Corn N Cheese

The other night I wanted something a little different so I took a can of corn and mixed it up with a little butter, salt and pepper as usual, then added sliced hot dogs and cheese...making it a little like mac n cheese only with corn instead of the mac. It was delish! Have you ever done that? Used veggies in place of pasta or rice? I don't eat corn as a veggie. It is a starch and so I use it as such. However, I have done this same thing with green beans and it was pretty tasty, as well. And it makes a one-dish meal. Yummy!
I never made it like that although it sounds pretty good. I used to mix things like that with fried potatoes. We could add weiners and corn and sneak in a little okra and have a whole meal in a skillet!
Oh, yes....my mom was always big on making hash when I was a kid. You can mix almost anything with potatoes to get a good hash. Yummy!
@coffeebreak (17820)
I have never done that, but I have used Mac and Cheese instead of the corn. That is really good too.I have heard of using spaghetti noodles, but haven't done that one. In my later years now, I am all for one pot meals! Make a large pot and then freeze in individual servings and freeze.
Oh, yes...the fewer dishes to wash up the better, right?
@EvrWonder (3577)
Hey this is a neat idea. I have never thought of it but after reading your discussion, I may just try it. When I first seen the headline I was thinking pop corn. I like the way that you use the starch of corn in place of another starch such as noodles. I can honestly say that I haven't even thought of trying the same idea using beans but perhaps. Love your invention! Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure. Glad you liked my idea.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi. alaskanray. I can't say that I haven't omitted pasta or rice out of the recipe equation. I have cooked hot dogs and baked beans like this without having any rice. I also have eaten cooked hamburger and pork and beans together too. I also have ate zucchini and squash together without it being with rice or pasta. Yum!
I like to find new combos for my meals. It just makes it more fun, don't you think?
I've made this but with mac'n cheese in it. However, I think it would be fine w/o the pasta but I don't know that the kids would be as receptive w/o the pasta in the dish.
Well, the whole idea was to replace the pasta with the corn since they are both starches and interchangeable. You can always try it once and decide not to do it again. But that's okay. You don't have to. It was just a suggestion.
That sounds so delicious. I wish you had added a picture. I usually judge if I want to make a certain recipe by seeing a picture of it. If it doesnt look good in the picture then I usually dont make it. My daughter loves corn so I think this might be something she would really like to eat. My son LOVES hot dogs so he would eat all of the hot dogs I put in their since my daughter and I do not eat them. I think this dish would have something that each of us would love in it and make it possibly the perfect meal. I'm a huge cheese lover.
Sorry, I inhaled that baby so fast there was no time to think of taking a picture. It was yummy. I just like to experiment with different food combos. No matter what or how little I have in the house, I can always make it a meal. Yes, I use a lot of cheese, too.
@yoyo1198 (3644)
Corn has been one of my favorite meals since I was a kid. So this would be a good idea for me. I'd also be tempted to add some okra too but minus the cheese. Don't know what okra would taste like with cheese.
It might surprise you. I think it would be tasty but since I haven't had okra since high school, I'm not sure. If you get brave and try it, let me know.
@cssiduyz (1054)
I had never done it and tried it, but now I have not wanted anymore. because I like dizzy if you eat too much cheese. and even then it was too makes me dizzy.
Are there other inventions or substitutions you have made to adjust to your dietary restrictions?
@ElicBxn (60771)
no, and corn aside, I don't eat hot dogs as well
That's okay, Elic. I know you have dietary restrictions. Please share your own adjustments in working around your restrictions.