Ever been asked if you're pregnant? And you weren't?

What are your views about people who question if you're pregnant? And you really aren't? Today, I was with my boyfriend and just because I wore a dress that has a bow tie in the back, the lady was like oh you're pregnant, congratulations. My boyfriend and I was like uh, what? Have you ever been questioned or commented that you're pregnant? I think that is absolutely rude and I would never say that to anyone unless I knew the person and made sure they were pregnant in the first place to actually say that kind of comment! Any stories to share? Every time I wear a baby doll, or tie in the back bow dress/top, I'm always questioned! But, if I don't- I'm not questioned. I think I should refrain from wearing those type of clothings! They're just cute & more relaxed.
@laniekins (4585)
Been through that, I gained weight because I am taking a chinese red vitamins and they thought I am pregnant. I had problems with my stomach and I constantly go to comfort room and people thought I am pregnant cause that's one of the sign. I've prove them wrong! It's not annoying at all but if my mother heard that I will definitely angry.
Thanks for sharing! Sorry to hear that you've gained weight but glad you proved everyone wrong :)
@laniekins (4585)
Thanks! I just ride it.
@daDaize (215)
• Austria
Happened to me a lot..just because im not so thin as most girls are...sometimes someone comes and says "congratz on being pregnant" and I usually just tell them "wow, if I'm pregnant...then I have been 8 years straight" (meaning carrying d baby inside me 4 8 years)
Thanks for sharing & wow, I should say that too lol. But not the 8 years part though..
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Awww, I do sympathise with you as it happened to me a few years ago. A friend of mine donated a top that was way too big for her and, like you, I thought I looked cute in it as it was a baggy smock top that was ideal for the office as it wasn't restricting. Anyway, I worked in a large open-plan office so it had a combination of administration workers plus the people in charge of them. A lady that was quite high up (but not my boss) placed her hand on my shoulder and said, "Congratulations!" To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement! If I remember rightly I did tell her that I wasn't pregnant but I don't think she heard me and just went about her business elsewhere. I've never forgotten it though as I was a lot slimmer then than I am now!! Damn cheek!
Wow, thanks for sharing! People assume so easily -__- I would make sure before commenting people.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I'm sure she meant well but, once she saw the stern look on my face, she made her excuses and walked away. I think she knew at that point that I wasn't pregnant after all!
@lumenmom (1996)
My story is a little bit different. I did not get pregnant until I was older and the way I carried the baby I never looked pregnant. I did not have any problems with people except when I went to the clinic. Because I had a high risk pregnancy I had to be seen every week and the clinic I went to always had different staff on duty so they did not get to know me. Each week I would get some type of comment that indicated they did not think of me as the typical OB patient. One time I said I was there to get my blood pressure checked and the nurse on duty said, adult medicine is downstairs....this is the OB clinic". Another one asked me if I knew where I was and where I needed to be. Sometimes they would call my name and when I would get up to walk toward them they would look past me to see if anyone else was coming. I always hated going just because of that. Maybe I should have worn the type of top you are talking about!
Wow, yeah perhaps you should have worn a top like a maternity look so people can get an idea :) Thanks for sharing!!
@sender621 (14956)
People can be fooled with the clothing we sometimes wear. There are things that can make us look pregnant when we are not. i think when people assume we are pregnant and we aren't, they can be just as embarrassed by it as we are. I have had this experience on both sides before. Embarrassing can be a small word for this.
Yes, I agree people can be fooled with clothing we sometimes wear however I think it is common curiosity to not ask / question strangers if they are pregnant or not. I would never approach someone unless I was 110% sure they were pregnant like 8 months and about to pop! I've never asked anyone before infact unless I knew them.
