Terror in the air!

@jillhill (37384)
My brother in law had to take a flight today from Minneapolis to Miami to attend a conference...well the plane took off on schedule. I was with my sister doing some card making this weekend and she texted him to make sure he made it to Miami. He texted back about a half hour later. Just leaveing Atlanta after an unscheduled layover due to the plane losing parts on take off in Minneapolis!!!!! They had taken off and the plane behind them on the runway saw part of their plane fall off and laying on the runway!! So they had to land in Atlanta and change planes! Personally if it had been me and they told me that the plane had lost parts they would have had to go in and clean my seat up after we deboarded! I would have been terrified! Has anything like this happened to you? What would you be thinking as you were waiting to land at a new airport? Would you have wanted to get back on another plane? I would have checked to see if I could take a bus! LOL
@carolbee (16241)
Sounds like a horrible experience. Did the passengers actually know what happened shortly after take off from Minneapolis? All flights I have been on claim there is an air conditioning problem that keeps them grounded or delays a flight. I get anxious just knowing there could be a minor problem with the plane. I would have prayed and probably been close to tears if I knew there was an issue while the plane was in the sky. Am not the best passenger since I get nervous about being way up there. I can't relax and think about all kinds of crazy things that could happen and I'd never see our kids or grandkids again. Maintenance would have to throw my seat away since it would go way beyond cleaning my seat...lol Am wondering why the plane behind your brother-in-law's plane didn't report this problem to the terminal and have the plane return to the initial airport. I see no point in risking lives.
@jillhill (37384)
I don't either...but everything must have been on the gauges okay..it turns out it was part of the hydrolics for the landing system...they didn't tell them until they were about to land. Scary!
@carolbee (16241)
I guess certain important parts such as the landing gear isn't checked each time a plane lands. Sure makes me feel real safe to fly...lol
@carmelanirel (20979)
Oh wow, that is scary.I am glad your brother in law is fine, am I am sure the new plane won't have any problems like that. This is why I wouldn't mind getting on the plane, because what is the chance that the second plane will also have parts falling off???
@jillhill (37384)
I guess it was part of the hydrolics....must not needed it too bad but still in all very scary!
Oh yeah, very scary, planes are not like cars, you can't let them go like my husband does when a part messes up on our vehicles..lol
@Angelgirl16 (2177)
Every flight that I take, I know that my life is in the hands of the pilots. If something were to go wrong on the flight, whether is is mechanical or problems with passengers there is noting that I can do except pray that the plane lands safely. We put our lives in the hands of others without a thought when we purchase that plane ticket. I have never had to change planes because of a problem with the plane or passenger. I probably would not board the new plane; I would be to afraid that it was a sign to not take the trip on an airplane. Hearing about trouble in the air, such as your brother had makes me very nervous about my next airplane ride.
@jillhill (37384)
It happens so seldom and we can take some comfort in that!
I am happy to know that all survived without any serious injuries.
@gabs8513 (48717)
Well I am very scared of flying I have never flown and this is one of the reasons lol In my case I would not have got on a plane ever again
@jillhill (37384)
He handled it alot better then I would have! LOL
@CatsandDogs (13964)
OMG!! And he did just that?? Is he freaking insane?!! OMG!! HELL NO!! I wouldn't get back on a freaking plane!! I'd find a bus, train or rent an automobile! I'd have found a bathroom first though for the same reasons!! HOLY SMOKES! I knew somebody who flew large planes like that and once a flock of birds got ito the fan part in the wings and he almost crashed but made it to the next airport. Had a very bumpy ride.... FREAKY!!
@jillhill (37384)
He was way more cool about it then I would have been! LOL
@Nadinest1 (2040)
This would have freaked me out as well. I am a great flier when there are no problems and NO turbulence. This problem could have been fatal. Glad everyone is OK.
@jillhill (37384)
Same here....most of the time it doesn't bother me to fly...this would have bothered me big time!
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Mostly I don't worry about stuff like this. If the flight had been rough, that would have bothered me.
@jillhill (37384)
He handled it better then I would have!
@2004cqui (2823)
I would have freaked out! Yuck!
@jillhill (37384)
Me too!
It has never happened to me and I'm beholdened for that to the airline I usually choose. If he were me, I would have panicked and told all my prayers.
@jillhill (37384)
Same here!
hi jillhill oh wow that would have been me too as I would have been just terrified. Yes I think I would have checked out the bus schedules and decided to go by bus instead. I have never heard of a bus losing parts of itself.No I would not have gone any farther via plane. AT least if something happened on the bus it is on solid terra firma. lol. I am not at all gung ho on flying anyway.
@jillhill (37384)
He handled it well...I would have been scared spitless!
@Shar19 (8236)
That really is scary. I think if I was in that situation I'd be anxious to land and then probably find a way to get a car and drive home the rest of the way.
@jillhill (37384)
Me too!
@lingli_78 (12846)
that is really scary... i will be very scared as well if i am in that position and i don't think i will be able to board a plane again on that very same day... i still have to get over my fear and shock to be able to board another plane and that will take some times... take care and have a nice day...
@jillhill (37384)
I wouldn't have either!
I would of been quite upset over this! Seriously why not make the full flight to Miami if they were going to land in Atlanta. And why not have the plane come back in and switch in Minneapolis?? None of this make sense unless the one in Atlanta was the nearest plane not being used? I dunno if the wheel fell off my car I don't think I'd keep driving it KWIM? You stop and get things fixed or find an alternative not just keep on truck'n! I'm glad your BIL is ok. I'd have to agree this is one more reason to add to my list about not flying EVER again unless I had no choice in the matter.
@jillhill (37384)
Yup..I wouldn't have driven on a flat tire either...and go in a plane all the way to Atlanta? What was that all about? Scary!
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
Wow that's scary! It's never happened to me because I've never flown, and nobody I know has ever mentioned anything about this before.. though a Facebook friend was recently held up somewhere due to weather. I definitely think if something like that happened to me I'd probably be thinking about not taking a plane anymore!
@jillhill (37384)
Same here! I fly alot though and have never had anything like that happen!