I have a strange question and am not sure if anyone will be able to answer but..

United States
January 1, 2011 8:36pm CST
My husband picked up a socket set that he bought recently and the container it was in literally fell apart in his hand. The plastic had a weird, sulfur chemical type of smell to it. His sockets even have the same smell. What could cause plastic to do this? Is the smell something that we should worry about? The smell was awful. It smelled like burnt sulfur and kerosene mixed. As far as we know he had not been in contact with any chemicals. I had him to take the plastic out and throw it away outside. Is it safe to even keep these sockets since we don't know what this smell is?
3 people like this
6 responses
@lingli_78 (12852)
• Australia
2 Jan 11
this never happen to me before... if it does, i will definitely straight away bring the stuff back to the store and ask for a refund or exchange regardless whether the socket is affected by the chemical or not... i'm not comfortable to use a stuff that had already been contaminated by chemicals for safety reasons... take care and have a nice day...
1 person likes this
@tigeraunt (6331)
• Philippines
2 Jan 11
hi linda, the socket probably got in touched with some acid that made it crunchy and crumbling. just a hunch though. i never keep chemicals in my home. its good you took it away to get rid of the smell too. its not good inhaling fumes like that. have a nice day. ann
1 person likes this
@bird123 (10319)
• United States
2 Jan 11
Sounds like car battery acid to me.Got old batteries around?? Been charging batteries??? Just leaving the tools near a car battery would probably do it.
1 person likes this
• United States
2 Jan 11
I ran this question past my husband whose response was that it was a bit weird. As long as your husband did not receive chemical burns I suppose that is a plus. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using anything that had such a smell to it. If he still has sales receipts I would also take back to the store you bought them at and see if you can get them refunded or replaced. Namaste-Anora
1 person likes this
@dogsnme (1269)
• United States
2 Jan 11
I've never heard of that before. I don't know what could cause the smell or the container to fall apart like that. I think the best thing you could have done would be to take them back where you bought them. I don't know if it's too late to do that now, though. There must be someone you can call that specializes in hazardous materials and such that might be able to give you some answers. I can't think of who that would be and I wish I could help you further. That certainly is disturbing though.
1 person likes this
@knicnax (2234)
• Philippines
3 Jan 11
I share everyone's sentiment here. This is definitely a chemical reaction. I think that you need to have the item checked though. Bring it back to the store and inquire about it. If they have a leak somewhere, you may be saving lives of people. If the leaking chemical causes sickness, then the employees and the customers may get sick. If there's no leak, then maybe the store should get a new supplier or something.