...the pain is unbearable. If you know of ANY home remedy or medication that I can buy to ease the pain, please share.
@sid556 (31031)
There is a remedy that you can buy without a prescription but you do have to ask for it at the pharmacy. It is "oil of Clove". It's only a few bucks and very potent. It does say that it is not for oral use. It's ok and won't hurt you as long as you don't drink the bottle. You take a q-tip and swab it on the tooth and the gum. A dentist or doctor would discourage using it. That's because it deadens the nerves and ends the pain. Many people would think that their problem is solved as a result and not bother going in to the dentist and have it taken care of. My ex had a major toothache and I got him some of this and it worked like magic but I still pushed him to go to the dentist. The infection was still very much there. Try it until you can get to the dentist but please do go to the dentist and get it taken care of. ok? Hope you can get a good nights sleep.
@erikmama (12935)
So the pharmacist will give this to me without any questions asked? Why is it behind the pharmacy counter? Is it safe to use since it is not for human consumption? At this point it really doesnt matter especially when the pain hits.I think I would put darn near anything in my mouth if someone said it would stop the pian,even if it made me bark like a dog the next day! I will go to the dentist as soon as I am able to do so.THanks so much for the advice!
@sid556 (31031)
Yes, the pharmasist will give it to you with no questions asked. I think it is behind the counter because back in my mother's day this was a well known treatment. many people would take it and lose the pain and then not go to the dentist because truthfully the pain is the motivator. My mom was one of those people. She relied heavily on this stuff and her teeth were horrible. It's not safe to drink but Orajel probably isn't safe to eat either. You just swab it on your tooth. Even mouthwash is not safe for human consumption. I hope you go right out and get some...it will help the pain and you won't regret it . This will make it so you can function for your kids until you can get to a dentist.
@erikmama (12935)
Well, three pharmacies later, I finally found it!! $3.25 a bottle.Not bad!! I was even able to provide some information to others as to what it was being used for,so I was able to share in my new found knowledge. One pharmacist knew exactly why I needed it, and wrote a note so I didnt have to ask gof ir at the next place! She said that colve oil is actually the EXACT same thing that dentists use when they are working on people. That is so cool. I hope that I will not need it, but if I do, it is in my purse!! Orajel is nasty and doesnt help. Anything that tastes as bad cant be fgood for you, but in the moment of pain, thats the least of my concerns! Thanks so much for the info!!
@cycle6060 (118)
You can try these for some relief. If you have cloves at home you can bite between the infected teeth for an hour or else apply clove oil or nutmeg oil in a cotton and plaace on the affected teeth.
@erikmama (12935)
Someone else suggested that I try cloves, so I think that I will try this. So far it is not giving me any trouble tonight, but I will have my cloves nearby if it does. It sounds pretty gross, but in a time of pain such as that. I will take it anyday!!
@sid556 (31031)
I had a toothache years ago and bought a bottle of the clove oil for around 2.00. It worked so quick that I carried a bottle around with me in my purse for the longest time just in case I was ever in such a spot again. about 10 yrs ago my ex had a terrible toothache and I got him some clove oil and he felt relief almost immediately and to the point where he felt he did not have to go to the dentist. I pushed him to though. At that point it was closer to 5.00 ...maybe 3.99 and worth every penny. Go with the oil. It's quicker and while the taste isn't that great...it's much more tolerable than the pain. it numbs your mouth.
@erikmama (12935)
Definatley going to try and find some of this clove oil stuff and have it on hand.To be honest I wouldnt care if it was $35.99 especially in the moment of pain,as long as I can find something to either stop the pain or ease it up, it would be worth it. I do not think there is any pain like that of a toothache.
@thanks1961 (7049)
Hi dear, Now you may be aware that the pain is not so easy to stop with normal medicines. If you really have intolerable pain, you need to visit a dental doctor and get an injection for an immediate relief. Also recommended that you can remove the damaged teeth for ever. Otherwise, some times if you eat ice cream or some other cold items suddenly you will attract tooth pain. Keep mouth full of hot water may give some relief. For an immediate relief, as everyone stated, clove oil is good to apply and if available, eucalyptus oil also good for apply on the damaged place. Again, if available, you can look for a DXN toothpaste, which is highly recommended for all problems related to the teeth. Thank-s
I've got a couple of bad teeth and my husband has suffered from some pretty bad toothaches as well in the past. One time when Tom was suffering from a particularly bad one, a friend of mine told him to let an aspirin dissolve on the tooth and it will make it quit hurting. I will admit that it does taste pretty bad, but it really is something that works and something that I've recommended to people since then.
@erikmama (12935)
Asprin to dissol e on the toothe? Yes, that has got to begross.I hate the taste of any type of crushed pill, but hey, in the moment of need, pain relief is all that matters. I have gotten some really great answers here, and I went out and got some clove oil which was what many suggested that I do. So I will keep all of these in mind if the tooth ever gives me trouible again. Thanks so much!
• Barbados
recently i was in tremendous toothache pain as well, i found that clove oil on a tiny piece of cotton wool, applied to the cavity helps. It will burn but it did help me. Also chewing on raw onion. Chewing on onion will help to get rid of the harmful bacteria that causes cavity pain. Usually the tooth hurts at night, if it is hurting both night and day , then you have an infection and would need anti-biotics along with pain killers. I use Cataflam and it works.
@erikmama (12935)
A lot of people have suggested that I use clove or clove oil. I never even thought about something like this working, but if the pain returns then I do plan to try this. I am not sure i can chew on anything when it starts hurting, much less an onion, but when it is hurting like that, I am willing to try pretty much anything. It only starts hurting at night.Its like my tooth ahs an evil plan to forgo my sleep.I havet slept in almost a week...Until I took a very long and much needed nap earleier. Thanks so much for the help.I hope you do not expereince tooth pain again either.
