Common Sense Conservatism

@anniepa (26267)
I always thought conservatives wanted everyone to be productive members of society, that they disapproved greatly of those who chose to live off government coffers. I guess I've been mistaken all this time, at least regarding some people! One example is the estate tax or the so-called "death tax" which somehow mysteriously ended up in the "deal" worked out between President Obama and the GOP leadership; now the first $5 MILLION dollars are exempt from the tax instead of $2.5 million for individuals and $3 million for couples, which has been dropped from 55% to 30%. It's great to see the right is looking out for the Paris Hiltons and Walton heirs of the country! We can't "afford" to give senior citizens and the disabled a measly $250 to make up for the lack of a COLA, which would have been a tremendous help to most of them but we sure CAN afford to lose out on many times what that would cost to make it possible for the children of billionaires to never have to produce anything or pay taxes again! Please tell me, someone, ANYONE, where is the common sense in that? Another example is the "Dream Act", which some on the right continue to call "amnesty" and to make false claims that it somehow would harm white Americans. This bill deals with "illegal" immigrants who came to the United States with their parents or other guardians before they'd reached the age of 16. I'm sorry, but just because they "technically" came here illegally I have a really hard time thinking of them as "criminals"! This bill actually costs NOTHING so it's not at all a matter of "can we afford it?". It's about children who come here and work hard and either manage on their own to finish college or enlist in the military and willingly put their lives on the line for their adopted country. It's simply about giving these people who were brought here by no choice of their own as children as path to citizenship and thus an opportunity to become productive, tax-paying members of our society. It's not about paying their way through college and pushing other kids aside nor is it about giving their parents amnesty. It's about giving them a chqance, which they've already earned, in my humble opinion. Does it really make MORE sense for them to be denied a pathway to citizenship and therefore be forced to work "under the table" at low-paying jobs even if they get a college education? Perhaps you'd prefer that they be sent "back to where they came from" despite the fact it would be totally foreign to them and full of strangers? Annie
@artistry (4154)
...Hi annie, These are the calculations on the GOP's part in my opinion anyway. First the estate tax credit is for their millionaire and billionaire friends who will give them donations for helping them stay rich. So this will result in more campaign contributions. The Dream Act would mean in their minds more Democratic votes possibly because they are minorities, that's why they can't or won't deal with the immigration problem by helping the people become citizens in the first place, they would rather ship them back to never, never land. The $250 to seniors I am sure they feel that seniors don't have any money to give them campaign contributions so why give them money to buy food. As far as I am concerned they are cold and heartless. John McCain has lost him mind, Tom Coburn didn't change his mind about the 9/11 first responder's health benefits until his office was stormed by protesters and he got off his butt and moved. It looks to me like the GOP would not care if all those without money would just croak. Maybe both sides are derelict in some way but the GOP is so far beyond having any empathy for those without it is cruel on its face. Cheers.
@anniepa (26267)
Both parties have their faults and flaws, believe me I know that, but I think you're right on target about the GOP. Alan Grayson really nailed it and took a lot of flack for doing so! I think you're right about McCain, he's literally not the same person he once was. I think losing the election really embittered him. Coburn lied through his teeth regarding committee hearings about the 9/11 bill. HE might not have attended any but that's because HE was absent, not because there weren't any! Annie
@gewcew23 (8012)
As to the estate tax, here is my common sense estate tax plan. All non-monetary property inherited, up to 200K should be exempt, from the tax and then the non-monetary property value should be taxed at 35% of it's value. All money up to one million dollars should be taxed at it's income tax bracket value. Example, if you inherit $100K you would have to pay what ever your income tax would be on a $100K. At one million dollars the tax rate should be at 50% of every dollar over one million dollars. So lets say that the top tax bracket is 33%, so your first one million dollars inherited would be taxed at 33%, the next dollar and so on would be taxed at 50%. I think that this is very much acceptable. As to what to do about the people who came here with their parents illegally, here is my plan. They are here we need to deal with it. Actually we need to do the same with the children of illegal as their parents, and no the answer isn't deportation. The answer is a pathway to citizenship. Apparently they want to live here. First we need a registry for these people to register that they are here. Second during registry the government