Hitting up the grocery store today

Not because I'm out of groceries by any means. However, my local Aldi's was marking holiday food items down on the 23rd and if I catch it just right I may find a deal. After halloween I found canned cinnamon rolls w/ orange frosting for .25 a container! Other years I've found candy for that cheap for other holidays.... like .25 for imported German Easter candy the other year....SO YUMMY! And my Aunt said one of the Aldi's in the area was marking down hams by $5, so I went to snoop on the 23rd initially to my local Aldi but did not find any here. I was sooooo hoping as a ham would make several nice meals for cheap! Not sure if I want to go to one of my favorite grocery mark down haunts as it's on the other side of town and with gas hitting the over $3/gal mark I'm debating it. Anyone else scavenging the grocery stores today?
The gas prices are ridiculous!!!! I am waiting for the after Christmas mark downs but I won't be heading to the store today, because I don't feel very well, I like Aldi's I used to not like it but I went there the other day and got a bagful of food for $12.00 That was awesome!!! Well gotta go havae a good day and hope you had a Merry Christmas!!
Glad you tried it out. I hope you've been back to Aldi since. Aside from limited varieties in things, they are usually a great deal cheaper than many stores even wal-mart.
Yea I have been back a few times and it is a short line usually and I can get in and get out quick without all the waiting and lower prices as well not on all things but most things and some things they don't have that I would get at Wal Mart so I usually go to both but I don't mind!
@peavey (16640)
I've thought of going out to the grocery store a few blocks away, but I'll have to talk myself into it. I don't like the crowds, but the thought of some good deals sure does appeal. I'm going on a stricter budget after the first of the year and it would be nice to have a stash of good food to start with.
Did you ever go? I did and it was a total BUST! I was very disappointed about it. We've been on a strict budget too, it's called I buy the basics (if that) and pray we could afford extras or not to have to go to a pantry the 1-2x they allow to supplement our lack of funds & 3 growing kids. Thankfully hubby has been working alot of extra hours so I've been stocking up as much as I can on our basics like mac'n cheese, cream soups, pasta, pasta sauce ect.
@peavey (16640)
I don't remember! LOL But I don't think I did. I still have a fair pantry built up from last fall when there were a lot of sales so I'm just stretching everything as far as it will go for awhile. I intend to put in a bigger garden this year so that should help. The prices keep going higher and higher on everything!
@34momma (13896)
OMG shopping the day after christmas is the best. you get the very best deals ever. I think i am going to get dressed shortly and go see if i can find some great things on sale. I would love my gourmet stuffed pasta and coffee creamer! oh yummy
Stuffed pizza... now that sounds delish! I didn't find much of anything. To my surprise there wasn't much holiday things left & they weren't much off either.
Not today but after the holiday's I want as many gift bags,wrapping paper,and christmas cards as I can store. I will be having a better Christmas next year. This one was just awesome. I will hope they have food on sale when I go to buy food. I want to learn how to make a ham so that would me great to find on sale.
A ham is not much different than a roast other than it usually takes longer to cook. If you don't have a thermometer it doesn't hurt to cut it open and check how cooked it looks. And if you want it to cook faster slice it up into chunks as they'll cook faster than a whole ham or roast.
@dragon54u (31617)
Not I! I don't want to go out into that madness! There will be millions of people (or so it will seem) headed to the stores for returns and exchanges and looking for deals and grocery stores are no exception. With just me to feed, it's not worth the hassle. When my kids were small I did it and it was a madhouse but I got some very good deals. That ham sounds delicious! It almost makes me want to go out and look but the thought of the traffic and the crowds--and the snow flurries--will keep me here at home! I have a lot of work due soon anyway!
I know what you mean that's why I'm just going to the Aldi near by. And I'm sure with things being on the weekend doesn't help things as people who work during the week can't get to the stores always. When you do have small kids and an even smaller budget you have to fight the crowds sometimes no matter if it's the crowds or the kids that test your patience. I know I've been thinking about a nice ham since my Aunt mentioned it. If I don't find one I'll ask if she's out and about or if my uncle could pick me up 2. I'd cook one tomorrow if I can get my hands on it.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I like to scavenge the after holiday sales as well because you can usually find some good stuff that you can save for later. Turkey's, etc, I love to eat turkey not just on the holidays but anytime of year so if you can find a good one or two and freeze the, it's still just as delicious later in the year.
I didn't do any grocery store scavaging this year because my sinuses really started bothering me on Boxing Day this year. Typically, I love to hit up the stores after Thanksgiving and Christmas to find the deals, but where I didn't feel well, I really didn't think that it was a good idea to get out and about too much. So, did you find any really good deals after Christmas this year or not? I did notice today that our Kroger store still had a fair amount of general merchandise marked at 50% off.
@gdesjardin (1938)
We have Aldi's down here, but for some reason they don't have the bargains as they do up in the Midwest. My sister lives near Chicago and she is always telling me about great bargains at Aldi's but we never seem to have them down here. We have two different Aldi's that opened up within the past few years and there are some bargains on canned good, but nothing else. I would think all Aldi's would have the same great bargains, but I guess not. I shouldn't complain however, if your gas is over $3.00 a gallon that is pretty high, ours just jumped up to $2.85 and I was complaining about that. I guess I should keep my mouth shut....lol
@Blondie2222 (21818)
I sometimes scavage grocery stores after the holidays because they do have some good deals. But not this year. I mostly just scavaged stores like walmart and stuff because they had some awesome deals there on movies and cd's and of course I bought some, couldn't pass it up. I'm going back to walmart to today to check out more deals since I didn't have time to fully look around the other day. Good luck on ur ham hunting. Gas prices are horrible out this way too.
I buy marked down groceries all the time, whenever I shop. I will not make a special trip. I have to drive over thirty miles to either of the closest Aldis store. My local Kroger/Dillons does mark things down regularly and I pick them up when they fit my needs. Wal Mart does some, and I will pick stuff up there as well. Sometimes my cart has nothing in it that is not marked down.
I usually wait until Monday and Tuesday after the sale, as this way there is no big demands and around here that is when they begin to do mark downs. I usually find a great deal of items reduced as many of the stores here get ready for January's inventory week. I did on the 24th pick up two pork roasts that normally sell for $26 so got each for ten. I already had one on regular price so I am saving one for New years and the other I sliced up and put in the freezer, so this one will be pigging out through out the year. LOL
@ElicBxn (60884)
no, we had to do our normal shopping today, and I was barely making it
@missybear (11396)
I go to the grocery store just about every day, I like looking for deals especially in the reduced meat isle. I always find some good stuff.
@bunnybon7 (36541)
• Holiday, Florida
ive been thinking about it all morning and now ive decided to give son some gas money to go. im going to see what goodies they got but iam worried about all the traffic, people, etc. but still going.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
No, we're too broke! On Friday I'll have a bit of cash and might look for marked down Christmas items to see what I can find.