Does this sound like a scam?

@Suzieqmom (2763)
I have an item listed on Ebay as a buy it now/best offer. I received a best offer from a potential buyer, and I had 2 days to respond. During that time, the buyer tried to "back out" but wouldn't file a form with Ebay as he is required to do; instead, he asked me to just let him retract his offer because he bought another one instead. I replied that he had made a binding offer and that if I got another offer, I would take the other offer (even if it was lower), but if I didn't, that he would be required to pay for the item. He then said he would agree to pay for the item if I pay for the shipping. I looked up his profile; he is an experienced seller who has been a member of Ebay for more than 10 years. He must know Ebay's policies by now. I think this is a scam--to get the item for less by being a pain and hoping I'll give in. Otherwise why not fill out the best offer retraction form and let it go through Ebay? What do you think, and what would you do in my situation?
@shattered (1731)
Keep a copy of your communication and report it to ebay. He is trying to get your product for less at your expense. Moreso because he is an experienced ebay seller, he should know the policies. Protect yourself first.
@Suzieqmom (2763)
Excellent advice, which I followed. He has decided to pay.
@shattered (1731)
That's great to hear. Congratulations on the sale.
Suzie- He may be running a scam to get a lower price, but maybe he honestly did not want it and simply wants to back out. Though with him asking for no shipping sounds to me like he's trying to get the item for less and no shipping. I do remember one time having Ebay bugger out on me during a purchase and when I refreshed it ordered two! I had to write to the seller to tell them my mistake and they withdrew the bid for two. However, now that I know the doll was the only ones I could get I should have just left it and bought two of the same item! Heh. Namaste-Anora
@Suzieqmom (2763)
At first I thought he just wanted to back out; but once he refused to go through the proper procedure and also wants me to pay for shipping, I think he's trying to pull a scam. If he were a new Ebayer, i would have let him back out, no problem, but he has way more experience than me! Plus, unfortunately, this is not the first potential scammer I have run into this holiday season, which is really too bad. If he had inadvertently done what you had done, then that would have been a different story! Too bad about the dolls-I have done thing like that, too!
Long back, i had made purchases from ebay, i feel i was cheated pricewise and i was not given the product for which i had ordered, recenly i ordered for a cellphone from an online store in india, here too i was cheated.. Thanks for sharing, may be it is scmming Best of luck. Professor
I have let people back out without going through ebay. I don't care for all the drama and it does not bother me. I bid on something and backed out because I found it cheaper and the people were so nice they just let it go and were very decent and understanding.
@dibs2010 (132)
You must check the quality of the product if it is low then it will sound like scam but if it is good one then their is some plug problem or any settings problem. happy holiday's.