agency that is administering this will need to find out with the illegals have a job, and legal relatives. Their employer and legal relative has to promise to be responsibly for them until they become legal. For those that are here without a job, they will need to find employment or face deportation. Those that do not have a legal relative will need to find a sponsor who will be responsible for them until they become legal. After this these that are here illegally, but have meet the standard from up above will be given documentation and put on a path to citizenship. This path will include English and civics classes. Those that agree to serve in the military will be rewarded by becoming a citizen faster than those that chose not too. After completion they will be rewarded will citizenship. What do you think Annie
@anniepa (26267)
What do I think? I think you make so much sense you'd have Sister Sarah scratching her head in confusion because it would go WAY over her head. Annie
Guess what Annie!! I actually agree with you! When I see the absolutely ridiculous projects that out our government has earmarked funds for and the generous exemption of $5 million in taxes yet cannot spare the $250.00 for the elderly and disabled is so unfair. As a naturalized citizen who came to this country legally and followed the laws to be come an American citizen I see red when blanket amnesty is mentioned for all these criminals illegally here in our country...BUT I do agree with the Dream Act for young people who had no choice in how they entered the USA. However I hope there is no undercover/sneaky ways that this Dream act can in any way allow parents or other family members who are still illegals/criminals to be allowed to find a loophole for them to get a shortcut to citizenship!!
@anniepa (26267)
Will wonders never cease...lol! I also agree with you about not wanting any loopholes for the parents or other relatives. This should be a bill that applies strictly to the kids who were brought here when they had no choice in the matter and who worked hard in school and broke no laws of any kind. I think they deserve a chance for a fresh start. Annie
@laglen (19783)
Regarding the estate tax - just how many times do they get to tax the same dollar? If somebody works hard and wants to leave that money to their kids, where is the common sense that the government should get 55%???? but just because they "technically" came here illegally I have a really hard time thinking of them as "criminals" Ok, sure I "technically killed the guy but hey I am not a crook" see how silly that sounds? This bill actually costs NOTHING so it's not at all a matter of "can we afford it?". The astronomical costs to the Dream Act have been estimated above $20 billion in the first two years alone. http://www.usmoneytalk.com/finance/immigration-reform-what-will-the-dream-act-cost-americans-909/
@anniepa (26267)
What you said certainly does sound silly but it's not even close to what I wrote. We're talking about children here, under 16 at the time they were brought here. They didn't choose to come here illegally, they were brought here by their parents. Therefore, no, they aren't criminals. What would you have them do? Should a five year old be expected to "refuse" to accompany his or her parents across the border because they were entering illegally? Now THAT sounds silly! Regarding the estate tax, I guess we could go back and forth on that forever. The government isn't getting 55%. It was and would have gone back to 55% of the amount above $3 million but under the new bill it will be 35% of the amount over $5 million. Annie
@laglen (19783)
Annie, I believe giving the free pass only encourages the behavior. If I knew I could maybe get a slap on the wrist and a million dollars (this is an example) if I crossed a border, I would do it. The benefits of entering this country with out permission are too great to discourage it.
@djbtol (5501)
It is just a difference in philosophy. You believe it is OK in every way to take money from those who have more than you. It is, pure and simple. You say that the heirs of a wealthy family have don't deserve to have that money, but I say that the government has even less right to it, considering that they have already taken much in the way of taxes. Honestly, forget the dollar categories and tell me you would not mind taking half of your children's inheritance and giving it to the government? As far as the DREAM, if you would look a little closer, you would see it is a nightmare. You have this vision of these illegal immigrants not expecting anything from the government? They are just going to work their way through college on their own ticket? Not a chance. Because they are minorities and a special project of the democrats, they will be sucking up the financial aid for college. There are lot's of middle class citizens already who need some of that financial aid. At least some of them are getting the boot. http://socyberty.com/issues/a-victory-for-justice/
@anniepa (26267)
The article in your link doesn't mention if anything is being done to the employers hiring these illegal immigrants. I think they're the biggest part of the problem! As for the Dream Act, here's more information. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c111:./temp/~c111BcXZCT http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/DREAM-Act-WhiteHouse-FactSheet.pdf Annie