Much less than last year - but will they notice?

This year, my children will be receiving far less gifts than they usually get. This is for many reasons but the main two are; our financial situation isn't good; and they don't respect things, so I don't want to give them too much. The question is, will they notice how much less Santa has brought this year? I'll be very interested to see if they do, and how they react. They've got plenty of new things, but compared to last year's haul, it isn't much.
@peavey (16829)
I don't think kids count gifts, do they? I think that if the gifts are something they want and/or will interest them, you've done a good job. It may not be as much as last year, but if last year was overwhelming, they may appreciate this year's fewer gifts more.
You know, I thought I had bought SO much less this year. When I came to wrap the presents, I found I had bought more than I thought! So, I put some away for their birthdays next year, yet they still had too much and haven't looked at half of it yet. I was obviously worrying about nothing!
@cutepenguin (6457)
So...did they notice? I think it's a good step toward having holidays that are about more than just presents. Also, it's good to model good spending. My mom didn't have money for presents, so we tended to get presents from aunts and uncles and something small like a book from our mom. We never noticed. (although we might have if there had been a year with lots and then a year with just a little). My child is still a baby, so to be honest, we didn't get him a Christmas present. He liked opening his gifts from other people, but he mostly tried to eat the ribbon and play with the paper. He didn't understand that the toy or clothes were a present. I feel like a bad parent because of this though. The thing is, he doesn't need anything right now, and we need to save our money because he will need things later. Like food. And diapers. And shoes.
I think the spirit of Christmas has nothing to do with the amount of presents. A present is just a symbol and children should learn about that. Only their parents can teach them. Christmas is about love. How about singing carols together before dinner? How about making them draw pictures for their loved ones and then letting them wrap the pictures in Christmas paper? How about hugging? Never forget that Santa does NOT bring the toys. You have probably done your best to give them what they want. You cannot do more. Lovew is what they need, what we all need. Merry Christmas!!!
@ajett1 (65)
I havent been a parent long, my son turns 2 on the 7th of January but I know two things one kids pick up on every thing so they will probrobly notice and two the wrong thing to do is get them more than you can afford and either go into debt or not be able to get them things they NEED. I havent been doing this parenting thing long but I know that.
@Lore2009 (7389)
My parents rarely got us gifts. I always thought we were really poor... but now that I'm older, I really appreciate the little things and I don't go to material things to make me happy. I'm glad I was raised like this.
@buggles64 (2715)
I tried explaining the situation to my daughter and not to expect to many things under the tree this year. And, I also tried explaining that Christmas is not about the gifts, but the birth of Jesus. I also explained that I buy them many things throughout the year, and if she doesn't get something now...she might get it later in the year. I think she was satisfied with the answer I gave her. Each of my children are getting three gifts that I bought and then I made them a gift a piece. I am sure they will be very happy with the gifts they receive this year. I keep telling them that this is going to be the best Christmas ever and I truly believe that it will.