Fake fireplaces in the home . . . tacky or do you like them?

In our old apartment, we had a fireplace . . . not for use with firewood, but it was a gas one . . . we loved its glow and warmth . . . not too shabby to have in a little one bedroom apartment. We're in another apartment now - without the charm of a fireplace. I have seen those "fake" fireplaces - at Costco I think and in advertisements. The mantle and all is just a facade - and there might be a fake burning log (but warmth, I don't know). It "might" be kinda cool to have in here - but it'd sure seem out of place. It would be an expensive Christmas stocking holder - ha ha. We're just wondering about the one day our kids ask us how Santa comes to us without us having a fireplace/chimney. So, if you didn't have a chimney or fireplace, would you even consider buying a fake one? Is it tacky or could it actually be kinda cool?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Our new house has a fake fireplace. We didn't even know it wasn't a real one until we moved in. How dumb is that? I miss having a real fireplace!!!
Too funny, Dawn! I guess there are only certain times when the fireplace gets attention - the rest of the year it is ignored - so I can see how easily any fireplace can get overlooked. My parents had a real fireplace, but they rarely used it (only when I was a young kid) - and then the chimney got toppled over during the 94 earthquake and they never repaired it. My mom put contact paper all over the front of it - ahhhh - my mom . . . her idea of redecorating and fixing is covering stuff with contact paper - ha ha.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Ah yes, memories of the Northridge quake, toppled chimneys and block walls. Our survived though.
The block walls - ours didn't survive that either - but that got fixed! My parents could care less about fireplace - they didn't feel like forking out bucks to fix something they never used!
Well, we actually have a real fireplace in our home, so we don't even have to think about having a fake fireplace. As far as whether I like them or not, I really have to say that I don't really care for them. I like real fireplaces and I even like the gas log fireplaces, but the fake ones don't do justice to a fireplace in my honest opinion. They really boil down to being nothing more than a space heater with some stylization to them.
I'm sure when you've had a real fireplace in your home, you'd probably never want to deal with a fake fireplace. In all honesty the ones I've seen seemed a bit cheesy (the faux ones) but surely there must be decent ones out there that people want to buy them. I don't know that I'd get one for our space now, but oh do I miss our gas one at our old place!
@Nadinest1 (2040)
There are tacky ones out there, but there are fake fireplaces that are beautiful. They have an electric heater in them b y the way. I would like to have one but I don't have any room in my living room....although it could go in another room as well. When the kids get older....just tell them that he goes through the door if there isn't a chimney.
Oh yah, I've seen some really gaudy looking fake fireplaces - it'd REALLY look out of place here. I didn't know there was an electric heater in them - makes sense as it's supposed to heat up the room somehow. I guess it's basically an overglorified heater then? Someone else said to them Santa comes through the door too - hee hee!!
I like them very much and wish they were cheaper to get.. I have a wall here that one would really look good on. You should get it it is what you really want.
Well, I want one, but I don't know that it will look good here. We have one wall that it could fit in, but gosh, we should really get shelving and storage stuff instead because seriously need it. A fireplace of any kind would make it more chic though . . . oh I wish I could!! Yah, some of those fireplaces aren't too cheap, eh?!
@sender621 (14956)
I love fireplaces whether they are real or not. Nothing is cozier than the magic of a fireplace. even if it the fireplace is not real, the warmth still is. i don't think fake fireplaces are tacky, but i do like the real thing.
What is it about flames that we all like? It's so fascination to look at flames for some reason. Like you said, it's cozy and magical.
@Wefight (330)
Well at the moement in my house me and my family have a real fireplace but i much prefer the fake ones as they take up less polution and if the house is too hot you could just put the light on inside them or put the fire on without the light basically i find it a new design of the radiator but i suppose they have more better models now you also see them sometimes in caravans as they fit into the walla dn look really good and also just the look at them makes you feel warmer without any heat.So for all these reasons if i was you i would get a elctronic one but ofcourse it deppencds what one you like and also electronic ones take up hardly any energy or electricity so you will be able too keep them electricity and gas bills down too save some more money.
Well, nothing beats a real fireplace - at least you are fortunate to have a house in which to have one in! That is true the fake one would be less on pollution - and I had not thought of the idea that it can just simply be turned off. I remember my hubby's parent's house had a real fireplace which was designed badly - the smoke would just fill up the house.
@puccagirl (7316)
• Israel
I think they can be kind of cool, but it depends on the look of the fire place too of course. But I am not against the idea per se...
Yep - it can depend on the look of the room as well - and the room it would fit in our place is a wee bit scrunched. I've seen some gigantic faux fireplaces and surely it would be too gaudy here. Someday . . .
@cher913 (25890)
i like them alright. i think they make the room much cozier and welcoming. i would put one in if i had the room.
We don't have the room in this small place. I am thinking it just might make our place look even smaller with a big fireplace (as faux as it may be). I loved our gas fireplace in our old place - it was cozy and welcoming!!!
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
My father in law has one, and a friend of mine has one. I don't think it's tacky. I'd actually like one just to be able to use the mantle for decorating. Perhaps when my kids are older. BTW.. as far as asking how Santa gets in without a chimney... well he uses the front door just like all the other kids who don't have chimneys. We live in a trailer, no chimney. You live in an apartment.. other people live in other types of homes that do not have chimneys, so Santa has to use the front door. He's gotten used to it, but he's certain not to forget about any child on Christmas!
Hee hee - ok, it's nice to know someone out there has one. I don't know anyone personally who does . . . hmmm, or maybe I should take a closer look! Ha ha - and yah, good answer for Santa coming through the front door. What good manners Santa has - ha ha!! He just better takes his boots off before entering because we take off our shoes in our place - ha ha. You would think Santa should come through the front door at every house - it'd make his job easier!!
• Ecuador
one day in the future, when i buy my own house or apartment, i would love ho have a fireplace, not a chimney, because you have to burn wood, and i consider that our planet deserves respect, but i love the idea of a fake fireplace... really a good idea for my apartment... when some day in the future, i buy it...
That is true . . . at least a fake fireplace would help to preserve our trees (and to keep our air from pollution). Some places might look really cool with it - but I'm not sure that it will look that cool in ours (it might look out of place). Maybe when we have that extra pinch of money we'll test it out!