Is it is because of the celebrity or the product

@suspenseful (40316)
A few years ago, my husband bought me a George Foreman Grill. Now there were very good Kenmore grills (we usually get our kitchen and large item stuff from Sears), as well as other brands, but at that time, my husband felt that if someone like George Foreman, and now Montel Williams or if Sidney Portier, and esp. if Denzel Washington put their name to a product, it was good. Well my grill broke down, the motor burned out. So I figured if he had gotten the store brand, well they would have taken it back if something had gotten wrong since Sears gives good warranties. Now there is a multi blender that is advertised as being the best, and the one I want is not available in Canada, but it does not have a celebrity spokesman for it. So when and if you do buy one of those AS seen on TV products, do you do what I do, go on the net and read all the reviews before deciding to save for it, and later get it, or do you think that if a celebrity recommended it, it has to be good. By the way I have not seen Russell Crowe recommend a particular product, yet. I am talking about actors not cooks or those in the cooking trade.
@ElicBxn (60894)
When the roomie got her first Foreman grill, it was like the only thing on the market like it. Now that we have a new one (not Foreman) we got it because she could use her Harris Poll points for it.
I think it is a matter of luck in some appliances and has nothing to do with who is recommending them. I have had my George Foreman Grill for more than 10 years and my best friend has had her's about the same length of time and we have had no problems with them.
@suspenseful (40316)
My husband got me the Foreman Grill because he believed that if an African American endorsed something, it had to be good. AT the last few months of his life, he realized that no one's ethnic group makes them more superior to others. But for a time, he would look for movies and if Denzel WAshington was in it, it was good. Anyway what made me suspicious was years ago when there was this talk show about bad kids, where the kid who was from the mid west disobeyed his parents and especially his father, but as soon as the black man who was going to teach him a lesson on how to behave showed up, the boy was oh so good. To me, race should not determine why someone buys a product, and I do wonder whether you bought the grill because there was no other available or because of Foreman. If a famous cook endorsed the product, would you still have gotten it.
I bought the grill because it was just the size I was looking for. I had no idea who George Foreman was even care who had endorsed it.
@suspenseful (40316)
My husband got it for me so we could entertain without putting on the outdoors propane grill. It was that big and that gave up. So now I have a new outdoor grill and I hate barbequing outside. But what I did not like was that I like my steaks to be juicy and with all the fats going out, the steaks were dry. I did get a small Reddisetgo that is just the right size for a widow and if I found a nice widower later on, I could cook asmll meal for him. Read the reviews and then a couple of days ago, read the bad reviews. Then I read one from a gentleman who said the reason that the non=stick surface peeled off was because they used Pam and the gases in it takes off the finish. I use olive oil and my own spray container. And the woman demonstrating was a cook and from what I know about cooks, they are extra careful and she was demonstrating it for a widower. So a middle aged lady cook and a widower in his 60s or 70s are not going to throw anything around and make a mess, are they?
@camposkat (310)
I really don't think it's all about the celebrity who is endorsing the product. I think it is the quality of the product or the durability of it that matters. Yes I have heard of celebrity endorsers but most of them don't even use these products or tried them. I know that these celebrity-endorsed products are also a bit on the expensive side but I learned from my parents that you should always trust a brand that has been known for years. It really doesn't matter who is endorsing it, as long as it is top quality. Take Pyrex for example, my fiance said that Pyrex has been here for ages and it is a trusted brand so whenever we look at kitchen appliances or tools, we check for those well-trusted (not just well-known) brands. :)
@suspenseful (40316)
I love Pyrex. And it is the quality of the product, but why do people think that because Montel or Cindy says it is good, tht it is? Why does not a famous cook come and say that the product does what it does and he uses it in his kitchen? Why does not one of the Iron Chefs come or from one of the cooking shows say that he or she uses the product all the time and does a lot of heavy mixing, and grinding and it works perfectly? When a celebrity endorses a product, I wonder if people are buying it because of the celebrity or the quality? Sometimes I wonder.
