Agree to agree to disagree?

@Lore2009 (7389)
Do you agree to disagree? I guess, it is important to do this to stay "safe" and have company around. If you don't you may be alone. But, realistically, this is not possible... that's like saying love to hate, smile to frown.
I am one who can stress what I think may be my point but know enough when to agree to disagree. As we are all humans and I find that we can see things that perhaps are seen in a different light then the other person can see it. So I do not find the point in working my nerves as the other person may not be able to convince me otherwise and vice verse. So I find in my case that agreeing to disagree is much much healthier for me.
@Lore2009 (7389)
I agree. I agree in the process and it is understandable.. but technically, I felt the words are just contradicting each other.
@Qaeyious (2362)
Smiling and frowning are totally opposite physical activities, on that we agree. Unless I can stand on my head so that your frown looks like a smile. Love and hate are more abstract. Some philosophies say they are the same, just at different poles of the same emotion. In the same way, just how much different is agreeing from disagreeing? Both of us stubbornly holding on to the some view that appears to each other a wrong view. Now just how important is it to each of us to convert the other to our way of thinking? If one of us feel we have a moral obligation to change the view of the transgressor, yes, there will be resistance. But if it is something like preferring one sports team over another, heat kind of person would break a relationship over something that trivial? Of course, you may disagree with this view, and that is all right by me as well. I agree to disagree, and I hope you will as well.
@Lore2009 (7389)
I meant it more like "Let's frown to smile" or "Let's love to hate". But I agree, that they are all different topics and it will not really match with "Let's agree to disagree". I think it would be important to me to know that I am on the same page with someone if they are especially close to me. But for trivial things, I think I would be able to agree to disagree. I think it is necessary to agree to disagree... but if the subject is really important to me, I may still agree that we are disagreeing but I may put you in a 'not on same page' area. I just felt that those words "agree to disagree" is contradicting each other, that it technically doesn't make sense. Because if we're going to be ok with disagreeing, than why debate at all? (Technically speaking... I'm aware, we still communicate anyway.)
@buggles64 (2715)
Yes, I agree to disagree, but I am alone anyways. I think we all have different views, and opinions. I'm not going to convert anyone to a different religion or to believe in Santa Claus, so the easiest thing to do is "agree to disagree." Leave the disagreements to the debate club.
@Lore2009 (7389)
Yup, it's the easiest.
@megamatt (14332)
I think many times that is really the only way to walk away from a conversation without any bad feelings. I'm not going to convince you of my opinion if I feel strongly. The same thing with me, if I feel strongly about something. There are just times where two viewpoints just clash a bit too much. Therefore, it is best to agree to disagree. The mature thing to do indeed and it allows us to walk away without any bitterness.
That really doesn't make sense like you say. People should know that everyone is different and they don't have to always agree, it doesn't mean you can't respect them.
@JenInTN (27565)
Hi Lore! I do agree to disagree. I think that by doing so...you open yourself up to friendships that you may have not had a chance to have. I supppose it would depend on a few factors..but all in all I think that there are great friendships based on that fact.
Lore- It's never been one of my favorite sayings either because it seemed to me to not be representative of truly taking a stand about something. Typically when I've heard something like it has been over something that was simply not in the right. For example when my mother wants to say that all religions outside her own will end up in Hell, and I say that all religions are valid her response is "Let's agree to disagree" and I cannot. I feel that if I were to do that I would not be doing right by the values I believe in and live by. Namaste-Anora