Too much knowing is not good

Sometimes, knowing too much can take a toll on our mental health. It is of course important to keep the flame of curiosity kindling, but it is equally imporatant to restrict ourselves to know too much about others. I don't know, how many of you'll agree to this, but if you come to know for example, the salary of the other person which may be more than yours, or that, your friend shares a closer bond with your best friend, then things might take a different shape. Take for example books. Just as too much reading give rise to doubts relating to our practical problems and the prevalent dogmas in the sociey or others' take on their opinions, so also knowing much about the technological advancements and the consequences likely to occur might affect our mental state. Just the other day, my friend's son happened to ask her, 'what is the use of studying if all of us must die one day'? or 'why is the colour of our blood red and not green'? then probably too much knowledge at that age as that of my friend may not count.
@CarlHalling (3629)
I couldn't agree more. I think there may be a correlation between excessive knowledge and certain depressive and melancholy conditions...that is if it is not carefully handled: knowledge is powerful. When I was younger, I was motivated by a fierce thirst for knowledge, and while I loved this quest, it set up a dichotomy between my intellectual life, which was constant and obsessive, and my social life, which included a love of being accepted and approved of, and which was if anything even more dear to me: not for nothing did I embark on a career as an actor/entertainer (I also loved to write). I was to some extent leading a dual existence, which was thrilling, but which caused me problems nonetheless. To some degree, I believe I drank to quell excessive intellectual activity, which I came to find troubling. In the end, I could no longer drink for health reasons. At the same time, I became a Christian; yet even as a Christian, I wanted to know and know and know. Today things are a lot better. I channel my knowledge into writing, which is a way of translating this knowledge into something creative. It is wonderfully satisfying and cathartic, and others can benefit from my knowledge thereby. I still pursue knowledge, but not more than my mind can handle. Sometimes I venture into deep territory; but I monitor my activity therein. I believe I've reached a fine balance. Thanks for such an interesting post!
@sender621 (14956)
Sometimes it can be a good thing to know. Other times it can be a burden in knowing too much. If we know too much about somwething or someone, we tend to focus all of our energy there. It can make other things in our lives suffer. We can put too much pressure on ourseelves when all we are thinking about is what we know too much about.
@scheng1 (24748)
Hi Aparajita, actually I find that knowing too much of useless things is not good. However, knowing too much about good things is not enough. For example, many people spend too much time watching TV. I wonder what is the use of that. What does it matter whether the actor marries ten times or two times. The knowledge does not make you rich. I think the knowledge of salary of your colleagues is not too much knowledge. It is too little knowledge. The salary of everyone depends on a number of factors, eg the educational qualification, the working experience, the negotiation power, and the market rate at the moment. If you feel you are underpaid because you enter the company when the economy is bad, and your colleague enters the company when the economy is good, this knowledge can help you. You can find out the market rate for your position and ask for a higher pay. That is how you can use the knowledge to your advantage. However, you have to make sure that all the factors work for you, not against you. If your colleague is a First Class Honor student with three years of supervisory experience, and you are a Third Class Honor student without any supervisory experience, you cannot ask for more pay.
Well, the accountability is not as much in the salary that one gets but the comparison that one makes with one's predicament and the other's.. An iota of bitterness does not go even with the knowledge of recession since we dwell on luck so much. I agree that knowledge of useless things does more harm than good, in that it makes us immobile and good knowledge earned once is not enough. However knowledge continues to establish itself through various ways so long as our intellect is proper in its functioning and beneficiaries of opportunities will further useless and unnecessary comparisons.That's how too much of knowledge,is bad.
Yes, I seriously accept with you.
@dpk262006 (56473)
Hi aparajita! I feel that there is nothing wrong in 'learning' new things and gaining additional knowledge. It all depends how and where we use of knowledge. We need to use of our wisdom, experience and knowledge to solve an issue. It is possible that still some issues remain unresovled, however, we should not hesistate to gain 'knowledge'.
You see there is a difference in continuous learning and too much knowing. We either learn from our mistakes or from the curiosity to know what we don't know. Too much knowing does not make room for learning instead puts a stop to learning more. In other words, focussing on specific interests already learnt and dwelling on it, puts a stop to learning something new.Learning can only take place if a person who has learned enough feels that he hasn't learnt anything. Too much knowing has pride, exhibitionism and suffering hidden in an egotist's mind. If the egotist resorts to acceptance, that whatever is happening isnot only for one's good and is per fect in God's design, then he/she'll know that in this universe, he /she is a speck and his/her knowledge earned, negligible.
