Car Troubles.. again!

Friday was another day from he**! Seems to be a running theme for me, Fridays are always my worst day of the week. I hadn't been able to get to the gym in about 2 weeks, the first week was due to potty training my son (I found it easier to just stay home until he stopped having accidents), and the second week was due to not having any gas money. So Friday I decided I was going to the gym. I got there no problem.. but half way through my work out I started feeling ill.. I was probably pushing myself too hard. So I left early, get in the car to head to the grocery store, and my car won't start. It's having battery issues, which it had before but I thought we'd fixed it. I tried the few things it usually takes to get the car started (jiggling the battery cables, etc) and after 20 minutes I still couldn't get it started. I had to call hubby to come rescue me. He couldn't even get the darn thing started, so I had to dump all my quarters into the meter so I don't get a ticket, and we all pile up in his car to drop him back off at work while I use his car for my errands. As we're pulling out of the parking lot, something underneath hubby's car drops and starts dragging on the ground... oh goodie! Well we knew his exhaust system was shot, we've been needing to replace that.. apparently it decided to totally give out now and fall off the car. Thankfully it didn't take any other necessary parts with it! (This is a major issue in NY state as they salt the roads in the winter and salt eats through the vehicles after awhile.. so the exhaust system had been rusted). Hubby was able to get my car home using jumper cables to charge the battery, but the battery isn't holding the charge because after you turn it off, it won't start again. He is currently borrowing money from his father to buy a new battery for the car and hopefully that will last long enough until we get our taxes next month when we plan on fixing up hubby's car and getting me a new one! It's just weird because last year we had similar problems with our vehicles.. only it was slightly worse. Last year my van decided to completely die, and hubby's car was in need of serious repairs which we couldn't afford until tax season. So when the taxes came around, I sold the van, took hubby's car (which is the one I'm replacing this year) and he bought himself a used car. Seems as if we're just destined to have car troubles in the months leading up to our tax returns. Though I have to admit part of me is glad it's happening now. Our taxes never last us very long.. so it's best to know before we get the money that we'll need to put some of it towards car repairs, instead of learning after we've spent all the money that we need serious car repairs!
@mtdewgurl74 (18122)
Shoot, I hope that it holds out long enough to be able to do repairs. It seems to be a never ending battle with the vehicles. Maybe buying a newer one will help. When you have children it is never good to be without a car long.
Knock on wood, replacing the battery seems to have done the trick for now. Now I just need to hope and pray it lasts until we get our taxes back!
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
U are having some rotten luck. Seems when it rains it pours. I'm just glad your refund will be enough to get everything fixed. Hope u have a better week.
Our refund is typically quite large, as we get the earned income tax credit for 5 kids, and we'll only spend $3,000 on another car.. I refuse to buy brand new, that's just a waste of money. So we know we have to replace vehicles every few years.
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
I hope u get a large one this time to. Good luck.
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
That's great but u should save some of it for a rainy day because they do come. Of course get out & enjoy some of it for eating out etc. but u never know what's going to happen & heaven forbid anything bad happeneing but i'm just basing what i said on what happened to me.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
If it isn't one thing, it's another. With me, it's not mechanical stuff, it's a sick (for no apparent reason) cat and my daughter having anxiety problems again. What a pain in the patootie!
The same cat that was sick before? Poor thing!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yeah he's been declining for no apparent reason...
That was most definitely a terrible day for the cars in your family. As far as the battery thing with your car goes, I certainly hope that it is just the battery that is really giving you all of the problems and not the alternator. We've had some car problems here as well, but they've been a lot more minimal than yours. One of our things was a battery in hubbies car and now what we've been dealing with is the cold and the cars. You see, hubby's car is a classic car which means that it doesn't have heat and it has just been too cold for him to use it which means I've had to go without having a car.
If it were the alternator, it would start but die on you while you're driving.. I've had that happen before. With the battery it won't start.. but once you do start it won't stall, so basically once you get it going, just don't turn it off! So I replaced the battery and so far so good. We've had problems with heat before.. but not in classic cars. We've had regular cars where the heat just decided not to work anymore. Hubby spent a couple years in a car that had no heat.. and at the time it was our only vehicle, so he had no choice.. he had to drive it, and scrape ice off the inside of the window while driving, LOL.
@lilybug (21182)
I feel you on the car thing. I have my dad's truck right now till I have the money to fix mine or get a different one. I can't wait till I get my tax money back this year. I so need it. Even working 2 jobs right now I am broke.
Cars are expensive! It's almost not fair.. poor people can't afford to get around, get to their jobs, etc. A friend of mine lost her car a few months ago, and can't afford to replace it. She's also waiting on tax returns, but she's been without a vehicle since like October already. Her husband gets rides to work, but she has to depend on rides to get to grocery stores and such.. not fun! And she's got 3 kids.
@ladygator (3469)
Cars are just fabulous arent they? We have an older van and its been giving us a real time. It seems that everytime we turn around its something else. I am just very thankful that I have a great mechanic. I know about that salt on the roads too. Michigan uses it all the time, that and dirt, I guess the dirt it better, but I cant stand how it makes everything look. The way I see it is this, you have many very good things going for you. A potty trained child!!! Who hoo. I know thats exciting, A drive to workout and make a healthier you. Money coming to fix and replace. You have tons of winning things, Forget about Friday being your bad day, thats going to be your new best day!!
Thanks.. but Monday is my new best day! Friday was just awful for so many reasons. Today has been great so far! I got through my whole work out, my car gave me no trouble after getting a new battery. And when I got home from my work out I had a phone call for a job interview on Wednesday! I couldn't be happier right now!
@jillhill (37399)
I remember that you had those woes last year too....lets hope this year you break the pattern and can use your taxes for something else next year.....but then again if you find a part time job that will really help too....good luck to you!
Thanks! A job will mean more wear and tear on my vehicle though! So let's hope we find a good car!
@petersum (4526)
I know a thing or two about Fridays! That was when I borrowed my girlfriend's bicycle to get to work. My car having run out of petrol the previous night, was parked somewhere just waiting to get a parking ticket! I would be waiting for my pay check and begging a lift to the bank from my colleagues in order to cash it. I would advise you to invest in one of those folding bicycles.
Bikes aren't helpful when I have little kids to tote around on busy streets, and need to do grocery shopping!
• Marion, Kansas
Oh, that is a bummer, just when you think you are getting back on track going to the gym. We have a car that always seems to have something wrong with it. Actually, we have several cars and they take turns. It is much more crucial for you because you have small kids and you do not want to be stranded somewhere. I hope that you can hang on until the tax money comes in.
I hope this idea works too.. it will be a major bummer not having a vehicle for a month, especially if I get a phone call for an interview!