Sick people/kids need to stay home!!!!!!

A few weeks ago, my daughter stayed home from school for 4 days. She had that flu thing with the 3 days or so of high fever and a cough. Poor thing really really wanted to go to school for the Thanksgiving day party, but I had to keep her home . . . there was no way I was going to let her go to school. She was so sad that she missed out - but she was not feeling too good AND she probably would have spread it around - it was best for everyone that she stayed home. So last week, I found out her friend was not feeling good - with a high fever and vomiting. Her mom called me to ask if I could get her homework on a Thursday . . . and she told me her daughter didn't want to miss out on her singing recital that Sunday nor the holiday program at school the following Tuesday. She actually let her daughter go to the recital and school . . . and when I asked the mom how her daughter was feeling, she said she was still throwing up and night and blah blah. Obviously she was still sick, and I am a bit livid - and wondering if my daughter (or anyone else) is going to get this stomach bug since they are friends. I just hope that girl is passed the contagious period . . . but still. And of course I hear about people going to work even if they are sick . . . it's like they feel obligated to be at work - or it's a money issue and they say they cannot miss work. So everyone gets sick! I'm not working, but hubby is . . . so if anyone gets sick at the office, most likely he'll get it, and then we at home will get it. Argh! SICK PEOPLE - STAY AT HOME UNTIL YOU ARE TOTALLY BETTER! Anyone else hate this vicious, unnecessary cycle of spreading sickie germs? Well, I suppose germs are everywhere no matter where you go - best to wash your hands a lot and keep yourself from getting sick . . . but still . . .
@megamatt (14333)
In principle I agree that you should stay home if you are sick. The thing is, most people really need the money and therefore, they go to work in some conditions that they should stay home. And being sick does set you back. I do admit that from time to time, I might have gone to school when I was younger, when it might have been a good idea to stay home. I think that in the winter, it is unavoidable, as even if people are not exhibiting symptoms, their is going to be some latent stuff in the air that is going to cause some trouble and germs tend to linger, even if you take the proper steps to avoid them.
What gets me thinking is that even when people are sick they still decide to go to work. I mean, fair enough, you need the money, but sometimes you need to decide which is more important in your life. Your money or your health. Pushing yourself to go to work when sick would only make you more sick in the long term, which means money spent on appointments and medicine. So yes, short term it seems like a good way to avoid your financial barriers, but in the long term, watch out! For school children, I do recommend that they stay home when they are sick. It's worth catching up on work when your feeling better, as you wouldn't memorize anything when you are sick. My Mother would have never sent me to school when I was sick, and I thank her for that. Most Mothers think that leaving their child at school will just make them fall behind, but really, those who rest when they are sick, end up getting the better results.
megamatt I can understand in this economy people do need the money. But if you think about it, by circulating illnesses, EVERYONE gets sick, then the company on the whole cannot be productive, and most likely it will recirculate back to you - no one ever gets better. If people stayed home and got better quickly - THEN came to work, it'd be much more productive than if you go to work and be sick for so many days that you're literally suffering (and making everyone else around you suffer too). That's my opinion anyway. pweety_princess Exactly. Pushing yourself doesn't get you better any quicker - just stay home, rest up, and go to work when you're feeling decent! I'd rather recoop to 100% as quick as I can rather than be sick for weeks on end (which everyone seems to be at this time) - you never get better that way. And same with school - a kid isn't going to fall behind for a couple days of absence - in fact when they come back healthier, they can focus better!
@dodo19 (26663)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I do agree with you. I do think that it is better if people stay home until they are fully better. It's the best thing to do. I find that you can get better a little more quickly. However, the unfortunate thing is that sometimes, we can't always afford to miss work, or school, or something.
I know many people think they can't afford to miss work (because of money or short of hands in the company) or school (missed classwork, adding to absenses), but isn't your health more important? And how about as a courtesy to others - to not make them ill especially if you are contagious?
@dodo19 (26663)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
You do raise a good point. You're health is more important. I think that perhaps, in this case, there is no right answer. I think that it might depend on the situation.
Well, I think it's about making the best choice - not just for your sake/gain, but for others as well. But most often the person will do only what's right for them - and not necessarily what's right for everyone else. What might be the right answer for a person may not be the right answer for the public.
• Tokelau
i agree. my parents almost all the time send me to school even though i'm sick, cause they don't want me to skip classes, but i eventually end up worse, and so i have to stay home even more time than i might have needed before in my country though, you go to school if you have a cold, and almost all the classmates take it too, and so we're like a collective that doesn't just share oppinions, but germs too ^^'
That is exactly my point. People need to stay home and get better while they are ahead. Not taking care of oneself can lead to longer recooperating time. I think wherever you go, if a sick kid goes to school, most likely the kids around them will get sick - and they will in turn give those germs to the rest of the kids. Sigh. Half the class is gone during this season because of the germ spreading!