I have not experienced any similar situation probably because i wear plain tee and skinny jeans most of the time. I think it would be kind of annoying to hear something like considering the fact that she didn't even bother to confirm it before she comments. Still, just let it go, sometimes people just doesn't know when to shut up. There's a high probability its the dress since your wearing something that looks like a maternity dress. Nevertheless, at least you have a boyfriend whom you can hook your arm to when some random friend comments like that. It is something to celebrate. :)
Yeah, I did let it go however that is pretty rude for a random person to comment. I wouldn't ask anyone in the street.. unless I was like 100% sure where her tummy is like about to pop!
Well people know that I'm trying to get myself pregnant and nowadays i'm slowly gaining weight and they keep on asking that question. However, since I'm married I don't mind that at all and I don't take it negatively. But if I were single like you, I would feel offended if people would ask such a question in public place too.
Thanks for sharing and I hope everything works out for you. I wouldn't find it negatively at all if I was married/engaged but since I am single, I was offended and especially how it was in a public place!
@Metatronik (5911)
• Pasay, Philippines
Yes there are dresses that you will be look like a pregnant. I actually did that to one of my classmates when we met in high school reunion. I don't know how it was called but then she is also wearing something that I thought she was pregnant to the extent that I asked her. But then I noticed that she was not offended by the fact that she has a kid and I think she is already married. I remember last year that my boyfriend and I have eaten lots of food in some restaurants that made us so much full. Then the next day it happens that my shirt was a little but tight to me then one of my officemates asked me if I am pregnant, then of course I said nope I just gained weight. But then of course it was intimidating on my part that I gained weight at that time since I have eaten a lot. Then the accountant staff asked me on that same day if I am pregnant I just said No! I just gained weight and have eaten so much yesterday . Of course I also find it rude when they are asking you that you are pregnant whereas it is easy to determine if a woman is pregnant or the stomach is just a fatty figure, it has different shape.
Wow, you encountered many incidents of being asked. I see it rude -__- at least be sure before asking.
@ebuscat (5949)
For me yes never to wear the dressed like for pregnant women I will encounter also that question.
Yes, but I have some loose fitting clothes because it's the style... I don't want to be perceived as pregnant though.
@saizo6 (2211)
That actually happened to me once. I was at work and helping a customer when she asked me how far along I was. My initial reaction was "Huh?" Then I had this gobsmacked look on my face and I told her that I was not pregnant. She was embarrassed by her mistake and I was embarrassed by the situation. She kept on apologizing and I kept on laughing and telling her it was no big deal. I realized that it was an honest mistake on her part since the shirt I was wearing did make me look like I was pregnant. That incident made me a bit more choosy about the shirts I wear.
I feel the same way!! Lol thanks for sharing, nice knowing I'm not the only one :)
LOL yes one time this did happen to me. I was skinny as a rail. I weighed 102 lbs and a friend I hadent seen in awhile came up to me and asked me if I was pregnant. I was like ummmm NO why do I look pregnant and she said yes. I was like oh my god whatever I do not. I am guessing she heard a rumor or something that I was because looking at me my stomach was flat as ever there was no way anyone could think from looking at me that I was pregnant.
Wow, 102 lbs and pregnant. Wow, that is crazy! Flat stomach and she'd still ask you. I'd think that's inconsiderate at least be like I heard rumors about you being pregnant and not just go are you pregnant.
No wonder he asked you, it is because of the look, i have a male professor friend with a huge belly, we the senior persons of his age usually ask him , just kidding, 'hey professor, are you pregnant?'; he takes things lightly and smiles back.. Thank you so much for sharing. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. . Cheers have a lucky day ahead. God bless you. Welcome always.
A female lady asked me not a male. That is pretty funny but it's obvious he's not pregnant though!!
@maximax8 (27954)
When I traveled to Cape Town in 2009 I was 18 weeks pregnant. Someone told me I needed to loose weight. I told him I was pregnant. Funnily enough I am about the same size now and I am not pregnant. I am glad that nobody has asked if I am pregnant. For the last year I have looked 16 weeks pregnant and I am happy that people don't notice. Dresses with a bow at the back are like maternity clothing. I have kept a few items out of my maternity clothes. I would find out if the lady in question is pregnant before mentioning her apparent pregnancy.