cars

When a car makes a constant squealing sound as it accelerates, does it mean that the engine is about to blow a gasket? My neighbors car screams as he takes off down our street. I want to let him know what he should do to fix it! Does anyone have any ideas?
Nothing like the good ole fashioned, "here comes my neighbor's crappy car sound". It probably is something simple like a surpentine belt. That would be the obvious problem. If it is something simple like a belt it can be replaced very cheaply and with very little time required. One way to test the belt to determine if it is the problem, after you pop the hood you should be able to tell, is by spraying the belt with wd40. If the sound still occurs it could be pulley for your alternator and should me looked at by a pro.
Great advice, I will help my neighbor with the wd40 test.
No problem Hopefully it isn't anything major.
@owlwings (38179)
• Cambridge, England
It sounds like either a loose fan belt or possibly a slipping clutch. The fan belt is the most likely, however, and is very cheap to fix.
The clutch comment reminded me it may be a throw out bearing going out as these ten to squeal pretty bad when they get worn out. But that would only happen when you use the clutch.
My neighbors car has an automatic transmission, thanks for your opinion. I will pass along what you wrote.
@minx267 (11219)
• Hartford, Connecticut
Sounds like a loose belt.. he could get it tightened.. it happens (the noise) when it's cold... they have a spray that you can usually spray on that too to make the squealing stop (briefly) .. but I doubt anyone is going to take the time to do that before every trip.. It's probably a loose fan or alternator belt.. I have had that happen on my old cars.
I think that he will finally replace the belt when he gets his next paycheck. He told me that he was strapped for cash the whole month of December. Now with the holidays behind us, I think he has no more excuses.
@laura27 (74)
It sounds like it could be a waterpump problem. That the waterpump is about to go out. He should make sure he doesn't see any anti-freeze on the ground. When my geo storm waterpump went out, it use to make a squeal noise sound sometimes when you start the car or when you make a stop at a stop sign or light. Then it will do it again. I'm not no mechanic. Go to your cheapest mechanic or dealer near you to get it diagnoise to see what the problem is. You guys don't want to wait until it goes completely out and not able to move the car.
Thanks for the detailed response, I will forward your words to my neighbor. Hopefully he will listen to your advice.
Could be a loose belt that slips during acceleration. If the sound is coming from under the hood I would almost bet that is what it is. If it is a serpentine belt then it might need replaced.