My cat thinks he's a dog...

I got my cat from a Cats Protection shelter about 20 months ago. He's 3 years old now. He is part siamese but mostly moggie. I walked into the shelter and he immediately made me aware that HE was my cat. None of the others - HE was coming with me! He came to live with us a few days later; since then he has been my shadow. I take my daughter to school, he's there. I take my son to mother and toddler group, he follows us and waits 90 minutes til we come out. I go to the shop, the pub, the bakery, he follows - but politely waits by the door and doesn't come in. We went to the park a few weeks back and he walked us there, and waited 3 HOURS to walk us home again! He also drinks out of the toilet. Does anyone else have a cat like Diego?
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
Lol, hello Marianne, i think that your cat really loves you much more than everything. He is true to you and he is worried for you, may be. You never know the hidden feelings of our pets, my cat is biting like a dog, but he doesn't follow me. He follow my mom so much, she doesn't go out often, we don't allow to the cat to leave our home alone, because of old accidents he had when he was not watched. I know from my mom that my Shone follow her if she leave the room, if she is the bathroom or wherever she goes, he is behind her That's funny, because when i lived with them and when i cared for him, the one thing he did is to sleep in my legs, on my bed, nothing more.
He did worry me once, the first time he got up the nerve to cross the road - I was going to the shop and he decided to follow me all the way instead of watching from the roadside. But he freaked out and stopped halfway across a 4 way junction! As I love him as much as he loves me, I went back, stopped the traffic, picked him up and took him with me. He loves to sleep on my bed but creeps in when I'm asleep as he knows he isn't allowed, because the baby sleeps in our room and I worry the cats might lay on her (we have 3). He loves the baby though, I see him quite often peeking into the carrycot or car seat to look at her and give her a kiss!
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
Hello again Marianne, i think that you cat is exactly your cat. You picked it from all others and she loves you because you are the right person for him. It's strange for the cats, because i know that they belong to the homes and dogs belong to their owners - that's all i've heard from people who has pets. One cat loves the home, one dog loves and trust the person who care for it. But it looks like your cat loves you all, whole your family. In my opinion and experience really rare cats appreciate what we do for them. They have strange character, as example my own cat i've cried so much for it, when the car broke his legs, there was surgery and i paid so much about that, we visited vets all the time, he got a lot of cat toys, i bought him the best cat food i've heard that is useful and healthy for cats, even bought him one vitamins cream what he loves, but he still don't love me so much. He follow my mom trying to say "mama" which means mom in english
@lydneis (26)
Yeah I have a cat that walks on a leash and plays fetch. I taught him on accident. He was underfoot while I was trying to exercise so I threw a milk ring expecting him to go play with it. Instead he brought it back. Trust a cat to be difficult.
Of all of the things that you've described that your cat does, there is only one thing that our cats do. That one thing is that they will drink out of the toilet. They always have a fresh bowl of water to drink from, but it seems that they prefer the toilet. Our cats are much younger than your cat is, though. Buttercup is about nine months old and Peaches is about six months old. We got Buttercup from a neighbor and Peaches was adopted from the Humane Society.
@marie2052 (3697)
Interesting that you have a part siamese kitty too. I was volunteering with a vets office and he had a groomer. I would come and clean out the cages the pets were kept in and do the laundry to help them. I came in one morning and Lori had 5 kittens in a carrying crate. All I heard were meows. I looked in the crate and said where did these come from she said paws had dropped them off to be checked out by doc and she had to give them a bath. I looked in and 2 looked like a siamese 1 looked like a snowshoe and the other two were fluffy black and white kittens. All the colors had come from the same mother who was tricolored. I immediately fell in love with two of them one of the siamese that had a white tip on its tail and the snowshoe. I told Lori I wanted one if they were up for adoption and she said why not take two. I said don't tempt me but I had one at home already. Well we bathed them put them in cages and gave them water and food and litter box. Something really attracted me to the Siamese one with the white tip. I finally made the decision HE was the one I wanted and HE was coming home with me. They were all very ill so they were on antibiotics and seperated so I made sure I brought in a special blanket for mine and a bed to sleep in and some kitty toys for him. Started calling him Tink right off the bat. Finally got to bring him home on a Friday night he seemed ok Saturday and by Sunday he was really passive and just laying around again. So I called Lori and she told me to bring him in that morning so doc could take another look at him. I did and he had gotten the congestion in his chest so Doc wound up keeping him another 3 weeks After about a week and half I told Doc if he needed to put him down I understood and I would take one of hte other kittens. But Doc said no he had another antibiotic to try and sure enough the kitten thrived and I got to finally bring him home. He is by my side, sleeps with me, lays on me, never lets me out of his site. Its like he knows I aided in his care and the only way he can repay me is by sticking to me like glue. He has been the lovingest cat and when I dont feel good he will come and lay with me and come up and check on me then go and lay back down. HE is an incrediable animal and I actually cannot imagine my life without him. He reminds me of my chihuhua I used to have that would be wherever I was So yea I think animals interact to you the way you love and interact with them. I couldnt imagine my life without Tink. I am disabled and some days can be long and he is always by me to let me know he loves me the way I was with him every day when he was sick.
@auyuelin (233)
Your cat is really cute,he really act like a dog,maybe he really think he is a dog.My grandma's dog is also like that,everytime i go to my grandma's home,he always walk around me and really active like a kid,never feel tired.However,unfournately,he's missing and never went back
@aparajita (861)
I don't have one but your write up shows how much your cat is grfateful to have you as it's mistress. I almost can feel its pulse.I feel, the cat has associated itself witth you as family the very moment it cast its eyes on you.You are lucky to have such a wwonderful cat. I knew of my neighbours who had named a stray cat as 'The Queen'. She hadquite early to its being petted turned out like 'Beethoven', quite well manered, understanding, diligent and effected a lady-like behavior. It's nice to have understanding pets.
@sender621 (14956)
I thought i was the only one who had a cat who thought she was a dog instead. My cat acts exactly like a dog sometimes. It is almost unreal. How do animals know how they are supposed to behave?
I have a cat that does many things like a dog. He used to play fetch with a foam ball when he was a kitten. If we are in the bedroom, he will scratch on the door to tell us he wants in. He also likes to follow us. We also have to close the toilet lid because he will drink out of the toilet but most of all he prefers to drink from running water in the sink. He is a silly cat but we love him.
@fanzejian (372)
what you said sounds very interesting ,I think .of course ,I never raised a pet ,although I like the dogs very much ,I have no idea that what the feeling of rasing a pet like a cat or a dog ,even a snake. it is ture that you own a good cat ,it must be very cute and obient to you .wish you and your cat like a dog in action lucky everyday.
@kaylachan (4778)
In all actuallity drinking out of the tolit isn't just restricted to dogs. If we let them, our cats would do the exact same thing. (And, only one of the three) have been around dogs, so I know the other two didn't pick it up from watching dogs. And, growing up the dogs we did have never tried it. However, I've got a cat who at times will fallow me around everywhere he can. He's leash-trained too. He loves to sit on my lap while my partner, George, pushes me in my wheelchair... and he will jump into the truck if we get near enough to it. He loves to ride in the truck. If we take him anywhere he'll rub against me and purr. He espically loves going to pet smart. Weather we go to "bandfield" or the actual pet smart stores.... Precious just loves it there. It's his second home...(or so he thinks) I remember one time we were leaving, and he glued himself to my window. He didn't want to leave. However George and I needed to, and I needed to eat. Of course Preciou's disapointment disappeared when we pulled into Mc Dolonds drive through so I could eat.