Moving the baby into her own room

My little one will be 4 months soon, and barely fits in her carrycot anymore. As there isn't space for a cot in my bedroom, this means she will have to move into her own bedroom very soon. I hate the idea. I really couldn't say why, as both my other children were in separate rooms before they were 3 months old. I wake up several times in the night, panicking, to check her breathing. As soon as I know she's ok, I go back to sleep, but when she is in her own room I'm sure I'll be getting up all night to go check on her. Do you have any experience of this? I just don't know how to relax with this, if she even sleeps for a couple of hours without moving I get scared.
@jalucia (1435)
I'm like you in that I'm panicky. I check all of my kids, when they are sleeping, to make sure that they are still breathing. This is why my kids end up co-sleeping with me. They're closer to me, it's more convenient, and I'm more likely to be right there if they should need me. Your baby is still young yet. Is he/she too big for a bassinett, or what about a crib? A baby monitor might help, one with a screen so that you could roll over and see the baby. As a mother, I would never tell you not to panic and don't check on your 3 month old baby as they sleep.
The travel cot is the same size as a bassinet, she's grown really fast. I can't afford a video monitor but I have one which picks up sound, its just not enough to reassure me. I don't remember being this panicky with the others, but my OH assures me I was!
It is kind of funny, but I wasn't this way at all when my daughter was little, but when my son was little that is exactly the way that I was. The best thing that you can do in order to transition to having the baby in her own room is to have really good monitors. You can get the video monitors now which might be able to help you sleep better at night because you could just look at the screen when you wake up and once you realize that everything is okay you would probably be able to go back to sleep.
Video monitors are expensive here, we can't afford one. But either way, I wake in the night and I can't calm down until I put my hand on her chest and check her breathing. I have never had a baby die of SIDS, but she was smaller than my others and I am so panicky over her. If she sleeps for an hour in the day I run to check on her. I'm a nervous wreck. I will be moving her into her room in a week or so, but I don't think I will sleep through
@maximax8 (28490)
A carry cot is suitable for a new born baby but soon the baby outgrows it. Going from somewhere like that to a cot is a bit of a shock for a baby. I have kept my baby in my room until 6 months of age although there hasn't be much space in my bedroom. My daughter is now 18 months old and since she she was 14 months she has had her own room. You see we moved in August 2010 from a 2 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom bungalow. My bedroom is right between my daughter's bedroom and my disabled son's bedroom. It means I can easily get up to them in the night. My disabled toddler son needs catheter care. When my disabled toddler son was 20 months old I took him to South Africa. He slept in a light weight travel cot. We stayed for a couple of nights in a train carriage with little space. The travel cot fitted in just. Maybe you will see your baby sleep well in her own room and it will give you confidence. Good luck.
She has outgrown the carrycot, and it was also starting to go mouldy from her sweat/drool/etc! I threw it out today, it wasn't washable unfortunately. I have put her, temporarily, in a large moses basket. It was my friend's, and it has no mattress but I have lined it with a folded blanket under a sheet so its comfy. She will be going into her room in a week or so, but I don't think I'll stop waking every hour for some time yet
If you still do not have the heart to let your child sleep in separate rooms, why should be enforced? What do you do it not only torture but also to torture yourself with your child, becouse if you feel tormented felt the same thing your child. Wait until you are really ready to part with your child's sleep, becouse if you feel ready, your child was also ready to sleep in her own room.
If I waited until I was comfortable, I'd stil have all 3 of them in my room, and the eldest is 5! I can't keep her in our room because the cot won't fit in there :(
@patgalca (14486)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I had my first baby sleeping in the same room with me, in her own crib, for one night only. She made so much noise sleeping that I wasn't sleeping very well. I quickly moved her into the big crib in another room. The baby monitor was enough for me to be able to hear her when she woke up. My second baby never slept in the same room as me. The only time she slept with me was when she woke up in the middle of the night for a feeding. Hubby got up to get her. He changed her and brought her to me to nurse in bed. We would both fall asleep there. When I woke up I moved her back to the crib. I really don't understand the need to have the child in the same room/bed with the parents. My girls are now 14 and 17 and we are very close. There was no loss of bonding or love because we were in separate rooms.
@sender621 (14956)
When parents first bring a new baby home, they want the child to feel safe and secure. they also want to feel that way too. it can easier to keep the child int the room with you. Eventually, a new baby does need to taken to the shelter and comfort of their own room. it is for everyone's peace of mind.
There are some devises to check on baby while she is sleeping far from you. Maybe that will help you overcome your fears. I think that if you fear, you should do something about it. Try to rationalise what is it really that you fear and why. I would even talk to her doctor about this if I were you. MotherĀ“s insticts are not to be cast away but if they are not founded you also have to know why you feel that.