@AdalieM (1135)
I am the type of person that knows too much about some subjects, until the day your blood turns cold, that's the day you will wish the things you didn't know now, the things you didn't know then. It hard to explain, while is OK to learn about all there is, there are somethings that are too scary to deal with, is better not to know then to know sometimes, depends on the situation.
Yes, that is why ignorance is bliss.....
I truly believe that there isn't a thing of knowing too much. Our minds are like a unlimited hard drive that can store as much information as that individual so please. However, I would say that boasting and giving the impression to others that you are smarting simply because you claim that you know more is, without an doubt, wrong. Crushing someone's opinion is one of the worst things a person can do to another.
It is in your last line that knowledge comes into play. True knowledge lies in knowing what and how to behave and control our behavior with the right sense of discrimination. Knowing just for the sake of satisfying our curiosity or self-appraisal is mere information and not transformation. We must ask always 'is what we are trying to know benefit us in anyway after all?' Then not knowing probably would be the best answer that one may find out later.
@CatGods (4595)
I have to disagree with you. The more a person knows, the more that they can do. Or the more that they can earn. And some knowledge is coveted because knowledge is power. Those who restrict themselves from knowledge (in my opinion) chose to live in darkness and fear, the old saying that ignorance is bliss. And fear feeds upon it's self. So the more you are afraid, the more you will become afraid. But I think I understand what you are saying. Where I live there are those who can not deal with knowledge because it would take a toll on their mental state of mind. These people are called mentally challenged. They do not have the ability to process and understand.
Ignorance is sometimes bliss and here lies the cream of the topic I have started. If we stay ignorant about something which curiosity may harm then why not? On the other hand, knowledge, the processing of it, the earning and the learning associated with it cannot be attributed to the mentally challenged who have lost the power to use their intellect. We learn from mistakes, but only when we make them, otherwise how is a person called knowledgeable when he goes on repeating them? yet some very knowledgeable people do so. The point then is,what sometimes does contribute to our growth is not Knowledge applied, or shared, but deliberate ignorance.
Too much knowing is not bad at all. What causes problem is our objective. Sometimes we are not clear about our mission in life. Information in itself has no value. What is important is the way we interpret it. For example, there are many friends who has higher monthly income than I do. But that doesn't disturb me at all. Only someone with a low self esteem will get hurt by this. So the problem isn't about knowing. It's about the way we interpret it. I don't know how a book can cause problems in our personal life. But then again it all depends on the way we perceive it. A child may ask questions. This should be welcomed. Inquisitive mind is the basis of human evolution. We shouldn't suppress those questions. On the contrary, we should encourage them in asking questions about everything. Most of us get our education without asking 'why' during the entire course. This is the fundamental flaw of our educational system. When a child asks a questions like that, you should tell him the truth, but in a way that is understandable by the child. This is quite possible. If you approach with sincerity and open-mind you will readily figure out more than one such ways.
What you have elaborately expressed over here is the end of knowledge- wisdom. Wisdom lies in assimilating the knowledge of the temporary and ephimeral in one's living and thinking, sharing without expecting results and looking objectively at everything occuring. What I want you to think is how does it help or do good to someone who say for example learn that the person he/she held in high esteem is not worthy of praise?
@reckon21 (3487)
Actually too much knowing about a lot of things is beneficial to those who knew. When you knew everything it can help you tremendously in choosing your path and doing what is good and bad. You are very lucky if you know too much. But with the power comes with great responsibility, one must not over used it or abuse it. Or else it will be your fall. There are some people who know so much they become boastful and their attitude make them a false God. Too much of thinking highly of yourself because of your knowledge is indeed bad, it will alienate you from people you love.
@elena1969 (154)
It's not important to know everything,it's important to know enough and on time to use your knowledge.If you know more than the average person,you can make the difference between facts,results and analysis.Look around you are surrounded by air-by molecules,by atoms,by nutrinos.Knowledge is power.
@krajibg (11936)
• Guwahati, India
Hi aparajita, Our brains have certain limitation and therefore as new things get in, some others get deleted or piled up in the unconscious mind. Therefore knowing too much is not a real phenomenon. Unless the person is under pressure as he/she has to get through an interview or the like he/she would have to learn. Rather too much learning is good in the sense that Your knowledge does not get out dated.