IRS - having to do their job?

@laglen (19782)
Employers by law must have your W-2s returned to you by January 31st. However, the IRS wont be ready for most of us until the end of February?! http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703384504576056363813029444.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_sections_personalfinance They claim it is due to lawmakers deciding too late on tax cuts. Werent these cuts already in place? Isnt this their "main" job? Keep an eye on their website for changes and updated forms....
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
Well that stinks! Many of us are counting on our tax returns to catch up on bills, fix up or buy vehicles, do necessary things that we keep putting off due to not being able to afford it. I really hope they can get their act together so not too many of us are waiting forever for our returns!
@anniepa (27238)
If it's any consolation, the story in my local paper about this stated "most" taxpayers won't be affected by this delay. Annie
Keeping my fingers crossed then.
@laglen (19782)
I hope so too, and at the end of this article it says it as well. We will see.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya laglen, That sounds like something right out of the hat. Here they have "suddenly" decided that the Unemployment Benefit of 426 Euros is not being paid anymore to those who have not been able to contribute before. This will affect thousands of Men and Women all over this Country. The same as they have "suddenly" suspended the Baby help money too which some Women who are expecting were sort of counting on to buy things for their First Baby. Enough to put you off trying to be happy. Hope they do sort it out. But these lot over here have made definite decisions and that is flat. No more cash for the poorest at the moment.
@laglen (19782)
Its going that way everywhere. I know a lot of people count on it.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya laglen, Yes I can see that happening as well. I don´t know a lot of People but I hear what they say and how they feel about the situation right now. I cannot bear to think what will happen in February this year when their Money is stopped. They are looking for work most of them too as they don´t trust that kind of payout thing they know the mat can be pulled from under their Feet at anytime.
@laglen (19782)
I think now is the time to be inventive and innovative. Find new and improved ways to make money. Otherwise, starve.
@hofferp (4739)
Hey, Laglen, have you missed me? My wireless network went out two weeks ago, and today, I finally got my ISP rep to come to the house. He fixed my network in ten minutes...now why didn't he do that when I called two weeks ago and before I spent $100 getting my computer checked out? Anyway... I work really hard at reducing the amount I pay in to the State/Feds all year long, so at the end of the year, between the State and the Feds, I don't pay anymore OR get any back. I don't want them sitting on my money all year long, when I can sit on it and get interest (even if it is only a few dollars). One year I had it figured out so well, I owed the State less than $1 and the Feds owed me less than $1. It was a wash. Since retiring (and making a little at a home-based business, which is very unpredictable), it's been a little harder. But last year, the Feds owed me ~$150 and I owed the State ~$160. I let the Feds pay me and then I paid the State. I use to not pay attention and let the Feds/State use my money all year long and then I'd wait forever for my refunds...not any more. I don't want them having any more of my money than what they already have. Now for those who don't put any money in and wait for their "refunds", I guess I'll be the bad a** and say, "wait and stop complaining". (Man, I'm getting to be a hard-nose the older I get...) But that doesn't mean I love the IRS. Heck under Obama, they've "upsized" the "Service" such that they SHOULD be able to handle the changes more quickly than what they're estimating. Later...
@laglen (19782)
I did miss you but figured you took the holiday off... Glad your back! You make a really good point about people not paying in and waiting for their return. I cant argue with that! Good job figuring your taxes, mine is usually close but I havent hit it close enough .... yet....
@hofferp (4739)
It's almost become a "game" with me ensuring they get only what's required and not a dime more. I don't think I'll be close this year... I'm betting on a "big" return, but I had to have $90,000 stolen from me to get it... (If you remember I got scammed by an investment firm in California. The IRS notified us to write off the scam as a theft. All I got back out of the $100k I invested was $9945; thus, a $90K theft. I won't be doing my taxes this year...I'll be looking for a good tax accountant.) AND Happy New Year!
@laglen (19782)
ouch! That stinks! be careful who you hand your business to.
@anniepa (27238)
According to this only a small number of taxpayers will have a delay, just those who will benefit from specific new breaks: "Thanks to a December tax package that was hailed as a forerunner of a bipartisan spirit in government, the Internal Revenue Service needs to reprogram computers for new college tuition breaks, teachers who buy classroom supplies with their own money, and Americans who live where there's no state and local income tax to deduct." http://www.presstelegram.com/breakingnews/ci_16932559 Annie
@laglen (19782)
I also saw that it will affect itemizers. Thank you for the additional information.
@anniepa (27238)
I thought that meant just those particular itemizers, but I could be mistaken. Annie
@laglen (19782)
Well, we will be filing soon so I guess we will see....
What I don't like is (here in Canada anyway) if you do your return late you owe interest, but if they make a mistake and don't give you your money back on time, do you see interest because they were holding your money? Nope. And they take so much tax off they always owe it all back to me, but do I get interest because they've been holding my money all year? Nope.
@laglen (19782)
lol its the same way here dear. There is also the discrepancy where people who dont earn anything get the highest returns...
Well I have always thought the tax should be a flat percentage. Of course, people with lots and lots of money can afford lawyers that find enough loopholes that they end up paying no tax at all. Many poor people work harder, longer hours than rich people who have enough money to invest in risky, profitable ventures, and they still end up without enough to live on. When I work full-time to make 20,000 a year or so with no benefits (things are a lot more expensive in Canada, and over 13,000 of that 20,000 goes to rent) I'd like to keep most of that 20,000!
@laglen (19782)
I agree with a flat tax. In US most people that work that dont make much money, not only dont pay taxes, they get money they didnt pay in - amazing
@dark_joev (3043)
IRS doing there job efficiently? well where is the incentive in that. There isn't one I mean hello they are the Government efficiency and logic don't go well with government. Personally we need to get rid of the IRS. Or cut them down to just handling a nationals sales tax I mean really that is what we need in this country a national sales tax. No there main job like 90% of the rest of the Government is to be a sink hole where money is wasted at a higher rate than the return on said money.
@laglen (19782)
Well Joe, if that is their job, then they are doing one bang up job!
Now why does this not surprise me. Yikes, it is actually terrible to hear this as so many count on that return to be able to pay bills. I suppose it is best not to rush and get them completed if there are yet more changes coming. Hmm.. I would have hoped the government was a bit more on top of things. After all, aren't supposedly working daily. I am saving your link and will keep an eye out for the all the updates. Thanks for sharing.
@laglen (19782)
Your welcome and keep all of us updated. There are a lot people waiting for their tax returns