The best home remedy is a type of spicy called as lavang which is found in India. I had severe toothache a few years back and had applied the oil which we get in church. Touch wood from that time till now I dont have pain. I dont eat sugar or any other sweets. I tried avoiding them till now. Hope it does not return. The spice which I suggested will be only a timely remedial. The advise would be to take out the tooth to stop spreading to other teeth.
@erikmama (12935)
Can I find this lavang in the U.S.? I hope your tootache doesn't return either!! There is nothing worse in the world than a toothache,espedially when it is severe. I am open to just about anything right now,but,knock on wood, I a m pain free for the time being.
@jer2911 (59)
Going to your dentist is still the best remedy I believe. Because they're the right people who can really target the problem of your tooth and surely can give you the answer that you need. But hopefully you can find something that can ease the pain.
@erikmama (12935)
I will go to the dentist as soon as i am able to go. When the pain hits I need something to stop it. It is the worst thing I have ever felt in my life, and foe some strange reason the pain only comes at night. I ended up taking a nap for about 5 hours earlier,but before that It has been over a week since i have slept due to the toothe. And that doesn't make it any better!!
@sukumar794 (5048)
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
Clove oil. in fact is a powerful remedy to alleviate toothache.
@erikmama (12935)
Thanks! Many responses have suggested the clove oil, so I think that i will get some of this and keep o hand.
I have to agree that nothing is more unbreakable than having a tooth ache. Cold compresses help temporarily but it is very important to visit a dentist as you know it can damage further any other teeth and or gum. I know someone who used hard rum and rubbed some with their finger inside of it to numb it but again only temporary reliever.
@erikmama (12935)
Cold air makes it hurt worse, so will a cold compress relive it or cause it to hurt even worse? I am open to anything at this point, because yes, it hurts more than words can say. I do plan to go to the dentist as soo n as I am able, but even at a clinic for low income it is still expensive when you are broke like I am. I'd love some rum,some tequila-just about anything to tell you the truth! Thanks so much for the suggestions !
• Marion, Kansas
Do you have some peroxide on hand? Rinse your mouth with peroxide once or twice a day. When I have had some pain and could not get to the dentist I did this, and it really did help. I talked with the dentist about this at a later time and he said it is a good thing to do anyway. If there is something down in that hole that needs to come out, the peroxide will foam it out.
@sid556 (31031)
I've heard that too.
@erikmama (12935)
I think now that you mentioned it I have heard the peroxide thing,too.I will also try this.Today my tooth(the one that has been hurting)popped...It hurt like crap,but I havent felt any pain since...And my whole mouth has been a little sensitive for the past few days not just the one tooth.So hopefully whatever this popping was took care of the tooth for a few days anyway.Does the peroxide stop the pain when it is hurting,or should this be done BEFORe or after the pain?
• Marion, Kansas
Sounds like you had an abcess. That can make you sick all over. I just did the peroxide morning and evening, I think. Just like I would brush teeth. I started that about two years ago, because I was travelling and knew that one of my teeth was having a problem.It is like swishing with foamy water. Now you can also do a hot salt water rinse a few times a day. My folks never took us to the dentist, no money. I let two different teeth abcess, because I did not want them to worry.
@aeiou78 (3458)
I were the same as you earlier. The best solution to me was to consult the dentist. The pain killer pills from the dentist were just for temporary to stop the pain only. Only after the pain, then you will be treated. The treatment can be filling in or pulling out your decayed tooth. This is the only solution to stop you from suffering the pain forever. Anyhow, it can be other reason too and the only professional dentist can examine in order to find out the problem. Never listen to non-professional advise, please.
@erikmama (12935)
Yes, a dentist is the only one who is going to correct the problem,but until then,there has to be something to ease the pain. It is intolerable,seriously.I would love some hard core pain pills to stop it until I can get to the dentist.
@magtibaygom (4869)
When it seems that all things doesn't work, that's the time for you to try something more potent, try injecting yourself some anesthetic!
@erikmama (12935)
Not sure I could inject myself with anything. I am worse than a 5 year old kid when it comes to needles...Jut the thought of them cringes my face.But ya know, in the time of need,I might be willing to do it! LOL!
Well I know of two possible solutions. One way you could do it, follow the ancient wisdom, is knock yourself out with a base ball bat or pull a Cast Away and knock the tooth out with an ice skate. Okay I will be seriously now XD If your typical pain relievers and orajel aren't doing the trick, like they should, then you probably have a serious problem that needs to be checked out by a professional. Sorry to sound like your mom, but that's probably the only way you are going to be able to cure the pain. Just letting you know, I know how bad this pain is and I am sorry I cant offer you some more helpful advice than go to the dentist. Sorry, hope you get better!
@erikmama (12935)
Ya know, when the pain is hitting me, I would rather someone hit me and knock me out! I even asked my friend to punch me as hard as she could,but unfortuantley she wouldn't...Maybe next time I will just go run into a open door or something....Can't be as bad as the toothache! LOL! Yes, it is a serious problem, and I have no dental insurance. For some reason my state insurance doesnt think people's teeth are important enough to offer coverage for. I plan to go to a low income income clinic to get it fixed or pulled, but until then, I gotta find relief from it! I have been told that if I go to the ER they aren't going to even give me a pain pill,so I do not want to waste my time if they won't. My insurance company also doesn't consider a toothache an emergency,so I will be out a pretty hefty bill.But when my tooth is hurting like it has been, that is the least of my concerns at the moment!