@yoyo1198 (3644)
With the economy the way it is these days I know that it is difficult for the adults to miss days of work. Most employers do not allow enough sick days per year and if you use them up then you're minus the money for any further sick days. But parents letting sick children go on to school, church and other functions is almost unforgiveable. I've caught many a cold from being in the vicinity of a sick child. But then, children are having children and those parents aren't really thinking about the long-term effects of taking their youngsters out and about when the outing is something that the parent(s) wants to do. I don't know what the solution is. The public health departments try to educate the general population but it doesn't seem like they are being heard.
Doesn't the economy suck in that sense? Work (money)is more important than health (and the health of others). And yes, soooo many sick kids are everywhere - it's as if it's easier for the parents to just let them go to school or church or wherever as it's more convenient for them. Having a sick child home means that a working parent most likely needs to stay home - and then we're back to work being more important than health. Sigh.
Hello there! Whenever it is possible to take a rest when I am sick, I would take a real good rest. The problem is I can't seem to find that chance! All I can do id endure it ans with proper medication, I would just eventually recover without being absent from work. The thing that we are avoiding to happen when we are sick is the possibility of passing on the viruses and bacterias that we are carrying depending on the illness that we are experiencing. Oftentimes, I even wish of getting sick just to have a day off from loads of work! whew!
See, the thing is, those medications just suppress the symptoms, they don't really take them away. They make you think you are better, when you're not better. So it's easy to overdo it when you're on any medicine - plus the fact that it doesn't make you any less contagious. Ha ha - oh yes, I think many of us wish we were sick just so we don't have to do things - but watch out what you wish for! Hee hee.
I agree with you 100%. There are some really inconsiderate people when it comes to sickness. However, many people don't have the options to keep their children at home and we have to think of that. I personally would do everything to prevent exposing my sick child to others, but not everyone is the same and not everyone has the same resources or ability to stay home with their children. Just wondering if you discussed you mentioned this to the woman? I don't know if I would because you don't want to burn bridges obviously, but it might not even be on her mind. In other words, she might not be thinking about the consequences. There are many people like that in the world. It takes bright people like you to bring things to their attention. Happy New Year
I know, it's easier for me to say because I'm a stay at home mom - but there are others who do work and they need for their kids to go to school so that they are able to still get to work. Yah, and at whose expense? I didn't exactly discuss this with the mom, but there was this sort of silent exchange of "knowingness" between us - she knew what she was doing, and knew she shouldn't be doing it, but she did it anyway. Yah, I probably could have or should have said something, but she would have done it anyway I think.
@Nadinest1 (2042)
A status from Facebook that says it all: ______wants to thank all those parents who keep sending their kids to school sick. My children also wanted to thank you, but they are in the bathroom throwing up!
Ha ha - and isn't that so true? Oh gosh and there are so many moms I know who are posting on Facebook that their kids are throwing up right now. I hate this stomach bug that's going around - poor kids that have to go through it. But it seems the way thing are going - ALL the kids will be hit with it - it's almost inevitable. Argh.
it depends really on the type of sickness you have. if its contagious, then better stay home, otherwise u will be spreading diseases. Moreover, sick people needs to stay home to have proper/adequate rest for fast recovery. sometimes our Sickness suggests to us that we should rest or have vacation from work, 'coz some sickness means we're exhausted from the things weve made
I think a lot of people don't realize they are contagious - or at least they don't think of it. Yes, staying at home to have proper rest will help with recovering quickly - and not be sick for eons (like some people I know). It's sad that our society has given everyone the mentality that it's more important to work than to take care of our own health.
@sender621 (14956)
It doesn't really do anybody any good when you send your children to school when they are sick. Everyone ends up getting sick. it seems like a vicious circle. Keeping your children home when they are sick is the best thing you can do for everyone's health.
Yep, I totally agree. I have seen the vicious cycle in our class since November. I still haven't seen a full class yet - it's crazy! I hear all the kids coughing and sniffling still . . . the potential germs irk me but there's nothing I can do - I need to send my healthy child to school. I really wish these parents would keep their sick children home.
A lot of the times I sent my daughter to school not knowing she was sick. Towards the end of the day the school called and told me she needed to be picked up because she was running a low fever. Every time this happened she has had tonsilitis. It comes on really fast with her. Shes had it 7 times in 18 months now. Shes going to have her tonsils removed soon. If my daughter was running a fever BEFORE school I would not send her. If she vomited I would keep her out of school for 24 hours or longer after the last time she stopped throwing up. Sometimes kids will feel a little better then start vomiting again. I dont want to send her if she might be contagious still to other kids. To many people send their kids to school sick just so they wont have to miss work. I know its hard when you might lose your job if you have to call off work all the time but still your child comes first and when they are sick you should stay home with them instead of sending them to school to make everyone else sick. With all this being said I completely understand what you are saying. I would have been appalled as well!
Well, I think it's totally understandable when you were not aware that your child was sick - no one can fault you for that. But it's the parents that do know that their child is sick, but they send them off to school anyway! Oh gosh, and the vomiting thing is going around right now - half the kids in my daughter's class are always out because of it - it started from November and I think it's still "circulating". Hope your daughter gets better from the tonsilitis! Yes, and I realize people cannot take off work so easily and need for their kids to be in school . . . but I agree children should come first (perhaps it's easier said than done, as I am a stay at home mom).