My mother gave me Foreman grill years ago, not the one I wanted mind you, but it was a small Foreman. I love it! I want the bigger one that has the griddle, and so forth but my little one does well for our steaks when we cannot grill outside. I wanted one not for the name though but for what the machine does. It truly does reduce the amount of fat because of the design. I'm sure there are others on the market but I trust it because I've used it. I've not had it burn it out yet and I've owned it for three years and used it quite a bit. I suppose I very rarely buy something just because some celebrity is behind it. I could care less who is marketing the item. I care about if the item works. I mean, I buy Craftsman because it is a good product not because Bob Villa stands behind it. Namaste-Anora
@suspenseful (40316)
Bob Villa is in the house repair business, but is George Foreman a mechanic who decided to go into football? No. That is what I am getting at. Look Rachel Ray has a set of kichenware, but she is a cook. What I feel is that the reason these celebrities endorse the product is based that if they endorse it their opinion matters above everyone else's. but unless th e celebrity had a take either suggesting the way to help make it or is an expert in the field one should be careful in buying that product.
@Lakota12 (42681)
nope wouldnt think it the best! JOrdan put his name on reabox and found out later that they were made in seat shops in CHina yup CHina the kids made 25Cents a day and we paid $60 or more for the product. SO some put thier name on things and they have no idea where hey are made. BUt I do have to say the Air JOrdans were very good shoes wore them for years and cant find any more like them grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
@suspenseful (40316)
I would not mind buying products made by children if I was sure that the children were going into an apprentice program and when they were 18 or so would be masters of the craft and would get paid a decent training wage. And the company would have to assure me by showing the school where the children are learning how to read and write and do math, etc. that they only work certain hours, and have play time. But otherwise, no. I feel in poor countries, the children may have to work earlier then normal to help the family. And I think the Chinese children should get a better wage, but do not know how they determine the wage there and iif the mark up is too high.
@Lakota12 (42681)
you know darn good and well thy are going to do that over there where they get cheap labor no only kids but woman too not seen many men in a sweat shop unless they ere running it. and ya can see that the mark up is way out there!
@suspenseful (40316)
The women should stay at home and the;men should be making the money and supporting their families.
@dragon54u (31638)
I am the opposite--I tend to avoid a product endorsed by a celebrity. They will do anything for money and don't have to believe in a product in order to endorse it so I know that it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good product when a celebrity is speaking for it. When I buy something I research it and look for user feedback. That's how I make my decision whether or not to buy. And I rarely buy anything that's just come on the market.
@suspenseful (40316)
That is what I do. I check out the reviews and find out how durable it is. I disregard any review that has nothing to do how the product works and whether one can get parts. do think a lot of people buy a product because they are in celebrity worship and that is
@dragon54u (31638)
That is bizarre! I wonder why Canada loves Obama so much? After all, he doesn't make policy for Canada. It's strange that you have a kind of reverse discrimination now!
@suspenseful (40316)
You should read our Globe and Mail and go into our bookstore where the books written by Obama and praising him are predominantly in the political section. Of course, me being a big meenie put another book in front or hide them. Think of the Canadian political writers who are not getting their books sold because of him. I do wonder why they do, I do not. In fact I believe his saying that he is moderate is just to get elected and he still believes in big government. I think that is because we are supposed to be multicultural in that not only do we welcome people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the idea is that those who are non white are morally superior and natural leaders. I blame that movie Out of AFrica for part of that and the evolutionists idea that we all came from AFrica. It could be that we came from Asia and Europe and moved to Africa because of the extreme cold. Oh most of our newspapers are very liberal and are saying bad things about our Prime Minister who is a conservative, just like what happened with Bush.
I don't go for a product just because of the celebrity endorser.I go for my preference rather than based on endorsements.I read the product reviews though,to at least give me any idea.otherwise,being the stubborn person that I am,I will buy/use the product no matter what people say.an example is,I will buy a nice pair of Versace shoes,not because my favorite model is endorsing it,but because I like the shoes.
@suspenseful (40316)
I was looking for a grill that would work for a single or a couple. I have the Foreman grill that my husband gave me, but after a while it wore out and it no longer heated up, just as the Oster deep fryer stopped working after a while. I usually follow the directions and am a little more cautious in using products. I usually wait until the product is in the stores. We have an AS Seen on TV store, and it is best to buy from them as they guarantee everything in them and that means that the manufacturer of the product makes sure that what they send out is of the best quality considering. I did look on info on George Foreman, lots of him being a boxer, and becoming a minister of the gospel, nothing about how he used to help his mom cook when he was a boy, or tried to make a make shift grill when he was a child.
@LittleMel (14055)
I never buy branded or celebrity endorsed unless the price is about the same and the quality is about the same some things I consider the waranty, but some waranties are limited so now I only go with price and quality I guess celebrity does take the risk of endorsing a product, they wouldn't endorse a crappy one but then again store products are not necessarily bad quality either